AVS Forum banner

NEW SUB FROM PARTS EXPRESS DAYTON 18 HO"

13K views 102 replies 43 participants last post by  djkest 
#1 ·
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho#post_22420558

Didn't know about the SI HT woofers when i ordered the obsidian 18's, not that it matters much since they will be IBed, oh well.

Going from the build quality on the obsidians, those SI's will be an amazing value. Also i know Nick had mentioned sending samples to Ricci for testing. Would love to see the results of both the Obsidian and the SI.

Indeed this occurred. I have an Obsidian 18 sitting on a workbench in my garage. The SI HT driver will be sent later.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho#post_22419808

The pictures suggest it's a 3" VC variant of the 10/12/15" versions. I suspect it's the same ~0.375-0.4375" thick top/back plates and the Xmax is probably the geometric overhang. I'd bet 15mm is a safe guess for lower distortion, and probably 20+ for audibly good/acceptable range.
I have to say I'm impressed by your ability to visually dissect a driver's internal structure from a few pictures. You must do this for a living.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho/30#post_22423763

So does this mean that PartsExpress is becoming the new Walmart of the subwoofer world?
Well they started carrying TC Sounds didn't they?

Reactions: WiSounds
#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi 

but who sells a superior 18 with that low of a Fs for $250 I don't know of any......
Don't know if I'd use the word superior, but certainly regarding displacement at least, I wouldn't forget about the fi ib3 series. Vas isn't that much larger, they work well in largish sealed enclosures (ie need not be limited only to ib), and in that environment power handling is plenty high.

I'm interested in the Dayton distortion numbers at similar displacement. This is nearly impossible info to gather though.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho/30#post_22423879

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi 

but who sells a superior 18 with that low of a Fs for $250 I don't know of any......
Don't know if I'd use the word superior, but certainly regarding displacement at least, I wouldn't forget about the fi ib3 series. Vas isn't that much larger, they work well in largish sealed enclosures (ie need not be limited only to ib), and in that environment power handling is plenty high.

I'm interested in the Dayton distortion numbers at similar displacement. This is nearly impossible info to gather though.

Man i didnt realize how close their (vas) ratings were but the relatively low BL number on the FI IB 18 concerns me in any reasonably small sealed alignment.

I havent modeled them so just thinking out loud but id think the enclosure resistance on a driver with that low a motor strength would bog it down?

Guess i should model and see but sometimes i like to dissect the T/S and discuss, then model and see where i'm wrong......

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho#post_22423615

Maybe a titanic version will follow......  who knows.

xmax is underwhelming indeed as smarter dudes have stated but who sells a superior 18 with that low of a Fs for $250 I don't know of any......

When you think about it the only competition at this price is low throw high sensitivity drivers. If you have $500 you cant go wrong with buying two of these and putting them in your two front corners.

If you have $1000 then buy two UXL-18s.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho/30#post_22428471

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho#post_22423615

Maybe a titanic version will follow......  who knows.

xmax is underwhelming indeed as smarter dudes have stated but who sells a superior 18 with that low of a Fs for $250 I don't know of any......

When you think about it the only competition at this price is low throw high sensitivity drivers. If you have $500 you cant go wrong with buying two of these and putting them in your two front corners.

If you have $1000 then buy two UXL-18s.

agreed.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho/30#post_22456252

Interesting that the RSS460HO 18" models almost identical to the Titanic 15" in a 5 cubic foot box, Xmax at 20hz with 600 watts.

Cone area vs cone travel I guess. I wonder in real world testing and listening if in fact they would be indistiguishable.

How would a sealed 18" RSSHO compare to a ported 15" RSSHO?

I was all set to begin a 15" RSSHO in a 5.5 cubic foot box, with twin 28" long ports tuned to 20hz on the recommendation over at PE. I have a Mac and I don't know how to model a sub. So I'm just wondering if the 15" is still the way to go. I'm assuming distortion levels are similar.

Thanks

Dan

#42 ·
Thanks guys. So if I'm looking at these correctly, it looks like the 15" HO ported does better getting down to 20 hz and looks a little flatter. I'll stick with that then. Much appreciated!

Dan

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghani99  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho#post_22419913

Stereo Integrity is getting into HT subs, their 18" has 20 mm Xmax, much better performance compared to the Dayton 18.
http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60
Quote:
Stereo integrity HT 18" Dual 0ohm subwoofer

Gonna take a helluva amp to drive that

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley  /t/1430305/new-sub-from-parts-express-dayton-18-ho/30#post_22479970

8 MFW-15's in dual oppossed config or 4 of these in four sealed enclosures?
I recall someone equating one of these in output to a titanic 15, From memory two MFWs had a slight edge over a single titanic but required a larger box.  Assuming the aforementioned correct, I would think the MFWs would win on output, but distortion etc IDK.  BTW, The MFWs are NLA unless you have a lead on some......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.