img14211.th.jpg
img14251.th.jpg
img14321.th.jpg

The Amp: UPDATE
Came in this Tuesday.
img1459fd.jpg
img1461ym.jpg
img1462d.jpg
Thanks for the ALU casing Nathan. Overall it looks really excellent. May get time to play with it this Friday.
2ch 800 watts RMS w DSP from.......*drum-roll*...... .Funk Audio.cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

I really got the itch to build in late 2010 but thought it was too overwhelming and dangerous. My first sub was the 2008 Epik Tower (15" 500 watts 18hz tuned). Though this was 1) the schiznit 2) crazy to spend ~$1.2K on a sub and 3) the end of it. Then 2 yrs later, got an Epik Empire and was bummed about the steep roll off- though it's a dream for music. (I got DIY plans for the Empire, but one project at a time plz wink.gif )
I wanted more from a sub (a little more low end and *umph* at the LP. Like most of us, I don't have a dedicated, sealed, HT room. Total space is 5500 cu ft and my section has 3 walls (2 corners). Thought seriously about the SubM, then the Aura's went on sale. ALU cones...18s....bought the drivers when they were $630 shipped back in May 2011 and they've been in storage ever since with the occasional admiration episode tongue.gif . Together with all the tools, glue, and wood, I had 1/3 of my budget remaining left for the amp. Was tempted to skimp (Marathon 5050 (bulk, fan noise), Peavy IPR (bright lights, fan noise, and more wire clutter) but aesthetics are improtant to me so I waited till Mr Funk would again order parts to build the 2ch 800 watt plate amp (mid July 2012 biggrin.gif ).
So it's slowly comming together. 2 cabs, 4.5 cu ft sealed each and starting with 80% stuffed with 3-4 coats of Duratex.
More updates will be posted as they happen smile.gif .

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Awww, man. Aura 18's.....

I'll be watching this one.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website