First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Popa - Would you be down for a mini-GTG over sometime thanksgiving or Christmas weeks? We could even do 2 LMS, 2 dual opposed daytons, and 2 empires? Maybe grab a couple submersives from ironmike as well? Battle of the sealed shootout. biggrin.gif
Looking forward to the Mammoth makeover too. biggrin.gif

Man, if it was all about me I would say let's do it Thanksgiving and Christmas weekend... smile.gif

Realistically, I don't think that would pass congressional approval. If I was to drop everything right now and give 100% attention to the wife for the next month I might be able to do something the week before Christmas.

But everything I would want to get done before the get together would take up time and money. I still need to buy a miniDSP, get the Clone fixed (could take WEEKS), buy more Carbon fiber, strip the mammoths down and refinish them. Working with resin is a chore bro... On top of that, if we wanted to play with the SI's they first need to exist and I would still have to build a box for them.

At a mininum I could leave the boxes as-is and would just need to get the Clone fixed. If we could spend the time getting the settings right using your miniDSP, then I'd be satisfied. It would be cool having only 3-4 contenders so we could approach testing from several different angles/combinations (etc...). Take our time with it, ya know.

You might have a few Clone's yourself by then and if'f that's the case all I would have to do is load up the LMS and head out your way...Hummmm, I might be running out of excuses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 325
My recommendation for the wife would be to pony up for some real nice gifts this season - that should give you some bargaining power. biggrin.gif

Let's look at the other issues:

Minidsp - can use mine for sure
Carbon fiber? That doesn't add any SPL or extend frequency response to my knowledge. biggrin.gif Throw some duratex on those things and call it a day. NEXT
Clone - Definitely get yours fixed, and I'll see what I can do about adding to my amp collection as a 'backup.' At minimum I'm I'd like to upgrade my 20A dedicated sub amp line to 30A in preparation for whatever comes next.

To give us some extra time to tie up some loose ends, maybe let's shoot for the Saturday after Christmas, the 29th? I think 3-4 solid setups would be perfect and would give us plenty of time for setup, EQ, measurements, and beer drinking of course. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif You guys are of course more than welcome to stay over so no additional costs would be incurred. tongue.gif
post #273 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My recommendation for the wife would be to pony up for some real nice gifts this season - that should give you some bargaining power. biggrin.gif
Let's look at the other issues:
Minidsp - can use mine for sure
Carbon fiber? That doesn't add any SPL or extend frequency response to my knowledge. biggrin.gif Throw some duratex on those things and call it a day. NEXT
Clone - Definitely get yours fixed, and I'll see what I can do about adding to my amp collection as a 'backup.' At minimum I'm I'd like to upgrade my 20A dedicated sub amp line to 30A in preparation for whatever comes next.
To give us some extra time to tie up some loose ends, maybe let's shoot for the Saturday after Christmas, the 29th? I think 3-4 solid setups would be perfect and would give us plenty of time for setup, EQ, measurements, and beer drinking of course. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif You guys are of course more than welcome to stay over so no additional costs would be incurred. tongue.gif

Man, all valid arguments except for the carbon fiber comment. The extra ridigity should give me a .5db boost above 50Hz, which as it turns out, means nothing to me!

I'm really doing it more for the experience factor, ya know. If I could just get to a point where I could make my hobby self-sustaining, I would be set!

I'll hit you up tomorrow to see if we can work something out brotha. Thanks for the generous offer.

post #274 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Man! So jealous of all these sub GTG's.

I need to get with MJ and set something up!
post #275 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

I was JUST discussing that with him!!! Haha. I am just a poke too far out for most of the East Coast ones happening north of me...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #276 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Jim, my man... Yeah, I saw a few comments about me being a bit over eager with the remote among other things...haha. I let testosterone get in the way of me properly representing the DIY/LMS crowd, so I feel the need for a bit of redemption myself.

Sounds like a plan to me. So we meet at Andrews again? I'm sure his wife won't mind having her house overrun by a horde of HT geeks again... biggrin.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #277 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You just want to have a GTG because you know your gonna win tongue.gifwink.gif I am thinking sometime around February might be good so we can have a nice selection of subs to destroy my home, I mean have fun biggrin.gif

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #278 of 1010 Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

You just want to have a GTG because you know your gonna win tongue.gifwink.gif I am thinking sometime around February might be good so we can have a nice selection of subs to destroy my home, I mean have fun biggrin.gif
Stop being modest mr. 20 subs! biggrin.gif

Actually I'm hoping we can run ALL the subs at once at reference level and see how that goes. cool.gif
post #279 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I'm hoping we can run ALL the subs at once at reference level and see how that goes. cool.gif

MJ: 20 subs + TBD amount of XXX
+
Edogg: 4 LMS-U
+
All their neighbors with Submersives
=
Ground Zero

Reference down to what, 2Hz maybe?

Sounds like a party I would not want to miss!!! MJ, if you guys are serious and you are looking to gauge more interest, maybe you should make your own thread. Gorilla started his thread like 3 months prior to hosting which allowed Jeff and Mark to add it to their schedules!

With enough advance maybe the JTR van could grace the GTG loaded down with 4 Orbit Shifters. In that case you guys should probably coordinate with the city to have your street cordoned off with medics standing by.

I have callused eardrums and even I just cringed at the thoight...lol

People like us inevitably turn these innocent "scientific" gatherings into all out testosterone driven SPL fests.

post #280 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man, all valid arguments except for the carbon fiber comment. The extra ridigity should give me a .5db boost above 50Hz, which as it turns out, means nothing to me!
I'm really doing it more for the experience factor, ya know. If I could just get to a point where I could make my hobby self-sustaining, I would be set!
I'll hit you up tomorrow to see if we can work something out brotha. Thanks for the generous offer.

It's cool man, just busting your chops on the CF. biggrin.gif It actually does look like a neat project. Hit me up sometime this week and let me know what you can work. tongue.gif
Quote:

Edogg - You would be right at home at one of our GTG's. Take a flight out?? Plenty of notice until end of December. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I was JUST discussing that with him!!! Haha. I am just a poke too far out for most of the East Coast ones happening north of me...

Man, you're only in NC - easy day trip, right? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Sounds like a plan to me. So we meet at Andrews again? I'm sure his wife won't mind having her house overrun by a horde of HT geeks again... biggrin.gif

Jim - you down for end of December? Would like to keep a smaller agenda so we can give each sub/pair it's due diligence.

Let me throw the idea out to the wife this week and see what i can swing. biggrin.gif
post #281 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me throw the idea out to the wife this week and see what i can swing. biggrin.gif

I can tell you right now that 29 Dec is a no-go for me. I'm hosting the UFC fight that weekend. Been planning it for a few months now so no backing down.

post #282 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:

Jim - you down for end of December? Would like to keep a smaller agenda so we can give each sub/pair it's due diligence. Let me throw the idea out to the wife this week and see what i can swing. biggrin.gif

Around the holidays would be a tough one for me. There's always a lot of things to do, making free time a bit scarce.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #283 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

MJ: 20 subs + TBD amount of XXX
+
Edogg: 4 LMS-U
+
All their neighbors with Submersives
=
Ground Zero
Reference down to what, 2Hz maybe?
Sounds like a party I would not want to miss!!! MJ, if you guys are serious and you are looking to gauge more interest, maybe you should make your own thread. Gorilla started his thread like 3 months prior to hosting which allowed Jeff and Mark to add it to their schedules!
With enough advance maybe the JTR van could grace the GTG loaded down with 4 Orbit Shifters. In that case you guys should probably coordinate with the city to have your street cordoned off with medics standing by.
I have callused eardrums and even I just cringed at the thoight...lol
People like us inevitably turn these innocent "scientific" gatherings into all out testosterone driven SPL fests.

Your both trouble makers, that's all I gotta say biggrin.gif

I wish I could make plans that far in advance but my schedule is a moving target, I need a big shotgun to hit it.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #284 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 740
skeet.jpg

Let's get back to some quad 18's, eh? tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #285 of 1010 Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

skeet.jpg

LOL, indeed. First enclosure is assembled minus the outer baffles. I was hoping to get the second enclosure bottom/sides/bracing glued last night, but ran out of time. Tonight or tomorrow night the outer baffes will be glued and second enclosure started. Stay tuned! Hoping to get some type of listening impression on an unpainted box this weekend. tongue.gif

I'm thinking the next batch of enclosures will be singles due to flexibility in placing around the room. I've spec'd out (4) 21x21x20 enclosures in cutlist, but will wait to see how the first couple prototypes sound first. biggrin.gif
post #286 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK - first enclosure is ready for finish preparation. I need to hit the top and side of the back with the flush trim bit this evening to get it cleaned up, then roundovers on the outside baffes, then putty, sand, primer, and paint.

Lesson learned last night - Lining up, gluing, and clamping BOTH outside baffles at the same time was a frustrating task. I wound up just using a couple screws to hold one of them in place while I fussed with the other, but it was still a challenge to get it in the exact position I wanted. I think on the next enclosure I'll just do them one at a time.

I have some pictures I've been attempting to upload but experiencing some difficulties with my image host. More to come.

Baffle with mockup driver 1681k .JPG file
Enclosure waiting to dry 1771k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0874.JPG (1.64 MB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0876.JPG (1.73 MB, 43 views)
post #287 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here we go:

Woofer dropped in to check fitment
img0874en.th.jpg

Box - I had to add a few more clamps, but here you can see the box a bit better. For some reason even after I rotate this picture, it's not saving my changes. frown.gif
img0875wv.th.jpg

img0877g.jpg
post #288 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 157
lookin good my man.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #289 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

lookin good my man.
James

Thank you sir. Hoping to start assembly of #2 this evening.
post #290 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 470
agreed, looks great - looking forward to the finished products and your impressions vs the other subs you have had in your room.
post #291 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

skeet.jpg

You always know were to find the best pictures biggrin.gif

post #292 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work Gorrila!

post #293 of 1010 Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!! Box #1 has had some filling, scraping, and basic sanding done. Box #2 is underway also. biggrin.gif

Things always go easier/better the second time around. Makes me want to do the first box over again, heh.

Small roundover / Holes filled / light sand on first box

A4A4F541-778D-425E-8773-779F7D2F5A00-1363-000001672F65F8B4.jpg
29FD27F6-A9CA-497D-A2A5-0757399B6E16-1363-000001680A0DFB09.jpg

Box #2!

2B14A3E3-D20D-4645-BD12-7FB984C6F641-1363-0000016733ED96FE.jpg
52693062-B94E-47A9-ADB4-4A03334C85C2-1363-00000167181184B3.jpg
post #294 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Box#1 received final roundovers and will get sanding/primer tomorrow with any luck.

Box#2 had the braces and top glued/clamped last night and is now curing. Woot! Listening impressions in a few short days??
post #295 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Dayton RS18 results are public at the DB. Cheers for the weekend! Spread the word. biggrin.gif
post #296 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Dayton RS18 results are public at the DB. Cheers for the weekend! Spread the word. biggrin.gif

Suhhhweeeeeet! Thanks, Josh! smile.gif

Updated the first thread about them with a link to DB.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #297 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 948
once again nice work and write up josh.

looks like the guys got the shorting rings right.

parts express better stock up!

Listen. It's All Good.
post #298 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

<---- Like a kid on Christmas! Once again, you're the man. Can't wait to try out my quads soon. biggrin.gif Midrange is going to be awesome with these!
post #299 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Looks like two of these guys in a dual opposed cab would outgun a single UXL-18 for the same price. These are going to go quick. Are these a deal at $350 each when PE raises the prices to keep up with the demand?
post #300 of 1010 Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Thanks for the writeup. Any plans to do the Stereo Integrity driver in the near future?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Dayton Audio Rss460ho 4 18 Reference Ho Subwoofer 4 Ohm
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page