Replace driver - or the whole sub? Need advice from the experts! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gentlemen, I need some advice.

Currently I am using two JBL PSW1200 subs (12”, vented, 120w RMS) for my front soundstage, and an eD A7s-450 near-field behind my couch to handle the low-end stuff below 50 hz (and provide some couch-shaking).

The A7s-450 does its job very nicely, and I was satisfied with my JBLs performance until I bought some Polk Monitor70II’s and they simply make the JBL’s sound dirty in comparison. But I can’t ask the Polks to play LFE as loud as a dedicated subwoofer (well I asked, but the answer was ‘no’). So I’d like to upgrade my JBL’s to something that’s more accurate and outputs SPLs equal to or greater than the JBLs, but my budget is very limited.

So here’s what I’ve been kicking around:

Option A:
Replace the drivers in the PSW1200’s with better ones.
My choice is the Pioneer TS-W309S4 which seems to be a perfect replacement. I’m not sure about port noise, but here’s the driver file and project for WinISD 0.7 alpha (which contains the PSW1200 enclosure data).
Pros – Cheap; and I get to keep the PSW1200 enclosure which I like.
Cons – Driver doesn’t fit, I’d have to route out a larger mounting radius; and I’d probably be giving the amp way more driver than it should have.

Option B:
Sell the JBLs and buy a pair of BIC F12’s.
Pros – Don’t need to do any enclosure modding; both amp and driver are a decent upgrade from the JBL drivers and amp
Cons – more expensive; no clue if it would actually outperform Option A in SPLs, accuracy and low-end extension.

So I need someone with experience to give advice or insight to help me decide. Thanks in advance.

-Ethan

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 840
perhaps a lower crossover point or run the mains full range and the subs for the lfe channel? might be worth a little experimenting before you buy a whole new sub system.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wellllllllllllll I've been experimenting for months now. I've tried just about every configuration I can crossed over at 50, 80, 100, and 150hz. I've tried running the Polks as large size with the JBL handling LFE. I've tried running the Polks as large size PLUS sending them the LFE as well. I've tried running the Polks as large with the JBLs receiving LFE and also the Left and Right mains signal. I've also tried putting on a 50hz high-pass filter in-line so that the JBLs don't get bogged down with the low stuff they can't handle too well. I've played with sub location and orientation and none of that has produced a satisfactory result.

My goal is to have something that plays much cleaner than the JBLs, and loud enough that they don't run out of headroom at -10 volume or get over-powered by the A7s-450. I'm hoping that won't be too very difficult because I've got the A7s-450 nearfield so it's never really taxed at all even when blasting out Cloverfield footsteps.

Now if you think there's no way I can reach my goal thru either Option A or B, just let me know I will have to save up my Ethan dollars and be patient.

Thanks for the reply - my bro speaks highly of you btw. smile.gif

-Ethan

post #4 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 155

I'll throw out another idea...

Why not place your JBL's nearfield (won't have to play as loud), and replace the 19.OV2 with a UXL-18? You'll have to route or use sandpaper to increase the diameter of the hole, but depth-wise it should fit nicely. Also, the LT1300 should have the juice to power it nicely.

Do you have an EQ? You'll either have to EQ through the LT1300's HPF, or remove it.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing...you're 19.ov2 should sell like wildfire given it's a rare commodity now.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

One more thing...you're 19.ov2 should sell like wildfire given it's a rare commodity now.

Given eD's demise, and the fact that it really isn't a "super sub" I'm not sure it would sell like wildfire. Replacing it is a good option though.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Why not place your JBL's nearfield (won't have to play as loud), and replace the 19.OV2 with a UXL-18? You'll have to route or use sandpaper to increase the diameter of the hole, but depth-wise it should fit nicely. Also, the LT1300 should have the juice to power it nicely.

Thanks for your input. The A7s-450 (fortunately) isn't the problem. It does exactly what I need it to do and I enjoy how it sounds, in fact the only sub I liked just a little better from our 5-way shootout was the Rythmik FV15, and for my purposes I certainly didn't like it $300 better. Plus it's a tank so I use it to stand on when I'm playing with my projector. tongue.gif

In my current configuration, the JBLs provide a front soundstage that makes the bass appear to come from the screen where it should. And so whatever I replace them with I'd also need to place up front near my mains because starting around 50hz it is very easy to localize where the sound is coming from. The A7s-450 is eq'd to play from 50hz below, but it still rolls off above that so I need the replacement to do two things:

1) play loud enough to not get over-powered by the A7s-450 and
2) play tighter, much more accurate than the JBLs

I'm starting to lean towards those BIC F12's, but I'd really like to see some driver parameters or charts or something before I commit. Can't find any though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

Given eD's demise, and the fact that it really isn't a "super sub" I'm not sure it would sell like wildfire. Replacing it is a good option though.

I realize it's a bit of a gamble to keep a sub that I have no warranty on any more, but I'm hoping since I never really blast it since it's nearfield that won't be an issue, at least for a while anyways. I would call it a "super sub" though, because for it's price there really was never anything that could touch it SPL wise.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

Well, for those that really enjoy their 19.OV2 (just the driver) like the OP, a spare one for sale would go quick I would think.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page