AVS Forum banner

BassThatHz Theater Build

186K views 1K replies 200 participants last post by  BassThatHz 
#1 ·
Here is what I'm starting with. This has to be beefed up significantly.

For this one, I was thinking of removing all windows and using furring channels on all 5 sides with sonoclips, DD/GG/MDF with a backing of acoustimat rubber VB, Roxul and then R-20. Dricore and padded carpet on the floor.

Single studded 2x4 until spring time, and then if need-be, beefed up to double-studded and/or another DD/GG/MDF and/or with cinderblocks.

Basically, I'm trying to contain 100% of the bass... ideally / if possible

The slab is currently 20x16ft, but I'll be adding another 8ft to the front, and upgrading the 50amp to a 100amp run.

It will have an amp rack, projector hood, AC, wall heaters, track lighting, and a security alarm.

I was thinking of possibly making my own 400lb exterior soundproofed security-door, and then having another inner sliding-glass door; if need be... one of these: http://www.soundproofwindows.com/recording_studio_doors.html

See less See more
#277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23004187

4/0 aluminum is rated at 205A. The panels are rated at 225A each. An 800A service would have parallel 500MCM Cu conductors.

You have 800A available across both ungrounded conductors (200 per leg x 4 legs), but it's referred to as a 400A service.

Still plenty of horsepower. Twice what my house has.

I realize some are aware of this, but what many individuals forget/don't know is conductor size is based upon both the load, but also the length of the run and other factors as well (it's environment). To avoid problematic voltage drop, conductors are increased in size ... sometimes several sizes ... to alleviate the effects.

This can be occur anywhere from feeders, to branch circuits. Oftentimes it's beneficial to upsize the AWG in circuits feeding items such as subwoofer amps, so that the current delivery isn't compromised in any way ... the wire acting as a choke point for stiff voltage delivey of high current.

As stated, the branch breaker can easily pass enormous amounts of current past the normal rated size;

For example, a 20 amp circuit can pass 7-8 times the rated 20amp trip amount, .. for up to a second or more.

It will allow up to 3x the rated amount for up to 10sec or so.

And the same 20amp circuit, can allow up to 1.5-2times the rated amount for a period extending as long as 30 seconds.

So those long runs of 14awg, 12awg feeding one's amplifiers/subwoofers, could very well be a limiting factor.

Thanks

#279 ·
I was messing with my panel yesterday and I swear it has a 200 amp breaker as the main breaker. Seems a little weak. Is that 200 amps at 240 volts, or 200 amps at 120 Volts?

IIRC 200 amps is only ~45,000 total watts. Of course, I have a gas furnace, and a gas water heater. But that doesn't seem like a lot of juice. It's not that big of a house.

#280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23009296

I was messing with my panel yesterday and I swear it has a 200 amp breaker as the main breaker. Seems a little weak. Is that 200 amps at 240 volts, or 200 amps at 120 Volts?

200 amps is 200 amps. If one is sizing wire size in AWG, the voltage doesn't matter, thus,.. 200 amps is 200 amps.

That said, the voltage does come in to play when determining total capability to perform work ... KVA, KW.

Voltage also comes in when determining other aspects like insulation, spacing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23009296

IIRC 200 amps is only ~45,000 total watts. Of course, I have a gas furnace, and a gas water heater. But that doesn't seem like a lot of juice. It's not that big of a house.

A 200 amp single phase service has 48kva total capability, for this discussion we'll just use kw instead of kva.

P=E(I)

(200a)(240v)=48kw

or each leg individually it's still the same

(200a)(120v)+(200a)(120v)=48kw

Your panel is a 200 amp/240 volt single phase panel

#281 ·
Here's some pics of my new 320sqft master bedroom.

Walk in closet and heated 2-person bubble tub.

It's a 5 bedroom house, 3 baths. 3 up, 2 down.

#282 ·
Your thread should be NSFSIU - Not Safe for slow internet users lol. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

#283 ·
Here's 21kW's, maxing out my LMS here.

and 30kW's

Just some vids, I never uploaded.

I wouldn't be surprised if my new room has even more SPL (and hopefully SQ too).

5 windows vs none

open design vs air tight

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23010509

200 amps is 200 amps. If one is sizing wire size in AWG, the voltage doesn't matter, thus,.. 200 amps is 200 amps.

That said, the voltage does come in to play when determining total capability to perform work ... KVA, KW.

Voltage also comes in when determining other aspects like insulation, spacing, etc.

A 200 amp single phase service has 48kva total capability, for this discussion we'll just use kw instead of kva.

P=E(I)

(200a)(240v)=48kw

or each leg individually it's still the same

(200a)(120v)+(200a)(120v)=48kw

Your panel is a 200 amp/240 volt single phase panel

Yeah, I said 45kW because I"m not sure if I have 120V actual, I think last time I checked I'm getting 113 Volts. Wonder if I'll have to get my panel "expanded" if I want to add a 30 amp service to my basement theater area build? They only put like 3 outlets in the basement and 3 single bulb fixtures. Stupid.

ETA: back on topic, master bedroom looks pretty sweet. 320 square feet is a nice size, roughly 16 x 20. I think our Master is 14 x 15 and I've always wanted just a little bit more.

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/240#post_23003873

Status Update: Bought 1300sqft of fabric today. Hopefully it is enough to cover it

I bought it at a thrift store for 15cents a square foot, an amazing deal.

It's amazing what you can find in such places.
"Walk up to the club like, what up, I got a big c@%k!

I'm so pumped about some s#!t from the thrift shop"

#287 ·

Quote:

I was messing with my panel yesterday and I swear it has a 200 amp breaker as the main breaker. Seems a little weak.
I've got only a 100amp or maybe 120amp line in my house and the "main panel" is actually a sub panel. The main breaker for the panel is below the meter outside. Anybody can turn off anybody's power whenever they want and most people don't even know that there's a breaker under the meter so they'll end up calling the electric company and waiting for something that may just be a prank. Fortunately, there was one spot left on my panel to where I was able to add a dedicated 20a breaker for my sub amp that I ran with 10 gauge cable. Unfortunately, it's not really dedicated as it powers my HTPC, Rotel amp, Processor, and a few other things but it's better than being on the same line with all of my other outlets. I'm thinking about replacing the panel with one that has more spots for breakers but am not sure if it's something that i'm up to the task of doing myself.

BTW, I live in an 800 square foot condo which used to be apartments.

#291 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23024558

I think you just made a watch list or three

My profile is already in the FBI, DHS, and CSIS databases, has been for years now. I signed a document saying that they can\will have my profile in their databases.

They have biometric scans of my body parts on file, they know every place I've ever lived in, every person I've ever worked for, and for how much, and for how long. and that's not all.

They have all of this stored inside Iron Mountain. I know this because they told me so.

#293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23023874

I'm smack between a (total) potential of 47kV's worth of transformers at a distance of 40ft each side (left+right).

47kv's worth?

I'm not a lineman, or ever work for a power company, but what you're looking at is a 37.5 kva single phase transformer in that fourth image. If all the pics are taken from your property (which is what it appears), you're fed off the 37.5kva transformer, which is fed from a single leg of 7200v (14.4kv phase to phase). The pole to the right appears to have three phase set of 10kva transformers, and it looks like they're not connected to you in any way. I may be wrong, and it's tough to see exactly, but it appears as if there's a raceway going down the back side of the pole, and they're likely feeding it in addition to the remaining loads to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23023874

As you can see, they split the line, it isn't shared to the right side of my right side. (Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though. 20kV sitting right there that I can't get to.)

As I stated, it's tough really determining the lines on the right hand pole, but I see no connection to you.

The high voltage lines are likely 7.2kv/14.4kv, that is 7.2kv each, and phase to phase that's 14.4kv. The 10 rating you see on the right side transformers (and the 37 on the left) is the kva rating, .. or total capability in kilo-volt-amps. So you, and whomever else shares that load side lateral feed running across the bottom ... pole to pole, you all are in parallel and share that feed. In open air, the ampacity is higher. The capabilities we typically associate with grouped wiring in cable assemblies, or in conduit etc, are different. Thus POCOs can thru-put more current through a given size wire than typical residential code provides for in homes.

Quote:

NOW... let's see if I can blow them up.

I can see everyone's lights dimming to the beat of a big fat, heavily EQ'd kick drum, ... your HT out-building just pulsing structurally to every thump

Thanks for sharing, and best of luck

#294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/240_80#post_23011785

Here's 21kW's, maxing out my LMS here.

I wouldn't be surprised if my new room has even more SPL (and hopefully SQ too).

5 windows vs none

open design vs air tight

Never thought I'd see an Enya bassfest.

#295 ·
I don't understand how you figure your total watts? You say 21KW but that for sure would blow up that sub. You can 100KW available but you won't use that much, I bet the most you will use is closer to 10Kw and that is with everything. I don't even use 6KW(subs) to reach 130 dBs at the LP.

#296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23027262

I don't understand how you figure your total watts? You say 21KW but that for sure would blow up that sub. You can 100KW available but you won't use that much, I bet the most you will use is closer to 10Kw and that is with everything. I don't even use 6KW(subs) to reach 130 dBs at the LP.

It's peak potential, not measured consumption.

The last time I measured the legs (old house) it was about ~47amps at 120v of real load on the legs. Which is probably just under 5000watts RMS going to the coils in 2-ch music mode + subs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23026788

where do you live , it looks beautiful.............

I live between the North West Cascades and the Rockies, about 150miles in land from the Pacific Ocean.

#297 ·
Ok I'm officially broke. I've spent $150,000 in cash over last 4 months buying/building all this worldly junk... and loving every minute of it.

and the bills just keep stacking up higher, although their pace is slowing down, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, probably another 12k should cover it.

Oh well, at least I'm supporting the economy, I guess.

But whenever I find myself lost, I just simply recall this idiot and the 6 million dollars he has completely wasted on his butt-ugly system; and then I sleep much better at night, knowing that money is no substitute for brains. LOL

The solution, is clearly, to add more items, until it becomes the goodererest. LOL

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23037429

Ok I'm officially broke. I've spent $150,000 in cash over last 4 months buying/building all this worldly junk... and loving every minute of it.

and the bills just keep stacking up higher, although their pace is slowing down, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, probably another 12k should cover it.

Oh well, at least I'm supporting the economy, I guess.

But whenever I find myself lost, I just simply recall this idiot and the 6 million dollars he has completely wasted on his butt-ugly system; and then I sleep much better at night, knowing that money is no substitute for brains. LOL

The solution, is clearly, to add more items, until it becomes the goodererest. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23037474

is it

my eye or is the subwoofer in the picture not even connected?

No, what are you talking about? Those are the new, you can't see them ultimate transparency king of cables.
Ha ha, good eye, saw that one before, but didn't recognize that there was no wire going to the sub.

#301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1436049/bassthathz-theater-build/270#post_23037474

is it my eye or is the subwoofer in the picture not even connected?
Exactly! It's totally unuseable as configured. Look closely at the amplifiers, there isn't a single power wire, speaker wire or interconnect wire to any of the 16 MC-2102 200watt tube amps he has there, nor speakers.

It's a total prep-shot for the news/tv.

There is a reason why people build amplification closets:
  • Heat management
  • Power management
  • Interconnect distance minimization
  • Line Noise minimization
  • Fan Noise minimization

Few people want to sit in the middle of a rats nest of cables, fans, amps and speakers. (Well, most people anyway.
)

From what I can see, there is roughly $100k in amplification in that room (factoring in a bulk discount). Looks like he has about 7200watts in there.

So where did the rest of the money go I wonder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.