Electronics burn in - Can we finally put the myth to rest?? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
this thread is ending so epically well... biggrin.gif

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One of the best posts of all time. BassThatHz for President! Can you talk to empty chairs by chance?
post #123 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1284
In all fairness we should give equal time to the opposition point of view. In its own way it's just as hilarious. tongue.gif
http://www.morrowaudio.com/cablebreakin.htm

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #124 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I never saw 200 miles of sin fixed by 3 feet of religion biggrin.gif

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #125 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I never saw 200 miles of sin fixed by 3 feet of religion biggrin.gif
Maybe they should come out with a Papal Dispensation model? biggrin.gif

post #126 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Holy crap, how deep IS the rabbit hole?
A lot deeper than you might suspect. You don't even have to be terminally stupid to fall for their pitch, just uninformed. OTOH consider this site, and yes, they do actually sell their wares:
http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

And there are many more. eek.gif

post #127 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Their reasoning seems counter intuiative. Why would the amount of special procedures required increase as the cost also increases.

A $10 cable is ready to be used as soon as I open the packaging, but their very expensive cable requires hundreds of hours before it is ready to use.
Quote:
Our cables require a total of 400 to 500 hours to completely break in. If you ordered our 2 day cable break-in service, your cables will arrive with the equivalent of 96 hours on them. If you ordered the extended 5 day breakin, the equivalent of 240 hours will be on them.
Quote:
The "difficult stage" of the breakin, where the cables might be hard to listen to is between 50 to 100 hours. There can be brief periods however past this point. If you have an evening where they are hard to listen to, do not fret, this will quickly go away. All should be well the next day. When full breakin is reached, there will be no more changes with the sound.
Quote:
Between 50 and 100 hours you will experience the "difficult stage" of the break-in process. The sonic potential of the cable drops to 50%. It may be difficult to listen during this time. This is when some of our customers make a pre-mature return, missing out on the full sonic glory of the product.
Quote:
Our cables are ment to be hooked up and left alone. If you later move your cables, 1 to 2 days might be required for them to "settle" into their new positions. If you notice a change in the sound, all will return after the 1 to 2 days. Again, do not fret!

LOL

==Cocophone==
post #128 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

In all fairness we should give equal time to the opposition point of view. In its own way it's just as hilarious. tongue.gif

It's not just amazing they get people to buy into that but also that no one ran a spell check or checked for any sort of grammatical errors. I guess those that read into burn in have the same deficiencies.
post #129 of 138 Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice 
A lot deeper than you might suspect. You don't even have to be terminally stupid to fall for their pitch, just uninformed. OTOH consider this site, and yes, they do actually sell their wares:
http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

And there are many more. eek.gif

This site and Geoff kait deserve a special nod as not only do they make many ludicrous claims, but many objective claims that can put to the test and meet the criteria for outright consumer fraud. If they weren't such a nothing business on the radar, they would be shut down and prosecuted for fraud. I don't think their fallback to mind body interaction (otherwise know around these parts as "you are imagining the effect, nothing has really changed") as a defense (specifically mentioned on their website fir just that reason) would cut the mustard in court as they make specific objective claims that can be refuted factually.

Lots of really stupid stuff there, but this line I always find especially amusing:
Quote:
The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass.

biggrin.gif

post #130 of 138 Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

This site and Geoff kait deserve a special nod as not only do they make many ludicrous claims, but many objective claims that can put to the test and meet the criteria for outright consumer fraud. If they weren't such a nothing business on the radar, they would be shut down and prosecuted for fraud. I don't think their fallback to mind body interaction (otherwise know around these parts as "you are imagining the effect, nothing has really changed") as a defense (specifically mentioned on their website fir just that reason) would cut the mustard in court as they make specific objective claims that can be refuted factually.
Lots of really stupid stuff there, but this line I always find especially amusing:
biggrin.gif
I'm as much against the fleecing of the uninformed masses as the next guy, if not more so, but there comes a point where you've got to throw up your hands and say if anyone's stupid enough to believe anything on sites like that they pretty much deserve to be snookered. But then you've got to say where do you draw the line between obvious flimflam artists and sources like Audioquest, who IMO are just as guilty of cheating the public, perhaps more so, as their lies aren't so easy to see through.

post #131 of 138 Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
OK I guess the rabbit hole is actually a black hole. Well, here's a cheap accessory that allows one to burn-in their power cords using ordinary lamps! Imagine the improvement in the quality of the light coming from that lucky lamp. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6968-dedicated-audio-power-cord-burn-in-tool.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

It's not just amazing they get people to buy into that but also that no one ran a spell check or checked for any sort of grammatical errors. I guess those that read into burn in have the same deficiencies.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #132 of 138 Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
A colleague and I once had a project manager (I think he was a mechanical engineer) convinced a circuit wasn't working correctly because the electrons in the wiring were escaping. We told him some BS story that electrons escaping was a natural process but that this circuit seemed to have a little more electron leakage than what we were used to seeing but that we'd track it down.

It did have electrons leaking. The circuit was wired incorrectly. But I hope to this day that that idiot thinks electrons magically escape from things. And no, this was not true leakage that does occur where fractions of micro amps are lost; we were missing amps and somehow didn't have a fire.
post #133 of 138 Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post

A colleague and I once had a project manager (I think he was a mechanical engineer) convinced a circuit wasn't working correctly because the electrons in the wiring were escaping. We told him some BS story that electrons escaping was a natural process but that this circuit seemed to have a little more electron leakage than what we were used to seeing but that we'd track it down.
It did have electrons leaking. The circuit was wired incorrectly. But I hope to this day that that idiot thinks electrons magically escape from things. And no, this was not true leakage that does occur where fractions of micro amps are lost; we were missing amps and somehow didn't have a fire.

Too Funny!
So if the circuit would have smoked, you could have asked him:
"Is that smell AC smoke, or DC smoke ???
smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #134 of 138 Old 09-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

"5-day break in" equals "240 hrs" ? confused.gif
post #135 of 138 Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban View Post

Well, let's look at their math here ...
Quote:
If you ordered our 2 day cable break-in service, your cables will arrive with the equivalent of 96 hours on them.

So here we learn that 2 days = 96 hours, therefore 1 Day = 48 hours.

So 5 days must therefore equal 240 hours. What's your problem man? The math works perfectly.

Now pardon me, I just moved my cable a few inches to the left and everything sounds different in my system. So I'm going to give it 1 to 2 days (or 48 to 96 hours) of time to settle back to where it was.

You AVS'ers are so cynical.
caper_1 likes this.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #136 of 138 Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 14
You need to read more carefully:
Quote:
CABLE BREAK-IN
Our cables require a total of 400 to 500 hours to completely break in. If you ordered our 2 day cable break-in service, your cables will arrive with the equivalent of 96 hours on them. If you ordered the extended 5 day breakin, the equivalent of 240 hours will be on them.

2 day cable break-in service = equivalent of 96 hours.

Their break-in service is more efficient than normal by a factor of 2 to 1. So using their super efficient break-in procedures; 1 hour of break-in is the equivalent of 2 hours doing it yourself using conventional break-in methods.

eek.gif

==Cocophone==
post #137 of 138 Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wow. That's like what a funnel does for beer. Much more efficient.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #138 of 138 Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban View Post

They probably figure that if you buy the concept of cable break-in you'll buy anything, including their silly over-priced cables and paying for break-in, which I'd bet dollars to donuts they don't actually do anyway.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page