Time for a subwoofer upgrade, sonotube design help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster. I am looking at upgrading my entire setup for my family room where we watch all of our tv. 75% cable, 20% movies, 5% music. I just got a new receiver after my last one died, got a Denon AVR-791 (so far I love it). Fronts are currently Cerwin Vega 12" floor standers, but I will be building a set of AviaTrix when everything comes back in stock. The one thing I am lacking is a sub that is worth a darn. I currently am using a 10" KLH that I got from best buy like 12 years ago. Its weak and sounds like crap. I currently have a 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect literally collecting dust in my basement left over from my car audio days. I am thinking about building a sonotube setup. I have the tools and ability, just need design help. I have been playing with WinISD and Sonosub all morning, but I cant seem to come to any good conclusions. I have a basic design using 24" sonotube and a volume anywhere from 4-5 cu ft with 2 x4" diameter ports tuned anywhere from 18-23 hz. I am either having problems with over excursion, high port velocities and/or crazy long port length. Amp is open for suggestions. Any help/suggestions? I did find a thread where someone was bascially asking the same question, but it kind of died off with no build. Room is 23Lx14Wx8H. TV is setup on center of 23' wall. Any other questions, ask away, thanks for any help! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Do you have the model number for that Infinity, or the t/s specs, I can take a crack at it.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's an infinity an kappa perfect 12.1. WinISD actually has the driver in its built in database. If you can't find them there, i will pull them from my version. Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Well it looks like you have chosen a good volume and tuning point. I have it modeled in a 5 cu ft enclosure which if using 24" sonotube makes your internal hight about 19", tuned 23hz makes two 4" ports come in at 23" long. So there is no way you can get them to fit without putting a 90 in there which should be no problem. Come up about 15" with the elbow and you should have plenty of room for the rest to run horizontal. I am not the best at giving amp suggestions but the Dayton SPA250 is a good value and has the subsonic filter in there at 20hz to keep your cone excursion under control and should give you some nice solid output from 20hz on up that will blow the KLH away. You just have to make a little box for the amp or find a creative way to mount it to the sonotube.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page