post #151 of 161 Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

That is good to hear. Like I said earlier the one I read was like trying to understand a foreign language. I will definitely take a look at the on e NH linked. I am hoping that one is a little easier to follow.

read my edited post 3 posts above. I put all you need to know in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

read my edited post 3 posts above. I put all you need to know in there.

Interesting, I will have to read it again to make sure I fully understand and do it right but it does seem to make sense for the most part.
post #153 of 161 Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting, I will have to read it again to make sure I fully understand and do it right but it does seem to make sense for the most part.

All I did was set my ep4000's gain attenuator at 29 dB ( out of 32) and went with that. It sets the sub on audyysey to -1 which is fine. As long as audyssey doesn't put your sub at like -10 then it's fine.
post #154 of 161 Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Looks like a fun little project. I take it you decided to pass on the EDs for sale?

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions with setup.
post #155 of 161 Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Looks like a fun little project. I take it you decided to pass on the EDs for sale?
Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions with setup.

Yeah I passed on them. Getting passive speakers is one thing, but I did not want to take a chance. Plus this way I figure I might learn a little bit.
post #156 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Read and understand all you can of Wayne's write up. Your setup will likely have some special nuances which youll have to tweak to get it to work perfectly. There's no cookie cutter way to set gain structure with ALL AVRs and pro amps. They all tend to have differnt pre-out voltages and settings etc.

Gain structure gets more important and difficult when you add an outboard EQ. Then you have to set the gains for all components in chain to make sure they are fully driven and not clipping into the next component in the chain. Clipping an EQ into an amp will clip the amp the amp too.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #157 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Read and understand all you can of Wayne's write up. Your setup will likely have some special nuances which youll have to tweak to get it to work perfectly. There's no cookie cutter way to set gain structure with ALL AVRs and pro amps. They all tend to have differnt pre-out voltages and settings etc.
Gain structure gets more important and difficult when you add an outboard EQ. Then you have to set the gains for all components in chain to make sure they are fully driven and not clipping into the next component in the chain. Clipping an EQ into an amp will clip the amp the amp too.

Well I am guessing that having a DSP/EQ built into this amp helps simplify things for me. I definitely plan on reading and understanding that write up as best I can. I just never realized getting into this there was so much that went into it. I am actually kind of happy as this will really help learn how to set up a system the right way.
post #158 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Quote:

Well I am guessing that having a DSP/EQ built into this amp helps simplify things for me. I definitely plan on reading and understanding that write up as best I can. I just never realized getting into this there was so much that went into it. I am actually kind of happy as this will really help learn how to set up a system the right way.

Yes.  Outboard means outside the box like a minidsp, behringer BFD, or similar.  The DSP amps are a simpler solution IMO if you don't need drastic EQ below 20Hz.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #159 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.  Outboard means outside the box like a minidsp, behringer BFD, or similar.  The DSP amps are a simpler solution IMO if you don't need drastic EQ below 20Hz.

Since I am always one that likes to future proof myself, would there be any benefit of getting the iNuke6000 (without DSP) and getting say a Behringer DSP1124P or a MiniDSP. Or is it really not worth the little extra to have seperates?
post #160 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Since I am always one that likes to future proof myself, would there be any benefit of getting the iNuke6000 (without DSP) and getting say a Behringer DSP1124P or a MiniDSP. Or is it really not worth the little extra to have seperates?

The thing about the minidsp that is really awesome is you can eq 4 subs differently with it. There's also a million different things you can do with it with different programs you can buy for it.
post #161 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

The thing about the minidsp that is really awesome is you can eq 4 subs differently with it. There's also a million different things you can do with it with different programs you can buy for it.

I may have to read up on it a bit and then decide if it is worth it for me to do that or just go with the iNuke that has the EQ/DSP built in...leave it me to complicate things. lol

As it turns out though I may have to put this project on a little hold as I by some miracle found someone that is selling a single eD[c]12 about two hours from me in Brooklyn, so I plan on going there this weekend to demo it and if all is good load it up and bring it home. I was really looking forward to doing this, but I really need to get this speaker as I really don't think I will ever find someone again that is just selling one. It works out kind of good though as this will leave me time do some reading and try to make sense of all of this gain structure stuff.

I will definitely still be posting here with any questions or concerns as I do research though.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page