Seeking advice...more subs or not... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Hi guys...Seeking advice..I think I have a virus...I feel I need more bass!!! Does it ever end???

Current setup:
HT Room 16x14x7 (Soundproofed but still need to do the acoustic panels)
7.1 setup
4x MFW-15 in 4x 3.5cuft cabs (2 per corner stacked in the back of my room)
2x 12" subs in the front (1 per corner)
Driven with a FP10000Q clone (1 channel driven per corner)

I'm pondering 2 options:
Option 1:
Buying 4x IXL18.2.2 and putting those in the back and bringing the 4x MFW-15 to the front.
OR
Option 2:
Buying 4x Infinity Reference 1262W in 4 cabs and put 2 per corner in the front.

Of course solution 2 is way less expensive but am wondering if it's enough?
Would there be a big difference between option 1 and option 2 to justify the difference?
My friends think I'm nuts...am I?

Just wondering before I go with either setup if I may be making a mistake.
Oh ya, I'm also trying to get the smoothest response/sound I can...hope this makes sense

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 882
sell what you have, buy 6 ixl's 4 up front, 2 in the rear. DONE!!!!! I really need to figure out how to get some subs in the back of my theater... no corners back there. haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #3 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I like option 1 but put the ixl 18s up front.
post #4 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I like option 1 but put the ixl 18s up front.

Not necessarily. If OP has determined the rear of the room location yields the best response, then definitely put the firepower back there and fillers up front. Otherwise, the ixl's up front would look WAY cooler...

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #5 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2 problems guys...
With the subs in the front the sound is terrible...no bass
I have much, much more bass with the subs in the back.

I tried 1 per corner ( the 4x 15") and there's not enough bass.
with the 4x 15's in the back = WOW major bass.

I've since added the 2x 12 in the front and it's sounds a lot smoother.
You guys both are unanimous about getting 4x 18's vs 4x 12's.

That's over 1000 dollars difference and was wondering if there's that much of a difference.
Is there?

2nd problem is I cannot put 18's in the front cause they will block my screen image.
the 15's is already at it's limit.

I really wanting to buy the 4x 18's but just don't know if it's overkill vs 4x 12's.
I'm asking you guys cause you guys know WAY more than I do!

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #6 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I had 8 sealed 15s behind me, 4 per corner stacked. I had major output and very tactile but also an issue with localization, always knew the bass was coming from behind me. I added some more subs up front, but that location didn't yield the best response for me. I ultimately flip flopped my room so the screen was where the seats used to be. Now that my subs are three times farther away it's been more work to get that same tactile feel. Everything else is better though including the bass overall confirmed by ear and measurements. That's why I was suggesting to put your big guns up front but if that spot is poor then no good.

Do you have anyway to measure your room response?

And yes to 18s vs 12s IMO because although it is more expensive it offers a lot more displacement and will probably go father in the upgrade race.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had 8 sealed 15s behind me, 4 per corner stacked. I had major output and very tactile but also an issue with localization, always knew the bass was coming from behind me. I added some more subs up front, but that location didn't yield the best response for me.

WOW that must've been crazy!
In my case just adding the 12's in the front helped alot.
On the bonus side, adding the 2 12's in the front dramatically decreased the room above my HT from shaking.
It's like it's cancelling the bass from going upstairs...I actually like that alot so does the wife!

I'm really leaning towards 4x IXL 18's and then hope it's the last time I order subs...this is just getting crazy!
What is the recommended cabs size for the IXL 18's?
Also I've sent Mark @ IST an email a few days ago and am not getting a response.
It says sold out on the website but am wanting to know when they will be available.
Hope he's OK.

Thanks again for all the help...I really appreciate it.

Regards,

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #8 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Subs spread out in multiple locations also lessened some of the house shake for me as well. Not sure about optimal box size. I do know they are getting a thorough redo so that's probably the delay. Try giving Mark a call he responded to my voice mail promptly. Good luck and the madness doesn't end, just transitions to other areas smile.gif
post #9 of 34 Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

Good luck and the madness doesn't end, just transitions to other areas smile.gif

Haha, couldnt have said it better my friend. Seems as soon as I find a happy place in one spot, I go and upgrade another. Truly a sickness, but dang I love being sick....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #10 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 2779
I'd be wary of mix & match subs. Whatever you buy, they should be able to do the whole job by themselves. beastaudio got it right.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #11 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Hi guys...Seeking advice..I think I have a virus...I feel I need more bass!!! Does it ever end???
Current setup:
HT Room 16x14x7 (Soundproofed but still need to do the acoustic panels)
Just wondering before I go with either setup if I may be making a mistake.
Oh ya, I'm also trying to get the smoothest response/sound I can...hope this makes sense
Thanks

The mistake you're making is "putting cart before the horse," and I don't hear anyone steering you straight. Treat the room acoustics, then determine your required driver complement, as no combination of drivers or EQ can overcome issues based in acoustics.

Your room dimensions tell me you're in a basement, below grade, so cinderblock walls. And you're soundproofed it, so no sound can get out (same as no sound can get in). This is worst case, and it gets worse!

Dimensions tell me you have coincident modes, exact at 80.7, very close at 35-40. Do some measurements and see if you don't have large variation in bass level with position at these frequencies.
Mode Adjacent mode spacing
40.4 5.0
70.6 30.3
80.7 10.1
80.7 0.0
105.9 25.2

One seemingly small change fixes that - make the room 16x12x7 and you get rid of the coincident modes. 11' is even better. Too bad walls are hard to move.
47.1 11.8
70.6 23.5
80.7 10.1
94.2 13.5

The other approach to coincident modes would be to add tuned absorbers at the appropriate frequncy range. I did a quick search and this link seems to have a lot of the relevant information, including formulae for construction. However, if you go the DIY room treatment route,spend the $20-40 on Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics as he goes into a lot more detail!!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/articles/practicalacoustic.html

For example, a window with an airspace behind it forms a membrane absorber. 1/8" thick glass has a density M of 1.6 lb.sq ft. With a 12" backing depth, D, you have peak absorbance at 38.8 Hz, just where you need it. The area of the membrane determines the Sabines of absorbance. Granted, indoors you'd make it a mirror, or use a different membrane material, but the concept's the same. Also note that membranes have very low Q compared with Helmholtz, making Helmholtz a better fit for your need, but I had the membrane example already done.

Have fun,
Frank
post #12 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

The mistake you're making is "putting cart before the horse," and I don't hear anyone steering you straight. Treat the room acoustics, then determine your required driver complement, as no combination of drivers or EQ can overcome issues based in acoustics.
Your room dimensions tell me you're in a basement, below grade, so cinderblock walls. And you're soundproofed it, so no sound can get out (same as no sound can get in). This is worst case, and it gets worse!
Dimensions tell me you have coincident modes, exact at 80.7, very close at 35-40. Do some measurements and see if you don't have large variation in bass level with position at these frequencies.
40.4 5.0
70.6 30.3
80.7 10.1
80.7 0.0
105.9 25.2
One seemingly small change fixes that - make the room 16x12x7 and you get rid of the coincident modes. 11' is even better. Too bad walls are hard to move.
47.1 11.8
70.6 23.5
80.7 10.1
94.2 13.5
The other approach to coincident modes would be to add tuned absorbers at the appropriate frequncy range. I did a quick search and this link seems to have a lot of the relevant information, including formulae for construction. However, if you go the DIY room treatment route,spend the $20-40 on Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics as he goes into a lot more detail!!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/articles/practicalacoustic.html
For example, a window with an airspace behind it forms a membrane absorber. 1/8" thick glass has a density M of 1.6 lb.sq ft. With a 12" backing depth, D, you have peak absorbance at 38.8 Hz, just where you need it. The area of the membrane determines the Sabines of absorbance. Granted, indoors you'd make it a mirror, or use a different membrane material, but the concept's the same. Also note that membranes have very low Q compared with Helmholtz, making Helmholtz a better fit for your need, but I had the membrane example already done.
Have fun,
Frank

I'm having similar problems still with my acoustics in my basement.. Do they have a book "room acoustics for dummies"? Seems like with the cost of treatments it could get plenty expensive..

In my specifc case I have a drywalled basement (even ceiling).. the room is shaped like an L and in the 1 corner of the L is sticks out.. sorta like this (looking from the top down):

|
|
|
|=====
XXXXX|
XXXXX|
=============

Maybe 5 foot by 5 foot... So I can't even put a sub back there.. The entire center of the room (without XT Audyssey and even a bit with it) is like 1 big mode...

Mike
post #13 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Unfortunately, I think there should be a book called, " Don't build your theater in an L-Shaped Room" which is what I did as well. They just dont play well at all

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #14 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Unfortunately, I think there should be a book called, " Don't build your theater in an L-Shaped Room" which is what I did as well. They just dont play well at all

Yeah, I agree... I'm not sure how much is even due to the L shape versus concrete walls versus the duct work that was drywalled over in the ceiling.. To me it seems like there is quite a bit to room acoustics.. some of it proven and some of it just recommended.. And even so I'm not sure which would apply to my setup...

I don't mind diving into it a bit but it seems like I could spend years and lots of money to engineer the basement just right (or even just a little better). And finding someone in my area where I live (in PA) that understands it would probably cost me a small fortune (waaaa I know but just venting (no pun intended)).

Mike
post #15 of 34 Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

sell what you have, buy 6 ixl's 4 up front, 2 in the rear. DONE!!!!! I really need to figure out how to get some subs in the back of my theater... no corners back there. haha

beastaudio,

this is making more and more sense to me, I'm just wondering if I sold all 4x MFW-15's and bought 4x IXL18.2.2.
Will that make a pretty big difference?
I would put 1 per corner but would have to raise my screen a little so it doesn't block the screen.
I would connect 1 sub per channel on the 10000Q. (Is this fine?)

Thanks for your help

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #16 of 34 Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeciccarelli View Post

Yeah, I agree... I'm not sure how much is even due to the L shape versus concrete walls versus the duct work that was drywalled over in the ceiling.. To me it seems like there is quite a bit to room acoustics.....
I recommended Everest, even though I haven't finished my first read, because he talks about both diagnosis and remedy.

Non-rectagular rooms are very difficult to model, but no harder to measure. Concrete walls provide sound isolation, but also insure room mode issues from that isolation. The OP's room is rectangular, so room mode predictions are easy, but must still be verified. Regardless the specific frequencies of interest, there are options for addressing just about any situation, with a little imagination. If you understand the principles, you'll also start to see how everyday household content affects sound, and why, for example, windows are great bass traps, made better by curtains, and the wife's knitting is on your side.

Experiment for yourself in a problem environment and I bet you can identify the big problems. Once you identify a specific problem, there'll be remedial approaches available. My HT is stick construction, so my measurements don't show a lot of the issues you're seeing, so I can't really suggest anything specific... until a problem is defined.
HAve fun,
Frank
post #17 of 34 Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

beastaudio,
this is making more and more sense to me, I'm just wondering if I sold all 4x MFW-15's and bought 4x IXL18.2.2.
I would put 1 per corner but would have to raise my screen a little so it doesn't block the screen.
I would connect 1 sub per channel on the 10000Q. (Is this fine?)
Thanks for your help

I dont see the t/s parameters on their site, but IIRC, the MFW's dont have as high an x-max, and can't handle as much power, so youll be able to throw a little more at a quad ixl setup. The overall difference between what you have now and new drivers, if all else is kept the same, is some additional displacement, and a little more output. I wouldnt go through the trouble if you just plan to stop at 4 ixl's, I would keep the MFW's and start adding biggrin.gif but if you go up to six or so, it makes more sense, since it is quite hard to find the MFW's anymore.

The IXL's are dual 2 ohm so one per channel is the sweet spot for that amp @ 4ohm stereo.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #18 of 34 Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

beastaudio,

I've been reading all I can on the FTW21's that I can find and am convinced I should buy 2 of these.
I would put the 4 MFW15's in the front and put the 2 FTW21's in the back.

Would this make sense or does the difference between the 2 subs going to ruin my sound.
I really appreciate your help...thanks.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #19 of 34 Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Setup right, they will be fine together. You won't be sorry if you get the 21's woo baby!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #20 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Setup right, they will be fine together. You won't be sorry if you get the 21's woo baby!!

N8DOGG,

Thanks
I've sent an email to Mark about purchasing 2 FTW21's.
Now I need to build 2 cabs for them and am not quite sure on the size I should do.
What would you recommend?
It will be driven by a cloned 1000Q at 4ohms so 2000watts per cab.

thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #21 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd do 6-7 CF. That will be perfect with your amount of power. Anyone thats built with these drivers and I have talked to afterwards has nothing but awesome things to say and all that I've talked to have build between 5-7 CF. Mine are 6 CF boxes.

post #22 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I owned 2 of the MFW-15 subs and then did the Turbo upgrade designed by Mark Seaton and Kevin (Sandbagger). The Turbo is a significant upgrade to the stock MFW-15 and you can sell the amp and driver to help with the upgrade price. You get to use your nice MFW-15 cabinet (at least mine were nice) and you don't need to rethink how you will have subs setup in the room.

There has been quite a delay on any more Turbo kits, but I read that they now have 24 drivers to fulfill current orders and will be getting 48-96 more drivers. The nice thing about the kit is that it is plug and play with the limiting and EQ already done to the Dayton amp so that these play perfectly to their maximum capacity.
post #23 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no disrespect to you desertdome but I've been wanting those dam FTW21's for a while now and am ready for them.
+ I love the 10000Q. don't want to get rid of it.

N8DOGG,
Does this size of box work?
28Hx23Wx23D

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #24 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I'm just wondering if I sold all 4x MFW-15's and bought 4x IXL18.2.2.

FWIW, I had 6 MFW's at one point in my room, now I have 4 LMS's and the difference isn't even close. Output, extension, and more importantly (to me) SQ has risen to a COMPLETELY new level. I'm sure the IST drivers will perform similarly.
post #25 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no disrespect to you desertdome but I've been wanting those dam FTW21's for a while now and am ready for them.
+ I love the 10000Q. don't want to get rid of it.
N8DOGG,
Does this size of box work?
28Hx23Wx23D
Thanks

thats 7 CF, ya it will work great, though you can go smaller with very little ill effects if you needed to.

post #26 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

FWIW, I had 6 MFW's at one point in my room, now I have 4 LMS's and the difference isn't even close. Output, extension, and more importantly (to me) SQ has risen to a COMPLETELY new level. I'm sure the IST drivers will perform similarly.

WOW edoggrc51...that's reassuring to read...thanks for sharing...I can't wait now...
I hope Mark has them in stock now

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #27 of 34 Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thats 7 CF, ya it will work great, though you can go smaller with very little ill effects if you needed to.

I'm fine with those measurements.

What if later on I decided to bridge the 10000Q to 2 channel...would that be too much power for the FTW21's?
Thanks again...

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #28 of 34 Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd do 6-7 CF. That will be perfect with your amount of power. Anyone thats built with these drivers and I have talked to afterwards has nothing but awesome things to say and all that I've talked to have build between 5-7 CF. Mine are 6 CF boxes.

I saw that you had posted this in another thread (can't find it) but I had downloaded this:
CutSheet.jpg

I'm having a hard time calculating the volume of this cut sheet.
Is this 6cu.ft?
Will this work for the FTW21?
Do you have to do 1 1/2" thick all around?

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #29 of 34 Old 08-17-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya those are the ones I built, they are perfect for the FTW 21. I used 3/4" mdf double baffled front and back with a bit more bracing, though the extra bracing it's not really needed. If I remember it's 6.2 CF or close to that with driver. They were a Neo Dan easy build.

post #30 of 34 Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya those are the ones I built, they are perfect for the FTW 21. I used 3/4" mdf double baffled front and back with a bit more bracing, though the extra bracing it's not really needed. If I remember it's 6.2 CF or close to that with driver. They were a Neo Dan easy build.

Thanks again for your help.
I will start building my 2 boxes soon.

One last question...the outer and inner baffle cut holes dimensions look to be for an 18" driver?
If yes then what are the cut hole sizes I need to do for the FTW21?

thanks again...I really appreciate it.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page