Looking for suggestions! DIY kits/designs for front channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done a bunch of googling and still haven't satisfied myself with an answer. I'm wanting to build a full front set for my HT projector room in the basement, left, right, and center.

The room is 19'L X 15'W X 7.5'H. It is carpeted and has a drop ceiling. There is minimal space above the tiles and insulation between the joists. No acoustic treatment present or planned. I will be using my present rear channels and sub for now. The rears are Definitive UIW 75's in wall mounted, the sub is a JBL 10" powered unit. My receiver is an older Denon AVR-3802 rated for 110 watts x 7 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD. There's a much more detailed breakdown that shows it will handle much lower ohms though. The speakers will be up against the front wall and toed in. The front wall is false with about 6" gap to the cinder blocks.

I'm looking for bang for the buck here. Nice big sound, good volume capabilities, but I'm no audiophile either!

The system is almost exclusively for watching movies and some tv

I have no issues with using the same design for all three speakers so long as they are shorter than 24" (I've read that's optimal for HT.) Towers would be OK, as long as they have a complimenting center design too

Basically I'm just new to scrutinizing speakers this way. I was always happy with HT in a box before, but with the projector/dedicated room I figure to get something better going on and I love DIY stuff!

Electronics/soldering skills are solid (I'm pretty good, and my father is a ham radio geek/retired electrical engineer)
Woodworking should be fine too. (good complement of tools that I'm OK with, my friend that will be helping, and building his own SEOS12's, is awesome with wood)

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Wayne Parham 4pi's are great HT speakers.

http://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1238362/wayne-parhams-pi-4-build-thread

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Bang for the Buck :
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic-seos-12/seos-speaker-kits.html

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Either suggestion would be great. I have Wayne Parham's 4 Pi speakers in my HT and I love them. Will not be ugrading any time soon, and when I do it will be for 7 Pi's.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #5 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 496
There are more and more SEOS kits coming all the time. What's your budget?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi View Post

...I'm wanting to build a full front set for my HT projector room in the basement ...The room is 19'L X 15'W X 7.5'H. It is carpeted and has a drop ceiling. There is minimal space above the tiles and insulation between the joists. No acoustic treatment present or planned. ... The front wall is false with about 6" gap to the cinder blocks.
I'm looking for bang for the buck here...
Your biggest bang for the buck will be in the acoustic treatments you have not installed and don't plan to install. We have similar size rooms (mine's 22'), but your basement location ends the similarity, and puts a monkey wrench in your plans. .

The false wall is one good place for bass absorption, and the ceiling would benefit from more insulation between the joists as long as the panels aren't reflecting bass. Modal analysis of your room will tell you what frequencies to look for problems. You can't avoid the bass modes, but I will admit the controlled directivity designs being suggested will minimize mode issues from those drivers. I will recommend you do some listening first, as I find my ears don't like CD sound as much as other drivers. As always, YMMV.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #7 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

It depends on the cd. The cheaper ones can be harsh. But the SEOS, and Pi's use some really nice ones.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Doing a SEOS along with my friends build has been one of the strong options all along. As far as budget goes, it's pretty variable depending on my Wife's mood. If I could keep the drivers, crossovers, and other parts in the $300-500 range total it should squeak by no probs. Wood and finishing purchases are not an issue if I get them locally. I know it's not a lot to work with!

I might have a good deal on the woofers in the works tho if I go the SEOS route. A friend does pro audio for concerts and such. He says he has some JBL 12's they aren't using any more that his company might sell cheap. I don't remember which ones tho...

Pete
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll have to get the Thiele Small parameters to see if ithe JBL models well with the cd that goes with the SEOS.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2012, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi View Post

I might have a good deal on the woofers in the works tho if I go the SEOS route. A friend does pro audio for concerts and such. He says he has some JBL 12's they aren't using any more that his company might sell cheap. I don't remember which ones tho...
Pete

Get after him and find out what model. Someone will work up a crossover for the SEOS 12 and JBL 2206 soon enough. Of course you'll need some subs but that is to be expected.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page