Easiest way to pull driver out ... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
DIY Speakers and Subs > Easiest way to pull driver out ...
pbc's Avatar pbc 06:24 AM 08-05-2012
I know I've read this in some threads, but what is the easiest way to pull a driver out of a box that has been stuck there for a while? In the past I've kind of tilted the box forward and caught it (put soft pillows under it just in case), but this isn't overly bright for several reasons and I'm always frightened of either cracking the wood around the circular cut out or the cone being damaged.

Metal hooks of some sort or wire?

Erich H's Avatar Erich H 07:21 AM 08-05-2012
Mrkazador's Avatar Mrkazador 11:22 AM 08-05-2012

I had a stuck driver and a metal hook wouldn't pull it out. I actually did some small damage to the enclosure from pulling so hard that the pick slipped from the hole. Luckily the terminal plate was right behind the driver so I put the screws back in just enough and pushed a piece of wood through the terminal plate. Budged it enough that the metal pick was able to pull it out.

N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 04:39 PM 08-05-2012
I've had to use the paint can lid removers a few times. I have one driver that is pretty much glued in. A man that one will suck to get out on day lol
Face2's Avatar Face2 08:57 PM 08-05-2012
Loosen the screws just enough so the woofer can move then play some deep bass notes. Sometimes just leaving the screws loose overnight is enough for the driver to come free.

DIY speaker?
qguy's Avatar qguy 08:23 PM 08-06-2012
Great Idea !!! ....will it work for tweeters biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

Loosen the screws just enough so the woofer can move then play some deep bass notes. Sometimes just leaving the screws loose overnight is enough for the driver to come free.
DIY speaker?

Socketman's Avatar Socketman 08:59 PM 08-06-2012
i have had this happen to my diy's, i threaded a large woodscrew lightly in a hole and used a spoon hooked on the screw head to leverage it out.
Poison Nuke's Avatar Poison Nuke 12:59 AM 08-09-2012
if possible, lay down the enclosure so that the drivers are topside, remove the screws and then search for some bigger screws which fit in the holes of the basket and lift the chassis with the screws.

Is there no terminal in the enclosure? Sometimes it is possible, after removing the terminal, to push directly the magnet of the driver.
Up