Ontario Group Shipping for SEOS kit - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Pallet order of SEOS kit? Can you take delivery?
1) Interested in getting in on this, but can't take delivery. 2 66.67%
2) Interested and can take delivery 0 0%
3) Other 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So as Erich mentioned, it will work out well for all of us if we arrange a group for those in Ontario to get a pallet. I wanted to get the ball rolling, and see how many from Ontario we are. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to try to service all of Canada, but maybe someone out west can cover BC/Alberta, etc. This is for Ontario.

I have a good number of horns, some CDs and would love to order some flatpacks. In order for the flatpacks to even make sense shipping here, we would need to organize a pallet.

Is there anyone who could take a pallet and reship? I live in an apartment in downtown Toronto, so I simply can't do it logistically.

I think ideally, someone near Niagara might work out in our favor, but wouldn't have to be.

Josh

JoshK on most other audio forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 491
If it helps out, I can also get anything cut from the CNC company and put it on the same pallet. But that might be a project that can be done in Canada anyway. If needed, I can package up each item same as I do now, and load the pallet. Once you get it, just put a shipping label on it and it's good to go. My sister could probably help me on that to speed things up.

There was another option mentioned earlier with regards to the group buys on the waveguides and CD's. When I helped with that, I had to order a significant number and had to pay for shipping to get everything here in a container. Well if I tell the manufacturer to ship just a pallet directly to you (or someone else), then people wouldn't have to pay all that extra shipping to come to the US, then to their country.

That was just done with the stuff from Poland. Someone wanted some BIG horns.....enough to fill up a double pallet. eek.gif So I just sent the order into the company and had them bill the customer, customer pays manufacturer. I'm just helping figure the best way to ship. And no, I did not make one penny on that, or the shipping. They went directly with the manufacturer, which saved having the stuff first shipped to me, then me buying packing material, and paying to have it shipped out again.

If I can help out on any of that stuff. It's no problem because it's pretty easy to do (easier than packaging). Just a few phone calls to get things lined up with the right people. Or I can hook you up directly with the manufacturer. No big deal.

If someone wanted to make a little extra money for their time, I doubt people in other countries would care if you added extra to it because it would still be cheaper than if they paid shipping from the US for each thing. Having people in other countries being able to order direct from the manufacture might help.

Edit:

I just noticed you mentioned Niagra. Someone from the AVS forum just ordered CD's last week and they shipped to a US address in Niagra, but the forum member lived in Canada. I guess he just drove there to pick them up from his friend. Maybe he could do the same with a pallet. That would save a good deal of money for Canadians.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, for all the Canadians (Ontario-ans) that responded in that thread, there sure isn't many responding here.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been thinking how to respond to this for the last couple of days. I'm going to mark myself down as "Other" in the poll since this is something that I could do but I have a lot of reservations. I'll bring up a few here but there's a lot of stuff to talk about before accepting pallets.

On the one hand, I live in southwestern Ontario near London. I'm about 5 minutes away from highway 401 and about 10 minutes away from the post office, which would presumably make for fast shipping. I've got full access to at least a couple of full size pickup trucks and at least one member of my family drives right by the post office at least once a day. So in these respects I am qualified for the job.

On the other hand I'm really hoping someone else decides to handle this since it's a huge potential ball of trouble. If I were to consider this responsibility, a lot of the following issues would need to be discussed.

TAXES
I don't even know what's involved here (which duty and sales taxes are applicable, how Erich handles this, etc), but I would need to be convinced that I would not be responsible in any way for any unpaid sales taxes or duties. Since I'm in Canada and the last one to handle the goods so if there was any problem the authorities would likely find it easiest to hassle me. This is a major point for me, if anyone could point me to the appropriate information on learning about the legal aspects and implications of this I would appreciate it.

PALLET CONTENT AND SHIPPING DETAILS
Where is it coming from? If it comes direct from manufacturer it will need to be packaged. I'm not excited about sourcing and buying packing materials but it's not out of the question. Material costs and possibly a small but fair handling charge would have to be compensated.

what type of insurance is required for loss or damage? If my house burns down for example, I don't want to shoulder the additional burden of stuff that isn't even mine. In minor cases, how would loss or damage be handled? For example, what happens if a waveguide is scratched when I receive it, or if I scratched one? Erich absorbs a lot of this type of cost, I can't.

How much stuff fits on a pallet? How long would I have this stuff? If Erich sends a bunch of random stuff from his stock, some items might not sell for a long time. It would probably be best if all the content was already bought and paid for, like a group buy type of thing.

It would be best if Erich handles all the money stuff but I'm not sure how that would work. Can Erich order the shipping labels online and send them to me to print out? If the packages have to be weighed at the post office, I'd have to drive them in, weigh them, bring them back home, email Erich the package details, wait for him to order the shipping labels, print them out and stick em on the boxes and drive back to the post office to drop the packages off. This could get irritating. Is there a better way to do this?

How much are we going to save?
If it comes direct from the manufacturer we could save a great deal. But if it comes from Erich, shipping has to be paid three times before it gets to the end user. Size and weight also factors in here, it might not be worth for large and heavy items like flat packs. If we aren't going to save a bunch of money this isn't worth it.

COMMUNICATION
This is a big one, probably should have been first on the list. Taking on a responsibility like this would make me extremely nervous and I would need direct and guaranteed contact with Erich. So far, I'd call my previous communcations with Erich abysmal at best. The first time I emailed it took a week to get a response. The second time, he answered fairly quickly but then did not respond at all to a follow up email, so the opportunity to make a sale was lost. To be clear, this doesn't bother me as a casual customer, I know he's busy and it wasn't completely unexpected, but as someone involved in receiving a pallet group buy I'd want a priority email address and probably a telephone number.

(Erich, just to let you know who I am, I'm the guy that emailed you "VERY RARE OPPORTUNITY" or something like that, I had family visiting in Minnesota recently that could have brought the stuff back duty free and saved me over $100. You asked what items I wanted to make sure you had them in stock. I replied to the email - I did not use the website contact form this time - and I did not get any reply. I don't know if you didn't get my reply email, or if you thought I was a scammer, or maybe you just missed my message or were too busy... I'm not upset, just letting you know who I am.)

So I'm really hoping someone else will do this but at least this opens up the conversation. There's a lot of details to consider before accepting pallets. I brought up a few of them but there's lots more to consider as well.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I just noticed you mentioned Niagra. Someone from the AVS forum just ordered CD's last week and they shipped to a US address in Niagra, but the forum member lived in Canada. I guess he just drove there to pick them up from his friend. Maybe he could do the same with a pallet. That would save a good deal of money for Canadians.

I use cbiusa.com for shipping right near the Niagara Falls/Rainbow Bridge border crossing, and bring over my goods myself. I've used them at least 10 times in the past couple years for small boxes to tires.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post

I use cbiusa.com for shipping right near the Niagara Falls/Rainbow Bridge border crossing, and bring over my goods myself. I've used them at least 10 times in the past couple years for small boxes to tires.

If all else fails I've got one last ace up my sleeve too, a friend in Sarnia with a US PO box service. But that requires gas to Sarnia, $5 charge per package, still have to pay duty and on top of that I owe her a favor. Still cheaper than USPS though, but I hate to bother her.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by diy speaker guy View Post

I've been thinking how to respond to this for the last couple of days. I'm going to mark myself down as "Other" in the poll since this is something that I could do but I have a lot of reservations. I'll bring up a few here but there's a lot of stuff to talk about before accepting pallets.
On the one hand, I live in southwestern Ontario near London. I'm about 5 minutes away from highway 401 and about 10 minutes away from the post office, which would presumably make for fast shipping. I've got full access to at least a couple of full size pickup trucks and at least one member of my family drives right by the post office at least once a day. So in these respects I am qualified for the job.
On the other hand I'm really hoping someone else decides to handle this since it's a huge potential ball of trouble. If I were to consider this responsibility, a lot of the following issues would need to be discussed.
TAXES
I don't even know what's involved here (which duty and sales taxes are applicable, how Erich handles this, etc), but I would need to be convinced that I would not be responsible in any way for any unpaid sales taxes or duties. Since I'm in Canada and the last one to handle the goods so if there was any problem the authorities would likely find it easiest to hassle me. This is a major point for me, if anyone could point me to the appropriate information on learning about the legal aspects and implications of this I would appreciate it.
PALLET CONTENT AND SHIPPING DETAILS
Where is it coming from? If it comes direct from manufacturer it will need to be packaged. I'm not excited about sourcing and buying packing materials but it's not out of the question. Material costs and possibly a small but fair handling charge would have to be compensated.
what type of insurance is required for loss or damage? If my house burns down for example, I don't want to shoulder the additional burden of stuff that isn't even mine. In minor cases, how would loss or damage be handled? For example, what happens if a waveguide is scratched when I receive it, or if I scratched one? Erich absorbs a lot of this type of cost, I can't.
How much stuff fits on a pallet? How long would I have this stuff? If Erich sends a bunch of random stuff from his stock, some items might not sell for a long time. It would probably be best if all the content was already bought and paid for, like a group buy type of thing.
It would be best if Erich handles all the money stuff but I'm not sure how that would work. Can Erich order the shipping labels online and send them to me to print out? If the packages have to be weighed at the post office, I'd have to drive them in, weigh them, bring them back home, email Erich the package details, wait for him to order the shipping labels, print them out and stick em on the boxes and drive back to the post office to drop the packages off. This could get irritating. Is there a better way to do this?
How much are we going to save?
If it comes direct from the manufacturer we could save a great deal. But if it comes from Erich, shipping has to be paid three times before it gets to the end user. Size and weight also factors in here, it might not be worth for large and heavy items like flat packs. If we aren't going to save a bunch of money this isn't worth it.
COMMUNICATION
This is a big one, probably should have been first on the list. Taking on a responsibility like this would make me extremely nervous and I would need direct and guaranteed contact with Erich. So far, I'd call my previous communcations with Erich abysmal at best. The first time I emailed it took a week to get a response. The second time, he answered fairly quickly but then did not respond at all to a follow up email, so the opportunity to make a sale was lost. To be clear, this doesn't bother me as a casual customer, I know he's busy and it wasn't completely unexpected, but as someone involved in receiving a pallet group buy I'd want a priority email address and probably a telephone number.
(Erich, just to let you know who I am, I'm the guy that emailed you "VERY RARE OPPORTUNITY" or something like that, I had family visiting in Minnesota recently that could have brought the stuff back duty free and saved me over $100. You asked what items I wanted to make sure you had them in stock. I replied to the email - I did not use the website contact form this time - and I did not get any reply. I don't know if you didn't get my reply email, or if you thought I was a scammer, or maybe you just missed my message or were too busy... I'm not upset, just letting you know who I am.)
So I'm really hoping someone else will do this but at least this opens up the conversation. There's a lot of details to consider before accepting pallets. I brought up a few of them but there's lots more to consider as well.

I posted in the thread as well.
I live in Niagara Falls and I'm down for helping.
In the near future I might even be able to take a pallet, but as of right now, the garage is the only storage I've got, and it's full.
In the meantime I used my friends US address to order some CD's but there are definitely other things Erich has to offer that I would like to get my hands on.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting guys, especially DSG.

You have right to been cautious, however, I think as long as everything is made clear ahead of time you mitigate most of your risk.

For the flatpack cabinets, it may turn out to be cheaper to just get the CNC files from Erich and find a company in Canada to do them (or build them yourself). What I think is more attractive is the plastic economic SEOS and the compression drivers. Depending on demand that might not warrant a pallet, but then who knows. But if we are doing a pallet them the flat packs might be tempting.

I really don't know about taxes and such. I am american and just moved to Toronto last summer and am still trying to determine how it works exactly. I think we could all pre-pay the recipient of the pallet for tax overestimating somewhat and then get a refund any remainder. This is similar to what Amazon does when ordering from the states.

As long as everything is may clear ahead of time, I see risks as minimal.

We can do a comparison once we have some figures to see whether some parts are worthwhile or not.

post #9 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I missed the other thread.

Are you bringing in the dna360's also?

What CNC cabinet design?

What are most people using for the woofer and crossover?

Ballpark price?
post #10 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I'd vote, but I'm not from Ontario.

I'm willing and able to receive a pallet. I can even solder cross overs and such. But I think the best would be if Erich just got on USPS. It would be the simplist. Forget flat packs to. Build your own, or have them built. They're to big to make it worth it.

Just a little hint for those Canadian who may not know, you can get a lot of pro stuff from www.loudspeakers.ca
post #11 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post

As long as everything is may clear ahead of time, I see risks as minimal.

I agree but I like to plan for the worst case and hope for the best. I like to research the snot out of stuff before I jump in head first. I feel a bit like a grumpy old man though, as so many have expressed interest in accepting pallets, no questions asked, if they were able.

At this point, I am agreeing with this:
Quote:
...I think the best would be if Erich just got on USPS. It would be the simplist.

...since it seems most people that have responded have access to US PO box services or friends near the border. There isn't enough interest here to entertain the notion of a group buy. It might even be possible to do mini group buys, for example, I might be able to help Josh out if I do end up using my friend's US PO box service, if he just wants a couple of CD's and waveguides, but I don't want to push it asking her to pick up too much stuff for me, and this would have to be coordinated with Erich anyway, to save on shipping costs and reduce paypal fees.

BUT... this thread has been here 3 days now and only has 138 views. I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple hundred people in Ontario alone on the various forums that might be interested. Is anyone linking this thread in different forums? I haven't yet but I could throw a heads up in a couple of different forums.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am starting to think the CBIusa.com way might be the most convenient. To save us all time, maybe some of us in Toronto can do it together so only one person has to pick them up.

post #13 of 19 Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You may want to just contact a shipping broker.
It may be the easiest and safest way.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
post #14 of 19 Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 491
AudioJosh, I can ship your stuff whenever you want. It's been boxed up for a while. 3 packages, one if fairly heavy though.

Kingpin, if memory serves me correct, at one time you wanted some of the JBL gear. I'm a loyal man......and still have it for you if you want it. smile.gif It's been boxed up the whole time. Not sure if you had changed your mind when shipping wasn't working out for you or not. I remembered it when I went through all the left over JBL gear about a month ago. Then again, it's been a while and my brain has been on overload, so maybe I'm thinking of someone else. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm interested in some DNA-150's but everything else I can get / build locally (Kitchener, ON).
post #16 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

AudioJosh, I can ship your stuff whenever you want. It's been boxed up for a while. 3 packages, one if fairly heavy though. biggrin.gif

PM sent biggrin.gif

post #17 of 19 Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This still alive? Very interested in getting a bunch of kits smile.gif

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #18 of 19 Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We got a severe lack of interest. I am having my stuff shipped directly to me, but I really would have loved to have some flat packs shipped here. I think getting a local box maker might make the most sense. Maybe we can get a group of folks interested in the same plans and get plans to go to a local together.

post #19 of 19 Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I see. I know of a local shop that does CNC cutting.. might be a good alternative to shipping the flat packs.

Which model did you go with?

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page