Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Hey,

I have almost completed the first of a few TC LMS 18" sub boxs and I am ready to bolt the woofer to the box. Do I need to run a silicon bead around the the rim of the sum or will the rubber be sufficient for a seal. Also should I run a bead of silicon around the inside of the box? I used rabbit and dado for joinery.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Yes, I would run a bead around the joints inside the box. No I would not run a bead around the rim of the driver. You may want or need to remove the driver. The rubber seal should work fine on the driver.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Definitely don't use silicon on your drivers to get a better seal, as Mike has already said you may need to remove them and you would have a horrible time.

I would actually remove the rubber gasket and use this instead: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-542

Rubber gaskets can leak so I always remove them and use the gasket tape for a airtight seal. I got this tip from Bossobass a long time ago who is one of the most knowledgeable sub builders on this forum.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #4 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thanks for the comments guys.
I really did not think that I would need to put a bead of silicon around the inside of the box, especially with the joints I used and the amount of glue and clamping. I would have thought the wood glue would have provided a good seal. What would the effect be of a very small leak?

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Thanks for the comments guys.
I really did not think that I would need to put a bead of silicon around the inside of the box, especially with the joints I used and the amount of glue and clamping. I would have thought the wood glue would have provided a good seal. What would the effect be of a very small leak?

You really do not need to use silicon. What most people do is run a bead of glue and then smooth it out with your finger.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page