Ashley Brand Amplifier Questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 396
It's been about 1.5 years since I stumbled across that weird JBL theater group buy stuff: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1317390/big-jbl-theater-items-for-the-diy-guy

Back then I was on Craigslist and someone had a couple Ashley amplifiers for sale. I went and looked at them and they were beasts. So of course I bought them. rolleyes.gif I told the guy if he had more I would be interested because of the guys on AVS. He said the rest were sold but mentioned all that other JBL stuff that we all took advantage of back then. That was a fun time and the first big group buy I helped with. What stunk was that most of the amps and compression drivers were sold before I found out about it. After realizing the 5 amps I had were overkill for my needs (back then), they were sold to MKTheater to power his crazy stuff. If I recall, he thought they were nice and very powerful. I think he used them to power his Danley TH and his pro JBL gear.

This brings me up to yesterday. Out of the blue I get a phone call and the guy on the other end says "Is this the speaker guy". Uhhhh, yeh? He reminds me that he sold all the JBL gear and kept my phone number. I started to get excited. But was let down for a second. He said he has about 11 horns and the drivers that go on the back. Not those big massive horns like last time. And he said he had 9 big speakers. I was guessing they were the dual 15's and hoping for some of the 18" subwoofers. So no where near as much stuff as last time.

Here's where it might get interesting. I called him today to stop by and take a look at what he had. On the phone I asked him if he had any of the amplifiers, and I hear him start counting. He said: "Yes.....at least 20 of them". Oh yeh. He takes me upstairs into the room with all this gear. Guess what? I see racks full of them! Sweet Momma! eek.gif Each rack has 5 of these monster amps. But 2 racks in the back were empty. Total amp count: 37!!

He knows they are worth something, but said to make an offer. Does anyone have any need for these before I even start thinking about it?

They're Ashley FTX-2001. The ones I saw looked very clean. There used to be a good deal of info about them on the web 2 years ago, but can't find much right now. Bummer. I know they're 2 channel commercial amps that can take a beating. 2 Ohm stable. These have a built in crossover at 750hz, so one channel powers a CD, the other powers the woofers. But I think that can be turned off. Maybe MKTheater will chime in with more info. They weigh about 55lbs each and the caps are massive. I took photos of the ones I sent MK and will try to find those to post.

Here's some info, but very little: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/9847/Ashly-Ftx-Ftx-2001-Ftx-2001.html

I didn't ask if they all needed to be bought at the same time, or if we could just buy some. I can't recall how much they were when I bought five 2 years ago. But I bought them from what might have been another middle man. So maybe they could be even cheaper by going with this guy. I don't know just yet.

Any price ideas for these beasts? I don't need 37 of them, biggrin.gif but I'm going to buy some for myself just so I can try them out on a speaker using the BA compression driver talked about in another thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot about the compression drivers and horns. I didn't get a good look at those because they were already loaded in the truck. But they looked like the 1.5" JBL models from last time with the horn and the adapter. The horn was about 22" or so by 18". Not sure if anyone is interested in those.

And he said 9 big speaker boxes, I saw them, but didn't see how many were dual 15's or single 18" subwoofers. But I will find out.

I doubt I can get all this stuff right now as a group buy for AVS members because of the flat packs I just had delivered and the other projects. But if anyone is interested, I can either get the contact info or pick them up and help ship them.

Oh, and I forgot some other things. Above the amps were some type of Dolby signal processors and something else. Not sure what it was. On at least one rack I saw some type of triple DVD player 'thing'. I'm sure he would sell that stuff, but I didn't write down what they were. He also had the huge 5' tall projectors and said they were probably going to be scrapped. Those had a nice looking electric motor on the side.....but nothing 'audio' about that.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found a photo I took for MKTheater to show him the insides and back.

It looks like the crossover can be turned off with the selector in the upper left corner.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Holy crap Erich, the stuff you stumble onto. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 15 Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a klr-4000 its powerful as hell and the fan is a lot quieter than behringer stock fans.. the build quality is super nice.

Note that the company is "Ashly" without the e, in case people want to gogole it.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ASHLY+FTX-2001&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Maybe $130x27 for the lot. You dont know if theyre all functioning.

Problem is these are sooo heavy. Shipping would be a lot on an amp about as powerful as an inuke nu1000

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #6 of 15 Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

I have a klr-4000 its powerful as hell and the fan is a lot quieter than behringer stock fans.. the build quality is super nice.
Note that the company is "Ashly" without the e, in case people want to gogole it.
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ASHLY+FTX-2001&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
Maybe $130x27 for the lot. You dont know if theyre all functioning.
Problem is these are sooo heavy. Shipping would be a lot on an amp about as powerful as an inuke nu1000

thats still to much if u include shipping and packing a paypal fees your talking close to 200 each at that point, might as well buy a brand new ep4000 for 315.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I remember those! Hell, almost bought em. tongue.gif

WiSounds likes the Ashly amps he uses.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #8 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I am definitely interested in some of these beast! Erich, I sent you a pm just now. Let me know what the next step is and how I would need to go about purchasing some of these.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

thats still to much if u include shipping and packing a paypal fees your talking close to 200 each at that point, might as well buy a brand new ep4000 for 315.

These are a different animal than the EP4000. Plus if someone needed that built in crossover, it would certainly serve better than the EP4000. I thought MKTheater said he liked them better than the EP2500. Hopefully he chimes in on what he thinks.

The ones I bought a couple years ago didn't look as nice as these and all of them worked fine. So I'm not really worried about whether they function or not. They came directly out of a theater, so my guess is they had to work or people would have noticed pretty quick.

I'm not really sure how much to offer just yet. I think they were around $200 last time, I can't recall. Of course I could offer less and see what he says because the last guy probably marked them up before I bought those. I checked Ebay and national Craigslist and they are around $325 - $350, but that's too high for me. If I was only buying 3-5 of them from him, I could see something around $200 - $225. So buying all of them, maybe $200 each? That could be too high as well. Quality wise, these are worth well over that amount. But I wouldn't go too far over it myself unless I needed that crossover network. No matter what, I'm walking out of there with at least 3 so I can try out that crossover with the BA-750 compression driver! That would be an interesting set up. biggrin.gif

Let me know what to offer and I will, maybe these aren't as good of a deal as hoped unless they're under $200. He acted as if this weekend would not work too well. So we might have until Tuesday to figure it out.

What about the horns and compression drivers? Any interest?

I'm pretty sure they were these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-436

I'm personally going to get some of those because I missed out on all of them last time. When I posted everything in the JBL group buy thread, people reserved them in just a couple hours and I didn't get to keep any myself!
post #10 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

These are a different animal than the EP4000. Plus if someone needed that built in crossover, it would certainly serve better than the EP4000. I thought MKTheater said he liked them better than the EP2500. Hopefully he chimes in on what he thinks.
The ones I bought a couple years ago didn't look as nice as these and all of them worked fine. So I'm not really worried about whether they function or not. They came directly out of a theater, so my guess is they had to work or people would have noticed pretty quick.
I'm not really sure how much to offer just yet. I think they were around $200 last time, I can't recall. Of course I could offer less and see what he says because the last guy probably marked them up before I bought those. I checked Ebay and national Craigslist and they are around $325 - $350, but that's too high for me. If I was only buying 3-5 of them from him, I could see something around $200 - $225. So buying all of them, maybe $200 each? That could be too high as well. Quality wise, these are worth well over that amount. But I wouldn't go too far over it myself unless I needed that crossover network. No matter what, I'm walking out of there with at least 3 so I can try out that crossover with the BA-750 compression driver! That would be an interesting set up. biggrin.gif
Let me know what to offer and I will, maybe these aren't as good of a deal as hoped unless they're under $200. He acted as if this weekend would not work too well. So we might have until Tuesday to figure it out.
What about the horns and compression drivers? Any interest?
I'm pretty sure they were these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-436
I'm personally going to get some of those because I missed out on all of them last time. When I posted everything in the JBL group buy thread, people reserved them in just a couple hours and I didn't get to keep any myself!

you really need eq also with the ba driver.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Ashly makes quality amps, but we have to remember that these are relatively "old" amps and might need capacitor replacement and/or other assorted TLC. The age/power to weight ratio/shipping costs might make these a deal only if you could get them for sub-$200. I love old iron as much as anyone, but technology marches on and the newer amp designs sound great and you can have high power on the cheap.

Jim
post #12 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think you'd have to worry about any cap replacements in these for a couple decades.

So are you thinking I offer $175 or so?
post #13 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

you really need eq also with the ba driver.

I found a horn that for whatever reason makes the CD extremely flat. But some crossover work could still be done after the amp.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Even if ashly were to grossly underrate their amps (i dont think they do), 1000w @ 4ohms bridged isnt much for subwoofer duty :\

While they are 50lbs the class topology of newer amps is lighter weight + more efficient..

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #15 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I don't think you'd have to worry about any cap replacements in these for a couple decades.
So are you thinking I offer $175 or so?

Offer $150 a piece for the whole lot and see if he is interested in getting rid of them to an interested party.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page