AVS Forum banner

aerial lr5 clone?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Jrunr 
#1 ·
I just can't see myself spending $9000 on these speakers. this design is exactly what I'm looking for. has anyone tried to clone this system?

#2 ·
I can't help with the DIY clone version, but, I will suggest you look for a used pair to become available. I waited patiently and purchased my pair of LR5's last month. Rose Walnut, with Boxes, in mint condition. I was able to get mine for $3500 for the pair.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33rd  /t/1422546/aerial-lr5-clone#post_22264146

I just can't see myself spending $9000 on these speakers. this design is exactly what I'm looking for. has anyone tried to clone this system?

I would love to see someone clone a speaker such as the Aerial LR-5. I am not sure if the cabinet has any special tricks like some speakers do, like suppose the midrange and or tweeter could be housed in built in separate compartments.

#5 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by mph33rd 

I would love to see someone clone a speaker such as the Aerial LR-5. I am not sure if the cabinet has any special tricks like some speakers do, like suppose the midrange and or tweeter could be housed in built in separate compartments.
Quote:Originally Posted by Martycool007 

I am not sure if the cabinet has any special tricks like some speakers do, like suppose the midrange and or tweeter could be housed in built in separate compartments.

Unless the mid is a sealed back driver (unlikely), it will have to be in a separate cabinet.

I'd bet the Holtz Mini Statements would give these a hell of a run for their money. If you can DIY the cabinets, I think they can be done for

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1422546/aerial-lr5-clone/0_100#post_22265186

I am not sure if the cabinet has any special tricks like some speakers do, like suppose the midrange and or tweeter could be housed in built in separate compartments.
Unless the mid is a sealed back driver (unlikely), it will have to be in a separate cabinet.

I'd bet the Holtz Mini Statements would give these a hell of a run for their money. If you can DIY the cabinets, I think they can be done for

#7 · (Edited)
Hahaha. Ok, well, I was hoping we could make something to match the dynamics, form, and soundstage, without the huge price tag. Something in the 89-92db efficiency would be amazing!

Like if we could make something like this into an 3 way LCR: http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html but maybe utilizing similar
Scan Speak woofers, meds,and a revelator ring tweet? https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-r2904/7000-09-tweeter-black-face-black-plug/

I see a lot of 2 way and MTM designs, but not many 3 way set ups.

:confused::confused::confused: Or, would it even be possible to possibly mod an older CC3 or CC5 to match the new tweets in the newer 7T series?? :confused::confused::confused:

#8 ·
Hahaha. Ok, well, I was hoping we could make something to match the dynamics, form, and soundstage, without the huge price tag.
Dynamics? Nope. A small cone/dome speaker will not give me the dynamics I seek. They all sound compressed, hence my use of the term constipated. As for soundstage, they're just another generic narrow baffle box with wide dispersion which kills accuracy in soundstaging in most rooms. Go download this, it's the Legacy V manual and read pages 31-41 to get some idea of why I feel this way.

Something in the 89-92db efficiency would be amazing!
Too low for me.

Like if we could make something like this into an 3 way LCR: http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html but maybe utilizing similar
Scan Speak woofers, meds,and a revelator ring tweet? https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-r2904/7000-09-tweeter-black-face-black-plug/
Have at it.
At $330 I'd want to see independent measurements of that Scan tweet before I'd consider using it: just because it's TOTL, doesn't mean it's better. In one of my newer designs I'm planning, I looked at some mids. Two drivers by the same company with a 2.2x price differential. I found some independent measurements of them, and whilst the pricier had lower THD, it's time domain response was worse so for how I'm planning to use the drivers, the cheaper one is better for the application and will cost me $1k less.

The SB midbasses in the Anthologies look interesting. I'm picking up a pair in a week from now to test (ordered this AM). Thanks though, I'd not seen that design before.

I see a lot of 2 way and MTM designs, but not many 3 way set ups.
Personally, I only do 3 and 4 way designs these days.

:confused::confused::confused: Or, would it even be possible to possibly mod an older CC3 or CC5 to match the new tweets in the newer 7T series?? :confused::confused::confused:
Can't help you with that one.

In all honesty, you're asking questions that indicate to me you don't have the knowledge base to pull off such a plan successfully. I don't want to dissuade you from DIY, rather I'd like you to be successful. Building a speaker is more than throwing a few expensive drivers in a box; you have to understand all, or at least most aspects of the design and work out which compromises can be made. Please continue to think about the design and ask questions and many here will willingly answer to help you learn and move towards a final design. If you've not ever built a speaker before, build a kit, say the Anthologies. You'll then have a benchmark and you can move then to surround duties or use in another room when your design proves superior. It'll at least give you a benchmark and experience in construction.

Oh, and you'll need some measurement tools (about $US150) and some mostly free software for design. A passive 3 way xover will also prove difficult for a beginner, perhaps one of the reasons it's not done as often.

Reactions: uniquepattern
#9 · (Edited)
^^ +1 Very well said...

There is a lot to acoustics that needs to be considered in the design... Even the room placement/intended use can influence which designs should be considered for your use (such as constant directivity vs omni directional, system sensitivity, ect...)

Id shoot for 96dB sensitive speakers or better if possible... for a number of reasons... :)

#10 ·
I was just raising the question of whether or not it can, or has been done. I didn't raise it for criticism or for someone to tell me they personally don't build speakers like that... it is just a matter of inquisition right now. Curiosity mostly. After all, you don't know what i out there unless you ask..

Thanks for the input. :)

#11 ·
I was just raising the question of whether or not it can, or has been done. I didn't raise it for criticism or for someone to tell me they personally don't build speakers like that... it is just a matter of inquisition right now. Curiosity mostly. After all, you don't know what i out there unless you ask..

Thanks for the input. :)

With enough time and money anything can be done.... :)

#15 ·
Check out this link. These were the first speakers I ever built.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?11873-Dayton-RS-3-way-towers

I think you may have to join the forum to get into that specific area though.
The guys at htguide are great and they use the type of drivers you are looking at. \
Although the above design uses all |Dayton Reference drivers.

Browse through the Missions Accomplished area for all the finished and proven designs.

There is a link in my signature to my build called Project Overkill but I'm afraid it's over 20 pages and most of the pictures don't work anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.