Wife doesn't like black satellite speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved to a new house, and started laying out plans to mount my piano-black satellite speakers. That's when my wife casually asked: "Are you planning to hang those black speakers in our family room? Can you paint them to match the walls."

So much for that.

Now I'm brainstorming ways to make this work. I could build tight fitting, painted boxes for each speaker. I could go really jooky and cover the speaker in blue painters tape, then paint them. I could try to mount them inside the wall.

None of these solutions sound that great, so I thought to ask the best minds on the internet here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
How about some new In-Wall speakers? Sounds like a perfect time to upgrade. wink.gif

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Or you could just buy some in-wall speakers to use for your surrounds. I assume your front channels are also piano black, is she fine with keeping those near the TV or is she just against speakers in general?

As long as you get some nice in-walls, they will sound just fine with your front channels. And you can paint the grill covers just like you would the wall that they are mounted in. They would blend in perfectly with the surroundings and get her off your back and you would still have your surround sound.

Surrounds don't really get much signal sent to them anyway.

Additionally, you could just step up your game and sell her on your plan. Everything is in life is a negotiation, make a deal...
post #4 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

How about some new In-Wall speakers? Sounds like a perfect time to upgrade. wink.gif

I must type to slow, you beat me to it
post #5 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayHRC51 View Post

Additionally, you could just step up your game and sell her on your plan. Everything is in life is a negotiation, make a deal...

This is very true. Except I don't have a whole lot of equity right now--I spent more than I had convincing her that our garage should be used as my workship/hangout area rather than actually be used to store her car. "Fixing" the speakers would help me get out of the red.

Trust me I am tempted to buy my way into a solution, but I'd really like to fully explore my options to use what I have before going that route. (and trust me I've considered moving the whole setup into my new workshop/hangout and getting a completely new setup in the family room...maybe someday).
post #6 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Woman really do get on my nerves. Is there anything that they don't complain about? We don't tell them anything about their hundreds of pairs of shoes and their constant needs to get their nails done. The way that I see it is that if we don't complain about that crap then they shouldn't complain about our electronics!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Man Cave.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Good on you forrestjames. Gotta keep the ladies happy!

This is totally off the wall (no pun intended), but what about double sided tape and wallpaper coverings to match "her" room. biggrin.gif It would only cost a few bucks, it might turn out good, and is reversible as opposed to painting them. Hmm, to get you further out of the red...she picks the wall paper and you still get your speakers in the room. lol.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

Woman really do get on my nerves. Is there anything that they don't complain about? We don't tell them anything about their hundreds of pairs of shoes and their constant needs to get their nails done. The way that I see it is that if we don't complain about that crap then they shouldn't complain about our electronics!

My guess is you dont get much do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Man Cave.

Perfect solution smile.gif Before any renovations of the house took place, I laid claim to the "soggy gross" basement and there was absolutely no fighting over it. Once it was done and not "soggy and gross" anymore she absolutely loved it. The in-between time when I was crawling into bed sometimes at 3:00am on a week night after wiring or painting or something, but I can understand a little frustration at that...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #10 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

Good on you forrestjames. Gotta keep the ladies happy!
This is totally off the wall (no pun intended), but what about double sided tape and wallpaper coverings to match "her" room. biggrin.gif It would only cost a few bucks, it might turn out good, and is reversible as opposed to painting them. Hmm, to get you further out of the red...she picks the wall paper and you still get your speakers in the room. lol.

This is an interesting idea, and would take care of 4-sides of the speaker. But what about the grill? These have cloth grills...which I suppose I could make some custom ones to fit into the peg holes.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestjames View Post

This is an interesting idea, and would take care of 4-sides of the speaker. But what about the grill? These have cloth grills...which I suppose I could make some custom ones to fit into the peg holes.

There is a place online that will screenprint anything for you, onto any type of fabric. I looked at making acoustic panels this way for a while with movie posters as the screenprinted cover material, but ended up going with plain black panels. I have a local shop where they guy does this as well with paintings and such, but behind the painting (in a 2-3 inch thick wood frame) is a cutout in the sheetrock between studs and a shelf capable of fitting a 7 inch deep speaker. That's not the deepest, but it is the best hidden speaker setup ive ever seen biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12 of 14 Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
whatever you do , don't go in-walls!! once you do you can almost Certainly never go Back!! The Wives Love them.. Ive been fighting my way back into A Box for the 2 Front Mains the Last 2 years!!
post #13 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 19
cover them in granite that matches the granite countertops she had to friggan have wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #14 of 14 Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestjames View Post

You can get grill cloth in lots of different colors. Its pretty easy to swap it out.

http://www.speakerboxesusa.com/fabric-grill-cloth/?gclid=COmW8N_3lrICFQcGnQodiAQADw

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page