Totally off topic.... Headphones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ok, so, my almost 14 yr old son says he wants some Dr. Dre Beats head phones. I look at the price and get sick, cause i know they're garbage.....

They arrived today and much to my suprise(not), they sound like garbage, Lol......

I go grab my 15yr old Grado RS60 headphones to see whats going on and..... My 15 year old Grado's still sound totally UNREAL even with compressed ipad itune files....

So I'm rediscovering headphone listening, when i wondered how tough it would be to blend a sub with headphones, would they be nearfield ??

PS: i should do a slight review if i'm going to slam the Beats. Bloated bass, tincan echo, total lack of center vocal and..... You have to use AAA batteries to get that wonderful Dr. Dre sound hahahahaha. Whatever....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 947
"beats" are one of the best marketing ploys that i have seen recently. not a very good product, but great marketing.

humans are humans, so if your son's friends all have "beats", then he will feel left out if he doesn't have his "beats". what your son wants might have little to nothing to do with audio and more of just wanting to be one of the guys.

cross to your subs and then add delay to your headphones to match them up in distance, then level match. a surprising amount of bass comes through the jaw, head, body and so forth, so even with your ears plugged up it can work.

headphones are great, but they just don't produce the body resonance that good subs do from about 150hz down.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 470
I haven't heard beats, but I agree that Grado's sound great. I've had a pair of sr80's for 12 years or so and love them. I haven't used them for a very long time though, just not as fun as the main system. I like your idea, combining that sweet Grado sound with some tactile feel should be pretty amazing.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bass shaker on the lazy boy? You're tethered to the headphone's amp anyway, no reason to fill the room with tactile bass if you're pretty much stuck to the chair.

YID DIY
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Bass shaker on the lazy boy? You're tethered to the headphone's amp anyway, no reason to fill the room with tactile bass if you're pretty much stuck to the chair.

Genius !!!!!!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
gah, mojo sent. beats are garbage. . . . Id rather get a pair of skull candy skull crushers, they sound about the same but ill have 200+$ left in my pocket. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey_face View Post

gah, mojo sent. beats are garbage. . . . Id rather get a pair of skull candy skull crushers, they sound about the same but ill have 200+$ left in my pocket. biggrin.gif

Whew! Now you're really talking garbage headphones. I had picked up some skull crushers once. I needed a new pair of of around the ear phones for cheap with supposedly good bass. Boy was I wrong. rolleyes.gif The sound was so bad and the bass so litterally torturing, I just got rid of them. No sh*t, got them in from Amazon at 6pm, had them listed eBay by 8pm. I've had pizzas around long than that. tongue.gif

Right now I'm using some $150 non-noise cancelling Bose (hangs head in shame) headphones as they are the only around the ear phones I've got that aren't Japanese style mini-disc or earbuds. And you can not comprehend how much I loath earbud headphones.

tumblr_lvyjdfVCAT1qigzmv.png

I could use some 'good' ones.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great timing on the thread my new head phones are scheduled to be delivered today! http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html I ordered the ER-4S version. I can leave a mini review after they arrive. I wonder how they will compare to the Danley's. rolleyes.gif

To be honest I am mostly interested in this aspect of the headphones, http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

Which is how I sold the new headphones to the wife, " Honey with these headphones I can study anywhere and not be bothered by other people!" Anyways, got another 12 hours of studying today, back to the books!

Forin
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page