Bare speaker wire to female 3.5mm in an RV stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to add some wireless outdoor speakers to my RV. The existing stereo unit in my RV has a speaker channel which is available for use. Currently I just have two old stereo speakers connected with the bare wire and I run them out my Rv window.

But like I said we want something wireless. All the wireless systems I see have a transmitter that connects via a male 3.5mm jack.

Is there anyway I can take the existing two outputs from my stereo (just the two sets of bare black and red connections) and connect them to a female 3.5mm jack for the transmitter to then plug into?

I hope that makes sense to someone out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
speaker wire has a higher voltage than line level interconnects.

if your stereo/cd player/ipod has a 3.5mm or rca output that is what you want to use. there are converter cables from 3.5mm to rca and vice versa if you need that.

the only thing that you really want to plug speaker wire into is a speaker.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping my own thread with further info instead of posting a new one.

But I'm going to run the existing speaker wire through my RV walls and have it come out in 2 spots where I want to put external speakers on the outside of our RV.

To put it simply I know nothing about speakers aside from the I can plug the little red and black marked wires into a speaker that has a little red and black tab on the back of it.

In researching outdoor RV speakers those don't seem to be the type of connections that are on them. I guess it's kind of an outdated or unused connection type?

Can anyone who knows enough and doesn't mind poking around a bit even recommend a set of marine boat/rv speakers that are for external use that I can connect with the wires that I have? Or if a conversion of some sort is possible that is fine too. I can manage well enough altering or adding connectors if that's needed.

Please anyone, I really am kinda clueless on this. And I realize that as it is on all forums there is a wealth of knowledge here and I can search but I really don't even know what to search for cause I really dont' know anything beyond red wire red hole black wire black hole.

Thanks for the help if any!
post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recommend doing it like this:

But seriously, are you still interested in wireless speakers, or to you just want to add some external speakers to your RV? Are the wires that you plan to connect to external speakers connected to any speakers now? What kind of stereo is it (in other words, what is on the non-speaker end of the speaker cables)? A picture of the stereo and/or where you want to put the speakers is worth a thousand words. A link to the kind of speakers you are thinking of adding would help, too.

-Max
post #5 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

No longer interested in wireless. Just going to run the wires for the 3rd unused speaker selection on my stereo in my RV. It's a Jensen.

Currently I have a set of old surround sound home theatre speakers connected to these wires, we run the wires out the RV window and put the speakers outside and put them up other times.

We want outdoor permanent speakers that I will mount on the exterior.

I don't know what kind of speakers to get. I've never seen any that accept the old black and red inputs that I have available. The connection at the back of the stereo is just a clip that lets you push a tab and lets you put plain speaker wire into it. red/black red/black. I run speaker wire and connect it to the crappy old speakers I have now.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think that all you need to do is find suitable speakers and hook them up. The speakers you get will have terminals to connect the wires to. You may want to crimp or solder them to the speaker terminals, but this is common car stereo installation stuff (lots of info available on the net if you need help). I'm not recommending these speakers specifically, but here's the manual for one set (not many details, but that's because it's so easy):
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/downloads/dl/file/id/85/jxhd35_owners_manual.pdf

It looks like there are many threads on RV forums about this topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=outside+RV+speakers

-Max
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs