Need opinions on which amp I should go with - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Hey guys, I am currently saving up to buy a few sub drivers to use in a DIY project, but in the mean time I want to try and get my MFW-15 up and running so that I can continue to enjoy watching movies and listening to music. My original MFW-15 amp bit the dust, and the second amp purchased from Kevin at MotorCityAudio was bad as well.

So with all of that being said, I need to purchase a new amp to drive my MFW-15. I plan on soldiering the driver directly to the binding post so that I dont have to fill in the hole left by the stock amp and can just connect it directly to my new amp. My budget is limited to $170 bucks. I am planning on purchasing a plate amp from PE and building a custom enclosure for the amp.

Here are my choices, please let me know if these will work ok with my MFW-15:

1. Yung SD300-6 has 300 watts and a 6db bass boost at 30hz as well as hpf & lpf, phase controls, ect....

2. Dayton SPA-250 250 watts with a built in hpf & lpf, as well as phase controls ect..

3. Bash 300watt with built in hpf & lpf + phase controls ect...

Which would be ok to use with my MFW-15 in a temporary situation until I can purchase the necessary materials and hardware to build 3 to 4 DIY subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Thread is a bit stale and you may have already bought something, but I would caution you on the Yung SD300-6. I bought one thinking the 6db boost would be variable or at least switch-able but it's not.

On the upside it does add impact to the sound for movies, but it makes your response anything but flat. So, make sure you want six db of boost at 30 if you get the -6 model.

The class D amps are nice for having lower power consumption and heat, so the yung amps are still a good choice. I just wish I would have gotten the standard model.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I ended up soldering the drivers + & - to the binding post, then building a custom enclosure out of MDF and covered in truck liner for the Yung 300 watt plate amp that I am using with it. Hooked it all up a week or two ago and it sounds good. Of course I am still yearning for more! I will be using the driver in my MFW-15 to put in an F-20, and I also plan on using the same outboard Yung 300 watt plate amp to power the F-20. I am also going to be building some other subs, such as the SSD-15 or SSD-18 in both a sealed and ported enclosure to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page