Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would share this info with the DIYer's
Ryan

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-472&utm_source=Retail&utm_medium=Email_Newsletter&utm_content=295-472&utm_campaign=email092012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
COOL. I wonder if an HF variant will follow? Too bad about keeping the same xmax, though (I'm guessing the same motor?). For a $250 sub, it seems lacking compared to others similar in price.
post #3 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
F**K YES!!! Thank you Dayton and PE!

Now make the HF version. biggrin.gif

*scrambles to Unibox*

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The price is right, it cosmetically looks great and the triple shorting ring should mean that the top end is clean and efficient. Xmax rating isn't much at 13mm but it may be an over achiever in that dept. like the rest of the RS/RF line. Judging from the pics the suspension is certainly capable of more. A relatively clean 20mm may not be out of the question. Maybe they will do a HF version with more xmax. I wish they would post the coil wind height and gap dimensions so we could atleast see what the geometric xmax is. One of these might have to end up on the DB test bench at some point.
post #5 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Actually lower xmax.. kinda disappointing. Maybe theyre conservative about their xmax ratings. just has to beat the xmax ratings of pro woofers near that price
post #6 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

The price is right, it cosmetically looks great and the triple shorting ring should mean that the top end is clean and efficient. Xmax rating isn't much at 13mm but it may be an over achiever in that dept. like the rest of the RS/RF line. Judging from the pics the suspension is certainly capable of more. A relatively clean 20mm may not be out of the question. Maybe they will do a HF version with more xmax. I wish they would post the coil wind height and gap dimensions so we could atleast see what the geometric xmax is. One of these might have to end up on the DB test bench at some point.

I was really hoping you'd come in and post your thoughts on this Josh. I know I promised you some 15hf's in the past but this might be the one I'll have to send you or throw in on. I'd really like your take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Actually lower xmax.. kinda disappointing. Maybe theyre conservative about their xmax ratings. just has to beat the xmax ratings of pro woofers near that price

20mm would make this thing so super awesome as it would easily add an additonal 3dB of output across the board but yeah, I'm hoping like what Josh said that it is a bit underrated but I won't hold my breath. I will however for a possible HF model though. biggrin.gif

I've been hoping for an 18" version of these since they came out.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #7 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
13mm xmax for an 18" is good if it's a Pro sub, home theater sub your probably better off getting the Titanic 15" with 20.5mm xmax and saving $50.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #8 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Bass Enabler

This guy sims well in multiples. Four of them in about 3.25cuft with 400w each model within a 1dB of my proposed dual RLp18 (4cuft and 2,200w per driver) system. Imho, that's pretty awesome! These would be great for someone who doesn't want to use a lot of super expensive amps and has room for the total system size which really isn't that large anyway. A single ep4k could make four of these keep up with one of my dual-opposed high power monsters.

At a glance, yeah, these seem kind of underwhelming but.... I like em. tongue.gif

Just don't look at them in singles. Multiples is the key with these guys. Are there more affordable choices? Of course. Total displacement isn't everything about a subwoofer system though, imo. It's just a really important part. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Here. I made a comparison of four of these new guys from Dayton and compared the four of them to a single LMS-Ultra as the price for four is roughly as much as a single LMS-U. Now...obviously the LMS-U is the superior driver and blah blah blah. I would not say that these are better drivers than it. However, if one can fit the space and just wants to use a single and simple ep4k... the choice looks obvious to me. tongue.gif

LMSUvsDHO183cuft1600w_zpsc82fded4.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #9 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

13mm xmax for an 18" is good if it's a Pro sub, home theater sub your probably better off getting the Titanic 15" with 20.5mm xmax and saving $50.

So you order 8 of them yet?? Come on man, dont fight the feeling. You know youre gonna do it. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

The pictures suggest it's a 3" VC variant of the 10/12/15" versions. I suspect it's the same ~0.375-0.4375" thick top/back plates and the Xmax is probably the geometric overhang. I'd bet 15mm is a safe guess for lower distortion, and probably 20+ for audibly good/acceptable range.

Again, a shame as it's sooo close to being something quite impressive vs. just pretty nice.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #11 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked: 11
Stereo Integrity is getting into HT subs, their 18" has 20 mm Xmax, much better performance compared to the Dayton 18.

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60
post #12 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

So you order 8 of them yet?? Come on man, dont fight the feeling. You know youre gonna do it. biggrin.gif

I don't order 8 of "everything" sheesh, your making me sound nuts wink.gif

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #13 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Again, a shame as it's sooo close to being something quite impressive vs. just pretty nice.

Well said

post #14 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I have been out of the DIY building for a bit but wouldn't an eD 19Ov.2 be a better buy? Are they still around? Their website isn't up anymore. From what I recall its around the same price with a little more than twice the Xmax.
post #15 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Well then I will! tongue.gif

Quote:

Well said

Yeah, agreed. This would be a pretty good stand out driver had it had more throw I think and definitely would compete with the new Stereo Integrity 18" that is coming out sometime in the next century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghani99 View Post

Stereo Integrity is getting into HT subs, their 18" has 20 mm Xmax, much better performance compared to the Dayton 18.

....aanndd pretty much this. However, this is the current leader in displacement for the dollar now, I believe. Except.... it doesn't exsist. *sigh* I hate that but the pre-order on these starts next week but the owner says it could be 100 days until he gets them. There is no saying that one could end up waiting forever for these like all the poor guys who got in on the AE group buy. The Dayton's are available now. With fastest shipping possible someone here could have a finished product next week. This doesn't mean much to some people but it is something to think about. Also, the Reference series in general have SUPER low distortion and inductance traits which we know nothing about wrt the SI 15's/18's.

All that being said, I've simmed the SI's and I wouldn't mind having them either. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #16 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

I have been out of the DIY building for a bit but wouldn't an eD 19Ov.2 be a better buy? Are they still around? Their website isn't up anymore. From what I recall its around the same price with a little more than twice the Xmax.

eD is no longer in business.

post #17 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
"Stereo Integrity is getting into HT subs, their 18" has 20 mm Xmax, much better performance compared to the Dayton 18."

they look reasonably good and very reasonably priced, and there is a dearth of xbl drivers, BUT...none of them can be ordered.

"I wish they would post the coil wind height and gap dimensions so we could atleast see what the geometric xmax is."

looks like 10mm is the top plate in the pdf. also, the pdf has different specs for qes/qts than the sales page. i'd guess a 30mm hc, but that is just a w.a.g.

"Again, a shame as it's sooo close to being something quite impressive vs. just pretty nice."

yeah, they seem to have kind of figured out the inductance piece and the frequency response suggests no nastiness/resonances anywhere near the bass region (even though i have no idea what "under 200hz is not representative" means in a frequency response plot of a subwoofer). if the suspension is there, why not just a little more coil?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #18 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

YES!

post #19 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

However, this is the current leader in displacement for the dollar now, I believe. Except.... it doesn't exsist. *sigh* I hate that but the pre-order on these starts next week but the owner says it could be 100 days until he gets them. There is no saying that one could end up waiting forever for these like all the poor guys who got in on the AE group buy.

Good point. I've been waiting 2 years for the CSS SDX15 MKII. Believe it when you see I guess.
post #20 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Bass Enabler

Made another sim that includes the SI 18's in the exact same size enclosure (trying to keep it apples to apples) and same power and another with more power than it could be powered at with it's extra throw.

Oh ... just a simple fyi for you guys, a ~95liter box is equivalent to a 20" cube using 3/4" stock.

SIHTd2vsDHO18vsLMSU_zps6468a04c.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #21 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Sensitivity is way short of pro woofers.

Noah
post #22 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Didn't know about the SI HT woofers when i ordered the obsidian 18's, not that it matters much since they will be IBed, oh well.

Going from the build quality on the obsidians, those SI's will be an amazing value. Also i know Nick had mentioned sending samples to Ricci for testing. Would love to see the results of both the Obsidian and the SI.
post #23 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

....aanndd pretty much this. However, this is the current leader in displacement for the dollar now, I believe. Except.... it doesn't exsist. *sigh* I hate that but the pre-order on these starts next week but the owner says it could be 100 days until he gets them. There is no saying that one could end up waiting forever for these...

Somebody has one. biggrin.gif

post #24 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghani99 View Post

Ouch. Nearly 1mH/ohm! Repurposed car audio motor for "HT use"?

Quote:

Whoa, when did this happen? I spend very little time on this form in comparison to what i used to, so this is all news to me.
*edit* Google search provided the answer. Mismanagement.

YID DIY
post #25 of 103 Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

Somebody has one. biggrin.gif

That's right. Okay, so one dude on the internet named baniels has one but that's it til sometime in 2013. wink.giftongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #26 of 103 Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

That sucks. I liked them as a company. One that was always trying to put out new products at decent prices like that doesn't come along often. I guess there is a reason.
post #27 of 103 Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

Didn't know about the SI HT woofers when i ordered the obsidian 18's, not that it matters much since they will be IBed, oh well.
Going from the build quality on the obsidians, those SI's will be an amazing value. Also i know Nick had mentioned sending samples to Ricci for testing. Would love to see the results of both the Obsidian and the SI.

Indeed this occurred. I have an Obsidian 18 sitting on a workbench in my garage. The SI HT driver will be sent later.
post #28 of 103 Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome looking forward to it.
post #29 of 103 Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

The pictures suggest it's a 3" VC variant of the 10/12/15" versions. I suspect it's the same ~0.375-0.4375" thick top/back plates and the Xmax is probably the geometric overhang. I'd bet 15mm is a safe guess for lower distortion, and probably 20+ for audibly good/acceptable range.
I have to say I'm impressed by your ability to visually dissect a driver's internal structure from a few pictures. You must do this for a living. biggrin.gif
post #30 of 103 Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166

Maybe a titanic version will follow......  who knows.

xmax is underwhelming indeed as smarter dudes have stated but who sells a superior 18 with that low of a Fs for $250 I don't know of any......

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page