How much does 1 gal of Duratex cover? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have three 4Pi speakers and a JBL 4645c that I need to cover in Duratex. Will 1 gallon be enough for all this? I'll be rolling this on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I had over a 1/2 gallon left after rolling on duratex on three 4Pi. I went for a smooth finish and used a smooth foam roller. Did two coats.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I had over a 1/2 gallon left after rolling on duratex on three 4Pi. I went for a smooth finish and used a smooth foam roller. Did two coats.

Awesome, thanks. I was actually just looking at your build over at audioroundtable. Excellend job! I'm hoping mine will turn out as well. I noticed you have yours mounted with the tweeters quite a bit higher than ear level. Was there a reason for this/does it make a big difference in your theater? I'm not quite sure how high to mount mine as it seems most people are using them as 2ch music speakers, not in a theater.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I bought a gallon and covered four dual opposed 5 cubic ft subs with 2 coats on most surfaces and 3 coats on a few. I also did a 2.5 cubic ft dual opposed sub with two coats. I still have about a pint left.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

I noticed you have yours mounted with the tweeters quite a bit higher than ear level. Was there a reason for this/does it make a big difference in your theater?

When I finished them i stuck them on the stands I had. Not a lot of thought. On tweeter ear level alignment. I have three rows of seating and I suspect having them higher helps get the sound out to all three rows. The highest seating are bar stools.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you want to stretch the duratex a bit further paint the enclosure with flat black paint as a base and then add the duratex finish over that. I've done this on countless builds and it's surprising to see how much the duratex can cover.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

If you want to stretch the duratex a bit further paint the enclosure with flat black paint as a base and then add the duratex finish over that. I've done this on countless builds and it's surprising to see how much the duratex can cover.

Interesting, so what's your procedure regarding the various coats of paint? Do you sand the wood before and/or the coats between? I have 4x 2.5cu.ft. MFW-15's, pair of SEOS12 + JBL 2226 mains and possibly surounds to paint. I'm guessing 1 gallon may not cover all of those so your idea is appreciated and noted.

Thanks
JB
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I had been spraying my boxes with the water based flat black paint with 2 coats and then spray 2 coats of duratex over that. That's it. No sanding between coats needed due to the texture of the duratex. I did roll the duratex on once and it turned out well but spraying is much faster if you're doing that many enclosures. Btw I use a cheapo harbor freight texture spray gun that was less than $20. A gallon of duratex will easily cover the boxes that you listed.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page