7 x RE Audio XXX 18" subs, Infinite Baffle Sub, Ultimate IB build - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 540 Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Are you saying the RE's will have better midbass run IB as opposed to sealed?

Actually I don't know, never had an IB before. I was just going off of what Dave said and Keager reports monstrous bass as well from his XXX IB but can't recall what he has to say regarding mid-bass.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 540 Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Got my first measurement of the subs today.
Nice dip @ about 27hz, but as my ears were telling me, much, much, much, much, much room gain.
Using a sound devices USBPre 2 with an Audix TM1 mic.

Wow, that looks good.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #363 of 540 Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I still have not EQ'ed this, but.
Today, while the wife was out I let her rip... I have never been scared in a movie before like I was in the Pod emerges scene of WOTW. My whole body was shaking. I don't know who said there is no tactile feeling on concrete floors, b/c I felt like I was in a boat. The pressure was incredible, this was not leg pants moving stuff, it was literally vibrating my chest, my whole body, my skin. I kid you not, I was a little disorientated a couple of times in that scene, I could not think properly.

Sounds like you need to hurry up and get the other 3 installed so we can all hear what it feels like to have one's own internal organs liquefied by bass!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

On a serious note, the other location should help out those dips quite a bit.
post #364 of 540 Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

Sounds like you need to hurry up and get the other 3 installed so we can all hear what it feels like to have one's own internal organs liquefied by bass!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Ahhhh man, I wish I was so lucky! When you can damage internal organs with bass that is when you know you are playing with real power biggrin.gif

post #365 of 540 Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

On a serious note, the other location should help out those dips quite a bit.

LOL! biggrin.gif

Yes, I al;ways knew I had a dip there with subs up front, which is why I was originally going to go with the LMS at the back of the room to smooth out the response. But, the second set of IB subs should do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Ahhhh man, I wish I was so lucky! When you can damage internal organs with bass that is when you know you are playing with real power biggrin.gif

I hope not! biggrin.gif

BTW, the sound card and mic are pretty good set of measuring instruments, how how acurate is that ULF? Am I really getting a flat response down to 2hz? It does not look like there is anything funky going on there.

And how do you guys go for a max SPL sweep? The subs were not even breaking a sweat @ this SPL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #366 of 540 Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

3 more house crushing drivers are on the way, I am told they are being built right now. I also have ordered the real Lab Grubppen FP14000 and that should be here next week.

I am going to get started on EQ'ing the system this week, as I can EQ the remaing subs at a later date. Should be good to see what the system can really do.

post #367 of 540 Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Spectacular FR Dave. Congratulations.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #368 of 540 Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 705
MAX spl on your system, just run your sweep and crank it 5dB on the master volume at a time until you begin to see compression in the response, OR if you are clipping anywhere. Try and avoid that if you can...haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #369 of 540 Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Gotcha. I will give it a go.

post #370 of 540 Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 212
As I read many pages of this thread I sense the soul and spirit of "kryptonitewhite" working and showing itself thru what JapanDave is doing......

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #371 of 540 Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am not sure I follow?

I am however going to be adding a "generous" house curve down to 5hz if I can. I am not concerned with max SPL in the low to mid base region, just the ULF. From there I can see how aggressive I can make that curve.

post #372 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 AM

Liked: 10
i spent a bunch of time reading this thread and now see you have already ordered your subs.... i was going to recommend david moore, @ PSI he used to work for RE years ago... he would have been able to custom build your subs, to INCREDIBLE standards. IB setups usually require vastly different T/S parameters, then factor in your individual amplifier impedence criteria and you end up needing something pretty unique especially if you want it to have some 'hairy ones' too.... this guy would have made you something you would be proud to own... oh and the prices are ridiculously cheap considering what you get.... however im sure you will be satisfied with those RE subs. i was unable to determine which year those RE subs were build? the newer design? or older XBL^2 technology?

- Wes
post #373 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Finally got around to finishing the front wall, all I have to do now is attach the black acoustic cloth and I am done.

post #374 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Finally got around to finishing the front wall, all I have to do now is attach the black acoustic cloth and I am done.

OT here... Dave does your screen open away from that baffle wall like a giant door? That's awesome.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #375 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

OT here... Dave does your screen open away from that baffle wall like a giant door? That's awesome.
Certainly does. I had to figure out a way to access behind a 14' wide screen, so I thought up this system.

post #376 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Love that pic, essentially a theoretically ideal front stage.

Four of the best IB drivers available, idealy split in both height and width, with three superb LCRs, in an ideally low diffraction baffle.

That's the way you do it. Hats off to you man.
robertcharles likes this.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #377 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Love that pic, essentially a theoretically ideal front stage.
Four of the best IB drivers available, idealy split in both height and width, with three superb LCRs, in an ideally low diffraction baffle.
That's the way you do it. Hats off to you man.

Thanks, lets hope it works out that way after I EQ everything.smile.gif

post #378 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflamboynt View Post

i spent a bunch of time reading this thread and now see you have already ordered your subs.... i was going to recommend david moore, @ PSI he used to work for RE years ago... he would have been able to custom build your subs, to INCREDIBLE standards. IB setups usually require vastly different T/S parameters, then factor in your individual amplifier impedence criteria and you end up needing something pretty unique especially if you want it to have some 'hairy ones' too.... this guy would have made you something you would be proud to own... oh and the prices are ridiculously cheap considering what you get.... however im sure you will be satisfied with those RE subs. i was unable to determine which year those RE subs were build? the newer design? or older XBL^2 technology?
- Wes
I have seen the PSI woofers and although they are nice I would still prefer to have the RE XXX's.

JapanDave your front wall is awesome. I still love your custom screen frame. Incredible all around as usual.

post #379 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I have seen the PSI woofers and although they are nice I would still prefer to have the RE XXX's.
JapanDave your front wall is awesome. I still love your custom screen frame. Incredible all around as usual.

Thanks for the kind words!

Some pics, the subs loaded on a pallet and ready to go.

post #380 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Awesome stuff Dave! I have always said the same thing, I can still feel all the effects on my concrete floors. You will know for sure if that ULF is legit once you do higher sweeps and see what happens down there. Usually you get electronics rolloff at around 5 hz with processor and even more with the mic. I always will have rolloff at 5hz due to my soundcard and mic but I know with a better mic and sound card I would be flat to 2-3 hz but not sure how loud it would stay. Be proud as those drivers since they are one of the best and you used them properly! What speakers are those? I have always wanted to build a THX baffle wall myself, what is yours made of?
post #381 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Awesome stuff Dave! I have always said the same thing, I can still feel all the effects on my concrete floors. You will know for sure if that ULF is legit once you do higher sweeps and see what happens down there. Usually you get electronics rolloff at around 5 hz with processor and even more with the mic. I always will have rolloff at 5hz due to my soundcard and mic but I know with a better mic and sound card I would be flat to 2-3 hz but not sure how loud it would stay. Be proud as those drivers since they are one of the best and you used them properly! What speakers are those? I have always wanted to build a THX baffle wall myself, what is yours made of?

Hey MK,
Thanks for the kind words.
The speakers are from Quested, these are the specs.

The wall is a combination of MDF and plywood to give about 2 1/4 inch thickness and I have steal H beams running down the middle of the wall for strength, to stop wall flex. I then have 2" of glass wool covering the whole wall.

post #382 of 540 Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Awesome! I love it and I might just build a baffle wall just for that cool in wall look!
post #383 of 540 Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Awesome! I love it and I might just build a baffle wall just for that cool in wall look!
Absolutely, if you have the room , I would recommend it to anyone. May have to change speaker that are suited to baffle walls though.

post #384 of 540 Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 12
Dave,

I am looking to build a house and I was wondering if the addition of the recessed area for the IB was a significant cost increase or caused any other design complications for the house.
post #385 of 540 Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightywetfoot View Post

Dave,
I am looking to build a house and I was wondering if the addition of the recessed area for the IB was a significant cost increase or caused any other design complications for the house.
None what so ever.

post #386 of 540 Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

More base.

The next 3 RE XXX 18" drivers destroyers have arrived.

post #387 of 540 Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Wow, nice and quick delivery.

I trust the made the trip unscathed ...

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #388 of 540 Old 12-22-2012, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks FOH. Yes , thy made the trip unscathed, I just hope they can understand Japanese, b/c we watch a few Japanese movies here and there. tongue.gif
I was lucky as I had mjaudio help me get these subs this time around. He saved me a bundle on shipping and the actual drivers. Thanks Mike.

post #389 of 540 Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I am glad I could help your epic build, I just wish I was close enough to be able to experience it!

post #390 of 540 Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks again Mike,
I should be starting on the second IB after the new year, or if I get time and the energy on the new years break. I have 4 days off starting on the 31st.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page