SSD-15 Dual Opposed Vertical Sub Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 120 Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I wanted to update this thread because it's nearing completion. Here's how it all started:

Concept Sketch

Sketchup Model

And here's how they turned out, not including the top:

and

and

Finally complete with butterfly granite tops.

Performance in-room, EQ'd via a MiniDSP:

Will update again when the tops are done.

Total cost for all materials and shipping, not including labor (or food or beer) was $972.84. The tops cost $11 for the boneyard slabs (see last page), and $140 for the fabrication of them, which is in process. So, we went a little over budget, but still pretty damned close to my target of $1000 all-in.

And here's the original first post:

I've decided to go forward with a dual opposed build incorporating 4x of the SSD-15 and I need your help!

I already have the subs in my possession

(thanks bosso, love that quasi-carbon fiber look)

and, with the help of petew, was thinking of the following specs on the cabs:

24"x18"x18" constructed from birch
Double-baffled with recessed drivers
2" standoff from the floor
Existing EP4000 for power
miniDSP for EQ and L/T (perhaps a bossobassis)

My living room where these will reside is roughly 18'x14'x7.5' with an unsealable large doorway and half-wall opening to the dining room, kitchen, and a short hallway to two bedrooms and an office. So, we're looking at > 4000 cubes.

I have been unable to model the drivers in this enclosure. Does anyone have the T/S specs and time to model them? If I were to sell my Captivator, I might sell the EP4000 with it, in which case I'd need to grab a new amp. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

We plan to build the boxes out of birch (baltic if possible), with nothing more than a single square brace with a cutout at the midpoint between drivers. The finish I'm thinking of is just duratex, or perhaps a simple matte black. I have considered a dark stain, but I think black will match better. I eventually plan to build all new LCR and surrounds, too, and it might be nice to go with a stain instead of black.

For support, we've been thinking that putting 1/4" black powder coated right angle steel along all four corners of each sub, 28" long, with countersunk screw holes for attachment, then with tapped weldments on the bottom to house adjustable feet, and simple welded plates to hold a tempered glass or granite (to match my dining room table) accent cover 2" from the top.

I've gotten a lot of inspiration from bosso and others on this design, but unfortunately round materials were not easily accessible here in ABQ. The total weight of these is expected to be around 100lbs per cab, all inclusive.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the box size, modeling, wattage, staining options, and steel supports/legs idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
WooHoo! Let's make some saw dust!

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #3 of 120 Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a sketch of the latest concept.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #4 of 120 Old 09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Oh, now I understand what you meant by metal legs. Interesting. I'll be following along as I plan to a vertical duel opposed as well.
post #5 of 120 Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a mockup that Pete came up with:

mockup1-1.png

It has everything but the drivers, feet, and weldments. And, I'm pretty sure it's to scale.

post #6 of 120 Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Hey Nube,

I've been slammed, but no excuse for not getting the data I promised to you. Sorry for that. redface.gif

First, awesome concept. Should turn out to be a superb system.

Here's a quick close-to-scale comparison of the system I built with close mic, max extension close mic and at the LP traces on one graph, plus all 9 FR selections from the SEQSS.

Nube.jpg

Here's a closer look at the curves:

Untitled2.jpg

My Blackbird enclosure size is a bit smaller than your concept, depending on your final baffle thickness and bracing, so you'll see a tad flatter naked response, as some of that peak in my results is higher Q.

Driving the system with 12KW bursts and 3600W continuous amplification, it tested well and got very high subjective comments from every listener, most of whom have heard many of the systems I've had in my room. The SSD has higher THD than the Tumult MKII, my latest BHT-15 and a few others I've used, but it truly seems that people actually prefer it, calling it tighter, etc.

BHTvSSDvTummyTHD.jpg

I don't do GP outdoor testing, but using the Tumult MKII as a reference and all else being exactly the same in my room, it serves the same purpose as a comparative tool. Of course, the Tummy has longer throw and cost more than double, so it would make sense that it has the lower THD+N number in the tests posted above.

My conclusion was that since the SSD has the same basket, former, coil wire, cone and surround as the Tumult (I believe Scott used to build Adire's stuff), the primary difference subjectively has got to be the higher THD. Everyone's mileage may vary, FWIW, etc. But, the bottom line is that everyone liked the presentation from this 4X15" system, and I think you will as well.

Hope this helps and can't wait to see it in the flesh and get your impressions. cool.gif
post #7 of 120 Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Are these going to be put in a sealed box? Volume of box?
post #8 of 120 Old 09-11-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

These will be sealed. The boxes are approximately 18x18x24 external. 16.5 x 16.5 x 21 internal. 3.31 ft^3 less whatever the drivers and center brace will take. We're looking for some decent plywood now. Time to make dust.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #9 of 120 Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I recall Bosso once saying the top plate added output. This baffled me. But he had the evidence. Do we know anymore about this? Are you adding the top plate for output, or looks? I'm undecided what to do with mine.
post #10 of 120 Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I recall Bosso once saying the top plate added output.
It doesn't add output per se, it loads the driver as a bandpass. If you're sufficiently skilled you can model the effect and the distance from the driver for best results. The same can be done with the distance from the lower driver to the floor.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am also kicking around the idea of ordering an SSD-15 and doing a sealed cabinet with the same internal volume and dimensions as the OP. I am also considering building a ported Sonotube sub that will use a TC Sounds Epic 12. Hmmm...decisions decisions...!
post #12 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

If you're sufficiently skilled you can model the effect and the distance from the driver for best results. The same can be done with the distance from the lower driver to the floor.

Thanks Bill.

Hmm, wish I knew how to do this. I have a concrete slab and will be doing exactly like the OP. Just not sure whether I'll do the top plate or not.
post #13 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Of all of the things I have shown my wife, these have gone over the best. Dual opposed with "protected" and "hidden" drivers. I look forward to seeing how your project turns out Nube!

Is there a possibility that someone would do an easy button enclosure for a specific 15" and 18" with a tuned bandpass via the top and bottom plate for us? I would be very interested to see what 2x15"s or 2-18"s (SSD or other appropriate driver) would perform in this configuration. I can picture a pair of these flanking my mains.

Sorry to thread jack here. I will delete this and make a new thread if need be or if there is interest for me to take up space.

Chris
post #14 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't add output per se, it loads the driver as a bandpass. If you're sufficiently skilled you can model the effect and the distance from the driver for best results. The same can be done with the distance from the lower driver to the floor.

Correct, except for the modeling part, which I haven't found as useful as in-room adjustment.

Loading is everything in-room and in-room is everything when it comes to what the system will present to you ears.
post #15 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

First, awesome concept. Should turn out to be a superb system...
Thanks, bud. I know these will do well in my system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Are these going to be put in a sealed box? Volume of box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

These will be sealed. The boxes are approximately 18x18x24 external. 16.5 x 16.5 x 21 internal. 3.31 ft^3 less whatever the drivers and center brace will take. We're looking for some decent plywood now. Time to make dust.
Yep, as Pete said, they'll be sealed. I think the internal dims are right on, with driver displacement being about .17 cubes each, and bracing only taking up another .05 cubes. Including pillows for fill, I think we're reasonably looking at the drivers "seeing" roughly about 1.5cuft each, which is exactly where they want to be for acoustic suspension to prevent exceeding xmax. Looks like we found some 3/4 Birch Imperial for around $37 per 4x8 sheet. This build is gonna take 3 sheets, and that price fits the budget. Just hope it's good wood. smile.gif
Quote:

I recall Bosso once saying the top plate added output. This baffled me. But he had the evidence. Do we know anymore about this? Are you adding the top plate for output, or looks? I'm undecided what to do with mine.
Quote:

This was precisely the plan, although I can't claim to have modeled it. wink.gif
Quote:

I am also kicking around the idea of ordering an SSD-15 and doing a sealed cabinet with the same internal volume and dimensions as the OP. I am also considering building a ported Sonotube sub that will use a TC Sounds Epic 12. Hmmm...decisions decisions...!
A single sealed SSD-15 is going to have a lot less output across its bandwidth than a Sonotube built around the same driver, but then you also have space, looks, and other factors to consider. This build is a dual-opposed system, so two drivers, one on each end of each box.
Quote:

Thanks Bill.
Hmm, wish I knew how to do this. I have a concrete slab and will be doing exactly like the OP. Just not sure whether I'll do the top plate or not.
The reasons I went this route are numerous, but include the bandpass feature of the plate and floor positioning, width and length limits, the fact of the top plates operating as a sort of end table and being beautiful if using marble matched to the dining room table, availability of drivers, and my total budget of ~$1000 for the subs, but not including amp & EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Of all of the things I have shown my wife, these have gone over the best. Dual opposed with "protected" and "hidden" drivers. I look forward to seeing how your project turns out Nube!
Is there a possibility that someone would do an easy button enclosure for a specific 15" and 18" with a tuned bandpass via the top and bottom plate for us? I would be very interested to see what 2x15"s or 2-18"s (SSD or other appropriate driver) would perform in this configuration. I can picture a pair of these flanking my mains.
Sorry to thread jack here. I will delete this and make a new thread if need be or if there is interest for me to take up space.
Chris
Thanks for the support! smile.gif I don't consider it a threadjack, as we share a common vision. I think the "easy button enclosure" is a good idea, and I'll try to provide detailed cutsheets and assembly plans at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Correct, except for the modeling part, which I haven't found as useful as in-room adjustment.
Loading is everything in-room and in-room is everything when it comes to what the system will present to you ears.
Your suggestions are as good as gold. Thanks!

post #16 of 120 Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

I appreciate your willingness to share your results nube. smile.gif
post #17 of 120 Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Nube- How do you think a single box with dual opposed SSD-15's, (just like the ones you are building), would compare to a single or pair of the SSD-15's mounted in a Sonotube?
I am also looking forward to seeing the detailed cutsheet and design blueprints soon!
post #18 of 120 Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

Nube- How do you think a single box with dual opposed SSD-15's, (just like the ones you are building), would compare to a single or pair of the SSD-15's mounted in a Sonotube?
I am also looking forward to seeing the detailed cutsheet and design blueprints soon!

The sonotube if sealed will perform the same. what some people are saying about the performance being a little better is assuming the sono is ported. I think it is time you started your own thread!!! You'll get a lot further that way. I can post what we have discussed so far if you want biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #19 of 120 Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The assumption I'm making with Marty's potential sono enclosure is much larger size resulting in greater efficiency if sealed. I wanted to go with a smaller sealed sonotube or similar design, but the mats were hard to track down locally.

post #20 of 120 Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Subscribed - this looks awesome Nube. Lots of pics and narratives along the way please!

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #21 of 120 Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Your suggestions are as good as gold. Thanks!

One more thing, just in case you haven't addressed it already...

The dual opposed configuration cancels driver-induced vibrations, but that's regarding the enclosure. The top plate, on the other hand, is opposing the driver excursion with nothing to aid it but that it be securely fastened.

Since it's not shown in the mock-up, I just wanted to be sure you don't plan to just sit it on top. The sketch says granite or heavy glass. Granite, depending on thickness, should be OK because of its extreme weight, but still plan on a cushion to prevent buzzing. For glass, I use 1/2" and have it drilled and use secure fasteners. cool.gif

These guys have great prices and good service. I've used them many times in the past, FWIW:

http://www.glasstopsdirect.com/
post #22 of 120 Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As it turns out, Dave, I had thought about that. Pete owns a successful high-end windows company, and can get tempered or normal glass in any size/shape/color needed.

I have a somewhat uneven tile floor, so creating stability was key to this design. The plan is to have weldments made at the top and the bottom end in the corners of each support leg. 1.5" pieces of 3/8 or 1/2 CRS plate will be used, and we'll drill and tap it. The bottom weldments will serve as a means to place adjustable legs into the base. On the top, these weldments will serve as a platform on which to rest the glass/marble/whatever to make the table top.

But, these weldments will have a dual purpose. They will also serve as a means to stack the enclosures, should I want to in the future. In that case, I'll just get some long stainless bolts that are slightly underside for the tapped holes, cut the ends off and grind/chamfer them. With some metal pad to disperse the weight on the ends, I'll use them as guides with which to sit one enclosure on top of another. I don't necessarily foresee doing this, and I'm uncertain how stable they'd be, but it's an option.

My first inclination is to get glass cut & beveled (it's cheap), and set it on little felt pads on the top of each enclosure's corner weldments. Perhaps later I'll try to find 17.25"x17.25"pieces of marble that match my dinner table. Or maybe I'll just go with a gorgeous, dark granite.

I'm also considering making magnetic grills for the top to keep out the desert dust and hide the drivers from curious visitors. Would that impact the bandpass function of the top plate in any way?

post #23 of 120 Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent off a quote request to http://www.glasstopsdirect.com/ for 3/4" thick material. The fabricators I buy from don't usually stock thicker than 3/8". I think granite may be the more economical choice. One of the stone fabricators in ABQ has an extensive boneyard of cutoffs that are close to the size needed. They waterjet cut holes for sinks in countertops so the piece removed is just about right. They can cut to size and polish the edges for a reasonable charge.

Another approach would be to find some 12" granite tile that matches your dining table and make an oak frame around the perimeter stained to match the table. We could put some threaded inserts into the corners to accept screws to keep them from blowing off during the pod emergence scene.

Plan "C" would be to make concrete tops. I've been wanting to experiment with making concrete counter tops.

I hope to find some time this weekend to flesh out the Sketchup model.

Are you thinking the grill will be horizontal atop the box or four vertical grills covering the slots?

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #24 of 120 Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Micro Update:
Glasstopsdirect said "buy it locally"

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #25 of 120 Old 09-14-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Micro Update:
Glasstopsdirect said "buy it locally"

FWIW, 18"x18"x1/2" is easily strong enough to stand on.
post #26 of 120 Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I finally picked up the wood. Pete was kind enough to place the PO for the sheets of Baltic Imperial Ply (Chinese) and let me use his Ranger to grab the stuff. Priced at just under $37 a 4x8 sheet, it fits right in my budget.

Pickup_zps2c30dda1.jpg

Yeah, it has some bow in it, and the birch veneer is pretty terrible, but whatever. We'll make it work. The extra is for other upcoming projects...

Took the protective cardboard the lumber store wrapped the sheets with and gave it to one of his two Goldens, Tanner.

Tanner_zps94766fbe.jpg

There's a good dog! If you think this guy is defective, you should see Pete's cat... wink.gif

Getting to work, the first order of business was to get all the cuts mapped out. Luckily, Pete is a master of this stuff and had it all figured out and written down in about 5 minutes. Total, for both cabinets, we're looking at using 2 sheets with not too much dropped.

Plans_zps02136829.jpg

We ripped all the pieces roughly to size. That Chinese glue sure does stink...glad to have Pete's dust collector & big ventilation system working to minimize our exposure.

Rips_zps997fa354.jpg

Lastly, we sorted and labeled all the pieces with Pete's madness method, stacked and clamped them to prevent more warping, and setup the place for the jig to do the driver and bracing cutouts this weekend.

Sorted_zps575466c1.jpg

And, as you can see, Pete's a real patriot, with his American flag, framed T&A hotrod pic, Sammy Adams bar light, and BOSE shop speakers. The guy doesn't even have Led Zepp's "How The West Was Won" on his Sonos system. (Which, I should add, is a slick f'ing system for whole-house music! And the BOSE speakers don't sound half bad...for shop speakers!)

To end the evening, we enjoyed a Super IPA from New Belgium & Alpine Beer Co.

lof_super_ipa_beer_prodshot.png

Tasty stuff!

Not bad for about an hour and a half of work. More to come this weekend.

post #27 of 120 Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome!! I know I have said it before but I am excited about this build. Keep up the good work!
post #28 of 120 Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

We made some decent progress. First used the Jasper jig to cut the driver holes. We clamped a scrap of solid core door to the table to give us a sacrificial surface to work on.

The terrible imported plywood tears out really bad. I think it's a combination of the wood itself and a fairly dull spiral upcut bit. The bottom side of the cut is clean, so we cut everything "good side down". We scrapped the first baffle piece we cut. To avoid having to cut another sheet of plywood we made an engineering change on the bracing so we could use one of the brace pieces we had already cut to replace the botched baffle.

Applying glue to attach the inner and outer baffles together.

Here's the first one glued up. We used a damp sponge to clean up the squeeze out inside the cutout and on one edge. We didn't bother to clean up the ooze on the other three sides since they'll get trimmed off later. I think the Human and the Canine have some communication going on here.

First two glued up and out of the clamps.

After we glued up the second set of baffles and cleaned the shop up a bit we kicked back and listened to "Stevie Wonder Live at Last!" on my system. It is a great recording and excellent performance. We had my 15" sealed subs rocking but we both came to the conclusion that I really need to get to work on some new surrounds.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #29 of 120 Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We had another couple of hours to work on the cabs today, but not until after we smoked a take-n-bake pizza on Pete's awesome automated smoker. It was so darn good and cheap, it's gonna become a regular gathering choice. I think my decades old Weber will accept the family sized one, too.

Lots of pics because I busted out the DSLR. No more camera phones for me!

First things first, we got pretty spot on with the baffle centering.

Double_baffle_centered_zps8eb2c48b.jpg

So then we had to square up all the baffles and trim them to size.

Baffles_squared_zpsff16c955.jpg

Turned out pretty good. Oddly enough, we hit a speed bump and had to trim an extra 1/8" off one side of everything. Not sure how that happened, but oh well - it was an easy fix.

After that tiny hiccup, we got back on track and squared everything perfectly to size. We even broke out the micrometer, and everything was within ~3-5mils.

Baffles_stacked_zps74bacbf4.jpg

The next step was cutting dados into everything. I'd never used a dado blade before, but Pete has two. He mentioned a wobbly one which is funky, but I'm not a big fan of Parliament, so we went with the precision one with multiple shim/spacer blades. First up was the bracing dado in our short sides.

Bracing_dado_zps41682ab3.jpg

Then the dados for the baffles on each end. First cut the inner dimension of the dado

Baffle_dado_1_zps48152475.jpg

then the outer. The Chi-ply is a little warped, so this took some pressure and multiple passes, but it turned out perfect.

Baffle_dado_2_zps15dce127.jpg

Then it was time to figure out a clamping strategy. We started by laying down some paper to work on. It sucks to get glue on your table saw!

Gluing_surface_zps04240ac4.jpg

The next step is fitting the pieces together. This is the length.

Assembly_2_zps19887ced.jpg

And this is the width. We ended up changing the bracing strategy yesterday to accommodate a fudge up on one of the routered panels, so instead of a full interior brace mating with all sides and having hole cutouts, we opted for just overlapping pieces touching two sides each. Works for me.

Assembly_1_zps37654b5a.jpg

The dadoed corners worked out great, just as Pete had said they would.

Assembly_3_zpsfa1922e7.jpg

Then came the gluing and clamping. We're using Titebond II and Pete's Bessey clamps. (Those thing's rock!) In the Albuquerque dry climate, the Titebond II is pretty much set after a couple of hours.

Clamped_glued_1_zpsb20558c4.jpg

Yeah, it's probably overclamped, but who says you shouldn't get OCD about this stuff?

Clamped_glued_3_zps5821be26.jpg

Turns out the corners worked great, and the glue fills the little voids that are present in the Chi-ply.

Clamped_glued_2_zpsfabdda1a.jpg

Then we wiped all the squeeze out and called it a night. Total finished length ends up being 23-3/8 IIRC, with about 1/32 overhang on each end to use the flush trim bit on.

Tomorrow we'll glue up the other cab and think about the final sides.

post #30 of 120 Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Good thing you cut dadoes. I have had horrible experiences with that Chinese ply, the veneer layer's glue is very weak, so you need screws to hold everything together if you will plan to glue straight to the veneer, or else....

JSS
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page