Behringer iNuke NU3000...loud fan issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I got an NU3000 DSP in the mail Monday and I've been playing around with the DSP. Last night I tried actually watching a movie with it. Well, the thing is that I have a newborn so I had to keep the volume low so she could sleep. This hasn't been a problem up to this point since everything in my equipment rack is fairly quiet...that is until the iNuke...

1- So I measured the spl of the fan at idle with no other devices in the rack turned on and it's 60db at about a foot from the front of the faceplate. I've got a 24" box fan that isn't this loud, and the amp isn't even amplifying anything. Is this the way they all are? I'm not even aware of any 12v fans that are in the neighborhood of 60db. The fan in my rack is 12db.

2 - I didn't measure right at the faceplate because the amp blows air out the front of the faceplate. Every other piece of equipment I've had pulls air in from the front and blows it out the back. So now this amp is exhausting into the intake of all the other equipment. Seems bass ackwards to me.

3 - Gain structure doesn't seem to work well. I have to dime the gain to get decent output comparable to the 300w plate amp it is supposed to be replacing. I may be able to adjust the LFE out level on the AVR to make this work though.

What are your experiences? Is there a decent fan mod? If not then I don't think this amp will work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's very common knowledge that the iNuke has an unbearably loud fan. There are several threads out there regarding this and fully explain how to swap the fan. Here are a few:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/52124-behringer-inuke-nu1000-amp-amplifier-fan-swap-how-w-pics.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0acD2uFFkg

I personally swapped my fan for this - http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/no80nf34cfm.html

Very quiet fan and I can only hear it when it's the only piece of equipment running, and I have to be right next to it.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. Hometheatershack and youtube are blocked at work so I'll have to read them tonight. I can get a fan locally at microcenter and give it a try, but need to know what the cfm requirements of the amp are.

But before I get into that I'm concerned that I may have a defective fan regulator circuit or something. I had read that the iNuke was loud when pushed, but I wasn't expecting 60db with no input signal. A class D amp shouldn't need a fan running at all with little to no input. I have another class D amp that is absolutely silent and runs cool, only switching the fan on when it's really working hard.
post #4 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM

Your fan regulator is not broke, that's just how loud this thing is. And as far as CFM, just get something in the 30-35CFM range and you'll be good. The only way you would need a more powerful fan is if the rack you are putting this into, is basically an oven and doesn't have proper airflow.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 124

Normal, sounds like a toy jet plane taking off.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleful View Post

Your fan regulator is not broke, that's just how loud this thing is. And as far as CFM, just get something in the 30-35CFM range and you'll be good. The only way you would need a more powerful fan is if the rack you are putting this into, is basically an oven and doesn't have proper airflow.

Ok, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Normal, sounds like a toy jet plane taking off.

Yeah, no kidding.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, this is the most quiet 80mm fan they had.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214016

Not the most powerful fan at ~28-30cfm, but we'll see.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
For my iNuke 1000's I'm using a fan from Noctua. Silent to the point that you only hear the fan when you put your ear up to the front of the amp. Also, very good airflow.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-80mm-fan-Model-NF-R8/dp/B000S95RWE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8

Being that my amps are rack mounted, I was looking into picking up a 80mm to 120mm converter and a 120mm fan. This means that the fan would be mounted outside of the amp but it would increase airflow along with having a virtually silent fan. The Noctua above was so quiet however that I just decided to keep them. Links below for converter and 120mm fan.

80mm to 120mm Fan Adapter
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92mm-120mm-Converter/dp/B002C7IQ1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351162833&sr=1-1&keywords=80+to+120

120mm Fan
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-P12-Nine-Blade-Bearing/dp/B002CQU12C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351162938&sr=1-3&keywords=noctua+120mm
post #9 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not sure that going with a larger fan wouldn't make the amp just as loud as before. I'm thinking, from what I was able to test last night which confirms what I read on hometheatershack, that the issue is the amount of air moving inside the box and not the noise of the fan. The fan itself is quiet once you take it out of the amp.

I do want to try mounting the stock fan outside the box to see if it makes any difference. I also want to play around with that shroud and see what I can do. Removing the shroud only dropped the noise by about 1 db. Flipping the fan so it blows out the back raised the noise level by about 3db. I didn't get around to swapping the fan because Behringer put glue all over the connector to deter DIYers from modding the fan. I didn't have time to pick the glue off.

Of course the real fix would be to thermostatically control the fan speed so that it's not blowing like a tornado when the amp isn't doing anything, but I hope I don't have to go that far.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 124

Generally speaking larger fans can move the same amount of air with less rpms which usually means less noise, but not necessarily.

post #11 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 AM

I believe the fan is temperature controlled. It gets louder.. I took the time and peeled the glue holding the connector, reused it on the new fan. I purchased a SilenX fan and am happy, though I don't think the amp can hold a sine wave near clipping anymore with the reduced airflow.
http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=efx-08-15
For reference: I am using a 3000DSP bridged mono into a 21" sealed Sub presenting an 8ohm load.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Generally speaking larger fans can move the same amount of air with less rpms which usually means less noise, but not necessarily.

But, like I said, I don't think it's fan noise but air-moving-through-the-case noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterX View Post

I believe the fan is temperature controlled. It gets louder.. I took the time and peeled the glue holding the connector, reused it on the new fan. I purchased a SilenX fan and am happy, though I don't think the amp can hold a sine wave near clipping anymore with the reduced airflow.
http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=efx-08-15
For reference: I am using a 3000DSP bridged mono into a 21" sealed Sub presenting an 8ohm load.

I think it has 2 levels, hurricane 1 which is always on and gale force hurricane 2 which is probably input voltage controlled. It just doesn't seem to matter if the amp is hot or not.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM

I'm just going to lay it out there, it's a 10 buck fix. If you put that stock fan in any other case it's noisy. When it is sitting not attached to anything it may seem not so loud but compared to almost any replacement fan it is. If you are wanting a more exotic fix maybe put a resistor inline on the stock fan to bring the rpms down.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterX View Post

I'm just going to lay it out there, it's a 10 buck fix. If you put that stock fan in any other case it's noisy. When it is sitting not attached to anything it may seem not so loud but compared to almost any replacement fan it is. If you are wanting a more exotic fix maybe put a resistor inline on the stock fan to bring the rpms down.

Understood. I've purchased a supposedly quiet fan I'm going to try once I scrape the glue off the connector. I'm just trying to test each possibility in order to figure out the best solution.

I've seen the resistor mod too. Same thing as a lower rpm fan which I've already purchased.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
post #16 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I bought a pack of these heatsinks and a rubber fan gasket. I know, probably not neccessary, but I'm just going to try some stuff.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/253133/ZM-RHS1_Video_Card_RAM_Heatsinks
post #17 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

Understood. I've purchased a supposedly quiet fan I'm going to try once I scrape the glue off the connector. I'm just trying to test each possibility in order to figure out the best solution.
I've seen the resistor mod too. Same thing as a lower rpm fan which I've already purchased.

Just an FYI... the Noctua fans I linked actually come with 2 separate resistors if you wanted to speed down the fan more although out of the box they are nearly dead silent. Even with the amp under load they are nearly dead silent.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got everything installed. I had to splice the wires since my fan came with a different connector. Probably should have planned ahead and found an adapter, but oh well.

It's absolutely silent at idle now...but that fan moves maybe 1/4 the air. I need to get it going under load and give the fan a listen. I left the shroud in. I really don't think the shroud has any effect on noise level, stock fan or otherwise.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

I got everything installed. I had to splice the wires since my fan came with a different connector. Probably should have planned ahead and found an adapter, but oh well.
It's absolutely silent at idle now...but that fan moves maybe 1/4 the air. I need to get it going under load and give the fan a listen. I left the shroud in. I really don't think the shroud has any effect on noise level, stock fan or otherwise.

The impact that the shroud has on noise is minimal at best. Even under full load, the fan you installed will be extremely quiet if not almost dead silent. As far as the connector goes, you could have just used the original PC fan connector. Although the amp connector only has 2 pins, they should have lined up... at least it did with mine. The original PC fan connector however once installed correctly will be loose. In a case where you don't want to splice, just dab some hot glue just like what was there prior (connector to the board) and it would stay put.

Great job btw on the mod!!
post #20 of 20 Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

As far as the connector goes, you could have just used the original PC fan connector. Although the amp connector only has 2 pins, they should have lined up... at least it did with mine. The original PC fan connector however once installed correctly will be loose. In a case where you don't want to splice, just dab some hot glue just like what was there prior (connector to the board) and it would stay put.

Good point...with all the pulling pins and swapping connectors I was doing I don't know why I didn't think of just jamming the pc connector onto the pins on the board. Oh well.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page