Human Speakers DIY? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
http://www.humanspeakers.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?page=diy/8841.txt
I am very intrigued by the Human Speakers 8841 DIY, the reason being that I have used his drivers and crossovers to refurbish/ build 2.5 pairs of Human 81 in cabinets of what were EPI 100's for my home theater. I have not heard enough "new" or "High FI" speakers to know if I am missing much. But I have heard quite a few Lower- mid level speakers and HTIB to know the ones I refurbed are far above and beyond what I have had and heard at BB.
I am looking for a 2 or 2.1 channel speaker system for around $800 for my Office and Living room, open floor plan, driven by an older Yamaha Receiver ( think rated at about 90 Watts per channel front) with pre-outs that I have yet to use, but as I build / hear I am possibly thinking a good quality 2ch amp. This system is about 80% Digitally stored music with some streaming and occasional Hulu or Netflix streaming. I do have my turntable still connected to this as well and Bluray on the office PC for my work.
Does anyone have first hand experience or opinions of the HUMAN speakers? I do and am impressed but don't have a "golden" baseline for comparison. What options for DIY in a full range tower 8" woofer, two or three way are best right now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm not seeing anything there that impresses me in the least. Especially the HF driver...

c3-parts.jpg

You'd likely be much better off with one of the SEOS designs that fit your budget when available.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 3376
Haha that's an old EPI-style tweeter, I Googled them and indeed they supply EPI replacement parts. Fond memories of listening to Thriller as a kid on a pair of EPI on a Technics receiver. Of what use such components would be today, I cannot say. Those tweeters could play mighty load though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

I'm not seeing anything there that impresses me in the least. Especially the HF driver...
c3-parts.jpg
You'd likely be much better off with one of the SEOS designs that fit your budget when available.

Mark Henninger
post #4 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

So if this is very underwhelming can you link me to one or two examples of DIY less than $800 pairs of full range speakers? Human really sounds good to me for the movies but as I stated have not heard any kind of "gold standard" to compare to.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I need to learn how to measure the output. Is there an easy link or method for measuring the frequency response Just a Mic and a meter from radio shack or what?

For what its worth this is what Huw says about his designs:
"Q: Is their sound quality really adequate to todays technical standards?

A: Actually, I would contend that the sound quality of just about all the older Genesis and EPI speakers that I build parts for set a standard of sound quality that most modern equipment fails to meet! So there.

They were designed and built to reproduce all the audible frequencies with a wide dynamic range from loud to soft (these two factors are what "digital ready" supposedly means), without emphasizing or distorting any of the tones in that range. So you hear whatever goes into them, unaltered, clean and pure. This will always be the technical standard to which audio gear must aspire."

two 8" woofers
4½" midrange
1" tweeter
3.58 Cubic Foot Cabinet
Power handling 380 watts Frequency response +/- 2dB 26Hz to 26KHz
How does this not measure up?
Sorry if I sound really not with it. I really want to find out if these are worth building at this price range.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 3376
I don't think they are underwhelming at all. I think the 8841 looks awesome! EPI parts were engineered for neutrality and to blend together with minimal crossover, attributes as useful today as they were way back when! So many memories listening to EPI... its all coming back to me now, like the day 'Thriller' came out. I had a pair of EPI 120 in the early 1980's. Sometimes I wonder if anybody has truly improved upon the EPI inverted dome. That photo of the parts does not do them justice.

Mark Henninger
post #7 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment, that is what I thought when I re-built the EPI 100's with his new drivers and crossovers. I am really happy with them for the TV/Movies. My new project is a nice 2.0 or 2.1 system that I am hoping is more "audiophile" quality and aesthetically better for my room(s), still on a pretty low budget and I would love to build them. It wouldn't be any less of a decision if I wanted to throw 4 -5,000 at a pair I'd still would be wondering if I bought right and how they compare to others. If I am interpreting right with the proper skill, care and selection many DIY folks would proudly put up their sub $1,000 speakers against almost anything built for home listening and at any??(ok maybe 4x) the price range. Or is this just fantasy?

post #8 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Human speakers? is that something like The Human Fund?

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #9 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, I believe so and if you would like to donate I can give you my address or PayPal account info... money for speakers, Human Speakers.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs