Suggestions on chest rattling bass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. I have 1 HSU VTF-15h sitting in the front right corner of my theater area. Right now it provides more than enough bass to fill my room for watching movies. I don't feel the bass though when there are explosions or any scene with relatively LFE. I want to be able to feel the movie but don't think turning my sub up anymore will be ok since it already rattles my room a little. I thought about Buttkickers but I want the chest rattling bass biggrin.gif

I've been thinking if I were to build 1 or 2 15" or 18" ported or sealed subs and place them behind my theater seating will this get me the results I am looking for. Would this be possible without adding a lot more bass since it is nearfield placement?

I figured with the air that would be being pushed from them that this would give me the effect I'm looking for. Also would it taked anything away from my HSU as far as the sound quality?

I was looking at any of the Dayton's 15 or 18 inch subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
How big is your room?

What mains are you using and where are they crossing to your sub?

Are you able to take measurements?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
What is your budget? You might also consider selling the hsu and building multiple identical subs. The hsu is a good commercial product, but it isn't anything special, you can easily best it.
biglen likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Have you measured the frequency response from your HSU at the listening position? Do that first before considering more subs. You may have a dip/null in the 'chest hitting' area of the bass spectrum. If the FR is perfectly flat and you're past that part....then add more subs. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Behind the seats will have an effect of the push coming from the back. I installed an 8 inch sub on my PC (For games) and its directly behind the monitor and I tell you, when someone shoots you with a shotgun infront, my heart stops. It has a stronger effect compared to my 15 inch sub as its closer and directly infront.

Try experimenting if you can move the subs closer to you, if space permits
post #6 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

What is your budget? You might also consider selling the hsu and building multiple identical subs. The hsu is a good commercial product, but it isn't anything special, you can easily best it.

You say it can easily be bested. What sub, amp and size enclosure would be able to do that and what would be the total cost. Can you do it for half the cost of the HSU?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The HSU has great output capability, but it really starts to roll off at 30hz, and its 20hz output is significantly down in level compared to the higher frequency content, even with one port plugged. So if you really want to get a greater perceived level of rumble, your goal should be flat response to 20hz as the minimum. If you dont have a size requirement this will be easier, the smaller the box, the harder it is to gain output at lower levels. A horn sub would be the cheapest route to max output for the smallest cost, but a large ported sub can work as well.

The F20 design will get you 115db at 20hz from a $130 woofer and a 300 watt amp, and an EQ. Basically a build for half the cost of a vtf15.

29.375" wide, 20" deep, and 60" tall

post #8 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
scott offers sage advice. measuring your frequency response in order to see what you have is the right first step.

second, chest rattling bass is mostly a function of being able to reproduce uncompressed high spl than just about anything else. if your chest isn't rattl'n, you don't have enough spl. the frequency that you are looking for is in the 50-150hz region. that region is very tactile and is where you will find your bass drums, low guitar frequencies, lower synths frequencies, etc. you want 120db minimum at the listening position potential. that will almost certainly require more than one small hsu sub--not taking anything away from hsu. their subs are fine and they make a mid bass module for this purpose. i'm not sure if that is a comment on the lackluster performance of their mains, their subs, or both.

jay mentions the f20. properly placed in your room, it will do the trick, but start with measuring as even an f20 can underwhelm if your are sitting in a big null.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 375
+1
YES, check for NULLS!!!

I went for the easy-button equivalent to this, just put a 50-300hz filter on it and you are g2g.

8 of these would be some seriously serious chest rattling bass; I would fear for your walls/hearing/wife/neighbors. biggrin.gif

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Some brutal 50-90hz stuff, like this, right? tongue.gif

post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that one actually has a lot of bass at 35hz, but the f20 will handle that with ease.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

that one actually has a lot of bass at 35hz, but the f20 will handle that with ease.

Is that the snapshot of the original or of mine?
If it is, I wouldn't put too much faith into the spectral accuracy of the 5 cent microphone I'm using, it tends to distort a tonne wink.gif

How about this one?

post #13 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

just ran it off the youtube.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

here is a sample.

most of the bass is 55-130hz or so, but there is still reall strong power to about 38-160hz or so.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page