Help with box specs, etc? 12W7 or 13W7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've always wanted to build something with a W7 series sub be it car or home. Do you think it would be worth the effort for any of the following:

JL 12W7 + TC Sounds 12" VMP

Or

JL 13W7 + TC Sounds 12" VMP

If any of you are good at modelling enclosures and could give me an idea of what size I would need to go, power needed, what kind of output and extension something like this would give, that would be great!

I already have a plan for the TC Sounds 5200 18 I have but it is a little on the big side. Hopefully something like this would net a nice sub to compliment my SVS PB12-NSD and help it fill out the low end.

Denon AVR-4311CI, AudioControl Savoy G3||| Axiom Audio M80v3, M22v3, VP180, & QS8's||| Zaph|Audio ZA5.5tt, ZA5.3t's||| SVS PB12-NSD Sub, DIY PWK Designed TC-Sounds 18 Aperiodic Sub|||= 11.2 Surround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
since you are in canada, have you considered a mach 5 audio uxl 18? it is about half the cost of the jl and offers more sensitivity and higher max spl. just something to consider.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Haha, I have a feeling this could turn into one of those... "Get something better for half the cost..." type of threads...

Hey man, I was in love with JL (especially the W7's) back in the day myself... Hell, still a huge fan! Joining this forum and discovering the DIY section changed my entire outlook on subs though... but in a good way.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
"Haha, I have a feeling this could turn into one of those... "Get something better for half the cost..." type of threads..."

what is wrong with better performance for half the cost?

in a 6 cubic footer with two 12" vmp's with 660g mass added, you get an enclosure tune to around 20hz.

the 13w7 is about a $900 driver and $320 in passives.

a uxl runs around $550 delivered and in a simple ported enclosure tuned to around 20hz seems to kill the w7 everywhere (both at 2kw).

make of it what you wish.

edit: if the op wants to run the jl13w7, that's cool. sometimes a person gets their head into a brand and wants to go with that. and that is cool. a diehard ford guy might not ever be happy in a hyundai even if the hyundai managed to make its way around the track faster (or bimmer, merc, or any other mark). just sayin....so it's pretty much back to the o.p. to choose what he wants.

personally, i don't see a fail either way. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

what is wrong with better performance for half the cost?

Nothing. I encourage it as well.

Guess I was trying to relate to the OP because, coming from the car audio scene, I too was convinced JL W7 was the sub to have.

Since diving into AVS I've discovered many many products that trump the W7 from a performance/price standpoint. (i.e. - the UXL you reference above)

I personally am a huge advocate for the dual opposed design to which one could implement a pair of LMS-R's for a comparable price to a single 13W7...

Now, with that said, the OP mentions that he already has a TC Sounds 18" and it's a bit "big." One area the W7 is hard to beat, as I'm sure many will agree, is performance in a small foot print. If a small form factor is the primary goal, then I don't think he can get a much better driver. Granted, there might be some that offer 90% of the performance for 50% of the price, but I'll leave that debate to you guys.

I wonder if the OP is still around. He mentions that he wants to compliment his SVS sub. I'm wondering if that means matching the physical footprint.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
I'm not convinced that SPL and extension tells the whole story for a sub, but I do know that I came into this forum convinced I'd build something with JL and of course I feel silly about those first few days now because that's not gonna happen.... and I am certain - beyond all reasonable doubt certain - that JL subwoofers are a waste of good, hard-earned money, no matter how reliable and how cool looking they are. If money is no object, who cares. Otherwise I have to concur, nothing special about the JL subs, certainly nothing worth the premium.

BUT... you said 'be it car or home' and the you always wanted to try it, so it sounds like a wish list item - I'd suggest go for it in the car, where JL subs belong.

For a compact, powerful home sub you ought to go with dual-opposed 12" drivers, with the budget for a single W7 and a passive radiator you can buy just about any pair of 12" drivers out there, including TC sounds flagship drivers http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=293-638

So there it is. It's really a 'get something better that JL audio for half the cost' thread, but it's true. I wasted hours modeling JL subs, I'm not gonna do it again. My wife works in PR, I should have figured out that's where JL excels... if you claim to be the 'world's best' long enough, people start to print it whether it's true or not.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have access to a 12W7 and 13W7 so only cost would be materials and the passive radiator. I think I might just end up waiting to see what TC Sounds comes out with as far as prebuilt HT subs before I do anything. I still need to find somewhere to help out with the cabinets for my Zaph|Audio towers, etc, sice eD went out of business. Ugh. Just ordered my VP180 from Axiom and I'll be getting my AC Savoy G3 so my setup is slowly but surely coming together.

Denon AVR-4311CI, AudioControl Savoy G3||| Axiom Audio M80v3, M22v3, VP180, & QS8's||| Zaph|Audio ZA5.5tt, ZA5.3t's||| SVS PB12-NSD Sub, DIY PWK Designed TC-Sounds 18 Aperiodic Sub|||= 11.2 Surround