background music system for museum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a total idiot when it comes to audio systems...so I'm hoping to find some folks willing to help me. What I need to do is pipe music into several rooms of a historical house museum. I just want background music...not loud, nothing fancy. I have 15 or so MP3 files that I'd like to have played randomly to create some ambiance in the museum. There isn't a computer to play the music from, and I don't want to have a computer as part of the system. Just Mp3 files piped into several rooms from some kind of player. Also, I'll be connecting it to a light switch so that it powers up when someone turns on the lights.

Many thanks for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 985
how long are the runs from the source to the speakers?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's hard to answer...it's a late 1800's house with a small foyer with staircase leading to 2nd floor. Each room is about 15 x 15 feet and there are 6 rooms. Not all rooms would need speakers...it's OK that the music would come and go as the guests moved from room to room. I'm guessing that two speakers downstairs and one upstairs would be fine. So I'm going to guess that the sound system would need to go at the far side of the house on the first floor (there's an area off limits to guests where the HVAC unit is)and that the furthest speaker would be 20 - 30 feet away.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 158
This might do it, Lepai 4x25W Desktop Mini Amplifier with Remote USB MP3 SD FM it won't start up on its own when the power is turned on, I don't know of any that will. It should work great for playback at low levels, it's 2 ohm stable so if you use speakers that are rated at 8 ohms it can run 4 pairs of them (8 speakers total).

Unfortunately it's out of stock right now.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You could also use an ordinary receiver with an iPod dock or that can playback media off a thumb drive, and connect speakers via an impedence matching speaker switch:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-974&utm_source=googleps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 985
that is close enough that any ordinary receiver or amp will be fine.

now you just need to choose some speakers and make sure that you wire them up so as not to blow up your amp.

there are several out there and i haven't been following them, so i don't know which direction to point you.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page