Enough? 2 X 2" aeroports with Eminence LAB 12 in 3.15 cubic foot box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been modeling for days. I purchased one of Erich's 3.5 subwoofer flatpacks. (Awesomely constructed by the way.) The problem I am running into is location and length/width of the aeroports I want to use from partsexpress.

From the front of the chamber to the interior bracing there is only about 10 1/2 inches of clearance. For a 24hz tune, I would need 15 inches in port length, which is too long. Winisd says that 2 two inch (0.047 meters in Winisd) Precision port flared ports will generate a vent mach of 15, which is acceptable to winisd, but higher than the more standard 10 that I read about. The precision port website calculates that I will need 8.5 inches of length for this tuning.

I know that these ports sizes are considered small, but they seem to model ok. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have attached the information I calculated from modeling. I have noticed that winisdpro gives lower vent mach speed (6-7) for the 4 inch and 2x3inch flared ports. But I kept my original calculations for the moment. Subwoofer vent information and tuning.docx 14k .docx file

I have also attached a snapshot of my winisd pro modeling. For some reason Winisd pro is telling me one 3inch port is about equal to two 2inch ports winisd pro modeling.docx 95k .docx file
Attached Files
File Type: docx Subwoofer vent information and tuning.docx (14.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: docx winisd pro modeling.docx (95.3 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For that sub, I would use nothing less than one four inch port, or two 3 inch ports. There is no way that you will be happy with the two inch ports.

JP
post #3 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

For that sub, I would use nothing less than one four inch port,
I'd use two.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

For that sub, I would use nothing less than one four inch port, or two 3 inch ports. There is no way that you will be happy with the two inch ports.
JP

(Bill I have bought your plans the THTs. Love em', just couldn't the get the wife to love them as much yet so the Lab-12 is going to this smaller project. I'd love to fit two ports, but the lengths are pretty long at about two feet each.)

I found a way to fit a 4 inch port around through the bracing. I can fit a one 4 inch port 13 inches (about 27 hz) or 15-16 inches (about 25 hz). 25 vs 27 hz.docx 94k .docx file

I think I favor the 27hz tuning due to increasing the sensitivity and output about 27hz or so compared to the lower 25hz tuning. There is, however, a steeper roll-off so less deep bass output. I have read the precision ports tend to increase output by about 3 decibles at the tuning frequency compared normal ports, but that could be marketing.

The 27hz tuned port will fire out the left side of the cabinet. I actually like that because my daughter is less likely to try to stick things inside and it fires about 18 inches away from the corner in a very large open layout house. The 25hz tuning would fire out the front baffle directly below the driver.

This have been a great experience and motivates me to build my own cabinets now that I see tradeoffs are always involved any other way.

Am I on the right track here? Thanks for anyone's responses!
Attached Files
File Type: docx 25 vs 27 hz.docx (94.1 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I'd use two.

While I agree with Bill, the idea only works if you were designing the box from scratch. Fit the largest port you can in the box, and enjoy!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page