Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 2273 Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robertcharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

Hey guys, been out of the game and havent been posting regularly on the forums for about a year now due to some medical bills cramping my desire to read about hobbies. Anyways, I had a long standing goal that i wanted to do a DIY project with a minimum of 2x 15 or 18" drivers powered by a single EP4000 amp to serve as an upgrade over my HSU VTF-15H.

Do you guys think these subs would do the trick? I want to have 2 seperate actual subwoofers, 1x driver per, prefferably in the smallest box possible as i have space/placement limitations (NO WAF, just a very narrow theater room (11' wide x 20' long).

11 x 20 is not small by any means. These drivers really happening now.

Keep cranking,

Robert
robertcharles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 2273 Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Hrimnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

11 x 20 is not small by any means. These drivers really happening now.

Keep cranking,

Robert

I'm sorry, i didnt mean to imply the room itself was a small space to fill with sound. I meant that the way it is oriented i have very limited places to put speakers, specifically large subs.

Basically its about an 9' ceiling, 11' wide, and 20' long. I have a projector ceiling mounted about 17' from a 118" screen. The dimensions of the screen basically fill up all but about 18" to the left and right of it before you hit wall, and ceiling to floor is only about 13" on top or bottom of screen. So, with having to place my FL/FR speakers in the front, i dont really have any good placement options as far as getting the subs in the corners. In the rear of the theater there is only 1 corner which is where i have my HSU sitting, and next to that is the A/V equipment (htpc, receiver, etc) So, i could in theory put 1 sub there, and the other sub somewhere else that wouldnt be quite as ideal.

I can draw and upload a picture with the layout, if it would help.

I guess my main concern is would these perform in a reasonably sized sealed box? Maybe as a downfiring sub, or something along those lines? I could deal with a 21x21" footprint and height of maybe 28" at most. Would that be sufficient? Or would i risk bottoming out the sub, etc.

Also, how is the musicality / sound quality of these subs? One thing i particularly like about my HSU is how it sounds with music, although 80% of the HT is used for movies or TV shows.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR7008.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
Hrimnir is offline  
post #993 of 2273 Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robertcharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I asked Josh after he tested the drive, and he told me my 3.6 cubic foot box would be ok, but I would have a little rolloff in the bottom and I might need a little EQ. One good point is the power handling will increase.
robertcharles is offline  
post #994 of 2273 Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robertcharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

I'm sorry, i didnt mean to imply the room itself was a small space to fill with sound. I meant that the way it is oriented i have very limited places to put speakers, specifically large subs.

Basically its about an 9' ceiling, 11' wide, and 20' long. I have a projector ceiling mounted about 17' from a 118" screen. The dimensions of the screen basically fill up all but about 18" to the left and right of it before you hit wall, and ceiling to floor is only about 13" on top or bottom of screen. So, with having to place my FL/FR speakers in the front, i dont really have any good placement options as far as getting the subs in the corners. In the rear of the theater there is only 1 corner which is where i have my HSU sitting, and next to that is the A/V equipment (htpc, receiver, etc) So, i could in theory put 1 sub there, and the other sub somewhere else that wouldnt be quite as ideal.

I can draw and upload a picture with the layout, if it would help.

I guess my main concern is would these perform in a reasonably sized sealed box? Maybe as a downfiring sub, or something along those lines? I could deal with a 21x21" footprint and height of maybe 28" at most. Would that be sufficient? Or would i risk bottoming out the sub, etc.

Also, how is the musicality / sound quality of these subs? One thing i particularly like about my HSU is how it sounds with music, although 80% of the HT is used for movies or TV shows.

I just saw this. With smaller sealed box, you get protection from bottoming. Those measures are external with single panel sides?
robertcharles is offline  
post #995 of 2273 Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

I'm sorry, i didnt mean to imply the room itself was a small space to fill with sound. I meant that the way it is oriented i have very limited places to put speakers, specifically large subs.

Basically its about an 9' ceiling, 11' wide, and 20' long. I have a projector ceiling mounted about 17' from a 118" screen. The dimensions of the screen basically fill up all but about 18" to the left and right of it before you hit wall, and ceiling to floor is only about 13" on top or bottom of screen. So, with having to place my FL/FR speakers in the front, i dont really have any good placement options as far as getting the subs in the corners. In the rear of the theater there is only 1 corner which is where i have my HSU sitting, and next to that is the A/V equipment (htpc, receiver, etc) So, i could in theory put 1 sub there, and the other sub somewhere else that wouldnt be quite as ideal.

I can draw and upload a picture with the layout, if it would help.

I guess my main concern is would these perform in a reasonably sized sealed box? Maybe as a downfiring sub, or something along those lines? I could deal with a 21x21" footprint and height of maybe 28" at most. Would that be sufficient? Or would i risk bottoming out the sub, etc.

Also, how is the musicality / sound quality of these subs? One thing i particularly like about my HSU is how it sounds with music, although 80% of the HT is used for movies or TV shows.

This is where an AT screen really comes in handy. You have very similar dimensions to my room. I'm a very narrow 10' 8" x 24' x 9'. I had a problem with the corners as well so mine are going in between my center tower and mains in a vertical config.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
post #996 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I am now ready to order my duel SI 18D's but everytime I call the phone number listed on the SI website, it seems to be disconnected. Does anyone know how to go about ordering them?
Martycool007 is offline  
post #997 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 474
You order them directly through the website

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=57

Looks like the D2's are sold out

Items for Sale:
Falcon Vision Horizon 120" AT Screen - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post46259713
brian6751 is offline  
post #998 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

You order them directly through the website

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=57

Looks like the D2's are sold out

Sheesh, thanks a lot PL. biggrin.gif

Good thing he's after D4's. Better jump on them.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
post #999 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just ordered 2 D4s here as well.
bhazard is offline  
post #1000 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 20,240
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
D4's are the s**t. They're too hot to handle. That's why no one got any.... can't handle the heat of those babies. biggrin.gif

Now me? I could... yup. cool.gif
Scott Simonian is offline  
post #1001 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,238
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
Liked: 2466
D2's ah betta, we go on first and CLEAN de hair!
beastaudio is offline  
post #1002 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,933
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Sheesh, thanks a lot PL. biggrin.gif

Good thing he's after D4's. Better jump on them.

Don't blame me...lol. It's all beasts fault!

I talked to Nick yesterday and he said they still have something like 50 of the 18" D4's and plenty of the the D2/D4 15's left.

Wonder when the D2's are going to be back in stock? I'll have to inquire when he drops off my D2's this weekend.
popalock is offline  
post #1003 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,238
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
Liked: 2466
Don't you put this on me Ricky Bobby! I ain't do nothin'!!! Dang, two movie quotes in a row, I have to stop.
beastaudio is offline  
post #1004 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 507
^^ Both of you crazy ba*rds are guilty of depleting the inventory.

Alright, maybe P-lock's trailer load killed it the hardest though. biggrin.gif
Gorilla83 is offline  
post #1005 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 20,240
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
I think between the three of us we cleaned em up pretty good. Did anyone else get eight or more?
Scott Simonian is offline  
post #1006 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I got 8 and could use some input. Post #988 Bueller Bueller?
gpmbc is offline  
post #1007 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 20,240
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
It's best not to over think the bracing. Way too often people over do it and it's really not necessary.

Go for window bracing or just cut one big circle out. It's really more important to tame the panel resonance(s) so spacing out and having wood "bracing" on the walls is all you really need.... yes, mostly. tongue.gif
imagic likes this.
Scott Simonian is offline  
post #1008 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Thx Scott
gpmbc is offline  
post #1009 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,238
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
Liked: 2466
Yep yep, I will not be doing roundovers on my cabinet bracing. I think that is just a waste of time, but it looks good!
beastaudio is offline  
post #1010 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
djkest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

Hey guys, been out of the game and havent been posting regularly on the forums for about a year now due to some medical bills cramping my desire to read about hobbies. Anyways, I had a long standing goal that i wanted to do a DIY project with a minimum of 2x 15 or 18" drivers powered by a single EP4000 amp to serve as an upgrade over my HSU VTF-15H.

Do you guys think these subs would do the trick? I want to have 2 seperate actual subwoofers, 1x driver per, prefferably in the smallest box possible as i have space/placement limitations (NO WAF, just a very narrow theater room (11' wide x 20' long).

Depends what kind of output you are looking for, and budget.
The SI 15" sub is happy in 2.0-2.5 cubic feet, which is a pretty small box, ~ 18x18x18" cube. 2 of those to smooth room modes might be enough for your and meet your goals. Ported box tuned to 18 Hz ~5 cubes

Then again, an SI 18" could be used in a box as small as 4.25 cubic feet. Ported you are looking at 6-10 cubic feet.

Without EQ the VTF-15H will probably be louder at 20 Hz than a sealed SI 18.

Also, I am just getting the funds together for an 18D2 and NOW they are out of stock? I wonder how many months I'll have to wait now?
djkest is offline  
post #1011 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Newbie
 
R_SIXXER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a HT 18" D4. I will be posting up pics during my build process. I am going with a 4 cubic foot sealed box powered by a EP2500
R_SIXXER is offline  
post #1012 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 20,240
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Yep yep, I will not be doing roundovers on my cabinet bracing. I think that is just a waste of time, but it looks good!

It does, lol and I never mind seeing what kind of work people put into their bracing. Heheh. Often they are their own work of art. tongue.gif

Nice and all but it does nothing to help performance (99% of the time) and once that box is all sealed up it's hard to appreciate it anymore. More time spent on the outside would be best. I should take my own advice.... nah. Black paint. tongue.gif
Scott Simonian is offline  
post #1013 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 20,240
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_SIXXER View Post

I just purchased a HT 18" D4. I will be posting up pics during my build process. I am going with a 4 cubic foot sealed box powered by a EP2500

Nice. Just one? If so, you can bridge that ep2500 and let loose on that baby!
Scott Simonian is offline  
post #1014 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 9,898
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 7168
The first time I put together a dual opposed, it became obvious to me that bracing is doing very little for most folks. 99% of what people perceive as 'box flex' is simple Newtonian physics at work - vibration caused by driver's physical piston movement, not by pressure changes in the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

It does, lol and I never mind seeing what kind of work people put into their bracing. Heheh. Often they are their own work of art. tongue.gif

Nice and all but it does nothing to help performance (99% of the time) and once that box is all sealed up it's hard to appreciate it anymore. More time spent on the outside would be best. I should take my own advice.... nah. Black paint. tongue.gif

Mark Henninger
imagic is offline  
post #1015 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
R_SIXXER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Nice. Just one? If so, you can bridge that ep2500 and let loose on that baby!

Yep just one. Was struggling to find a place to fit the box in the theater room.
R_SIXXER is offline  
post #1016 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,005
Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Did anyone else get eight or more?

I have 8 d4's that are supposed to be delivered tomorrow!! biggrin.gif
carp is offline  
post #1017 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,238
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
Liked: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I have 8 d4's that are supposed to be delivered tomorrow!! biggrin.gif

BASS BRO!!!! haha minus the whole VC config thing. Jeez D2's take the cake, no for real...
beastaudio is offline  
post #1018 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,005
Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

BASS BRO!!!! haha minus the whole VC config thing. Jeez D2's take the cake, no for real...

I want to post a pic with all 8 like you did, but we are weak compared to Austin!
carp is offline  
post #1019 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I am now ready to order my duel SI 18D's but everytime I call the phone number listed on the SI website, it seems to be disconnected. Does anyone know how to go about ordering them?

We actually changed the phone number today. Didn't realize the old number was still up on the web site. eek.gif
Electrodynamic is offline  
post #1020 of 2273 Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
djkest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Any idea when the D2's will be up?

Also, anyone ran a 2 ohm load on 1 channel of an EP4000 or EP2500.. ? Will it be happy?
djkest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Stereo Integrity Siht18

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off