BassThatHz Theater Build - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 747 Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I do tech support at a local ISP and have heard similar stories from a few different customers. None of them did anything quite like what you describe, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 747 Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Bass... Mad respect man.

That was an awesome story!

Made my day. No...my month! You get the first thumbs up I've ever taken the time to give anyone on AVS...lol
post #633 of 747 Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Awesome! Take down the cybercriminals! Big thumbs up.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #634 of 747 Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Someone tried to hack my computer today. LOL, you will LOVE this story!

Some random number called me and said they were from "Microsoft" and said my computer had "viruses on it" and they wanted to help me "remove" them.
They asked me to go to some website and download/install an app.
I pretended to be a dummy and played along, apparently they had me install a bi-directional AES encrypted RD agent off a website.

I have to hand it to them, they were smarter than I guessed they would be...
So my computer is totally poached right?

Ah... but they made one fatal mistake... they had NO CLUE of the level of computer skills that I possess. wink.gif

This whole time I was installing their software on a false virtual machine, with network packet sniffing software activated, behind 5 firewalls, and a host-level VPN tunnel linked in a foreign country.
(and a couple other things I could tell you about, but would then have to.)

So long story short, not only was I able to reverse their phone number back to their VOIP carrier, I know the ISP carrier of their internet proxy server, and the business address of the agent software they had me install (which is a PayPal-enabled ecom business service linking back to their bank account) and I have the ID of that session, and I just submitted all of that info to the FBI.

But meanwhile, they don't even have ONE SHRED of intel about the very system & network that they were "trying" to gain access to.

Oh... and before I ended the session with them...
I informed them that they just attempted to breach into the National Security Administration network; I then listened to the sound of them sharding in their pants. Which they did. biggrin.gif

I will see to your Microsoft, and raise you several FBI agents. biggrin.gif
PWNED
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Lol^

Epic.
michael hurd likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #635 of 747 Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Here's "36 - Break Da Law" on 33kW

Got 4.2kW going to each B&W. I could blow them if I wanted to wink.gif

This is the rare time you will see the iTech reach the -10db lights.

I had to stop the song before the clone and itech fried my LMS's. The coils were getting hot, just that quickly.

Just about ready to start the 3rd layer of soundproofing; but that's a ways out yet...
post #636 of 747 Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 267
It seems quite fitting for you smile.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #637 of 747 Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shipment #4 has arrived. YAY, now I can put my HTPC into my rack closet.

One step closer.

and they both work, typing and clicking this to you, via them.

I never knew APC made such things!
post #638 of 747 Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some new toys arrived today.
I'll have to connect everything up and see how it all works...
post #639 of 747 Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Houston we have a problem. It doesn't work!
It works as-in "it turns on and signals come out of the ports", it just doesn't do what it is made for... which is 2x4 HDMI matrixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Guess I should have paid more money for something fancier!

Also, it's the brightest thing in my rack and puts a blue glow on the screen from a distance of 17 feet away!!!!!!!!!
It actually burns my eyes to look at it at any distance.

I mean, it sort of works. It passes everything fine out of HDMI 1, but HDMI 2 will only lock on to the HTPC signal.

It really just seems to be a 1x4 matrixer (that sometimes might work beyond the 1x4) redface.gif

To be fair, I'm not sure which of the 7 HDMI devices is causing the problem, any of the 40+ permutations.
All I know is that everything works when connected directly without this thing in the path matrixing the universe together.

Oh well, this at least reduces the number of cables I have to swap, from 8 connections down to just 2. frown.gif LOL? (I was hoping for zero.)

The good news is that it doesn't degrade the signal! cool.gif

I'm sure if you power cycled it and all devices enough times it would probably do it all, but DAMN!
HDMI is the dumbest technology I have ever seen invented, yet! Flippin' HDMI! mad.gif
post #640 of 747 Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Not sure how deep you want to get into this, but thee little guys help with a lot of HDMI/EDID issues

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Technologies-AT-HDSync-HDMI-EDID-Recorder-Writer-with-Serial-Control.html
post #641 of 747 Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Bass... Mad respect man.

That was an awesome story!

Made my day. No...my month! You get the first thumbs up I've ever taken the time to give anyone on AVS...lol

This. Hahaha, epic stuff Hertz. tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #642 of 747 Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Purchased the XSP-1 today (AGAIN).

It was on sale (15% off). Sale ends this weekend so...

Should be here within ~1.5weeks.

I find the Oppo 105 doesn't get loud enough, not enough Vout.

The only thing it gains me is a volume knob I can twist with my hand rather than a a remote-only-digital-volume knob .

It also gets me more voltage outputl. It outputs 15v RMS instead of 2v for RCA.
XLR I'm not sure what it outputs but probably more than 4V RMS though.

It's also nice having an analog RCA to XLR converter; the Oppo 105 only has digital inputs. This gets me a Hi-Fi one.

Eventually I want all 7.1 to output via XLR, from one box of a Hi-Fi nature.
Right now it takes 2 boxes just to do 2.1 in XLR.
post #643 of 747 Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Ok, here's the first-draft of the floor plans. This is if I extend the dimensions to 20x24ft and make the walls 11 inches thick.

What program was this done in?
post #644 of 747 Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sketchup ?
post #645 of 747 Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sure looks like it.
post #646 of 747 Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #647 of 747 Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried the 105 as a headphone amp for the first time today.
Best headphone power I have tried to date, which is no dedicated headphone amps just various soundcards.
My B&W's sound better than my Sennheiser headphones do on the same DAC power in nearly every way, can't listen for more than 5 minutes before getting offended. Maybe I should waste my money on HD800's... or maybe not(?) wink.gif
post #648 of 747 Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It arrives on the 7th. I'm going to try active filtering on my tweeters using the XSP-1 as well, forgot to mention that.
Unfortunately there is no good way to bypass the B&W's HF filter too, so it will still be stacked, but at least the load on the clone amp will be reduced not having to make LF frequencies for the HF tweeter network to then dispose of as heat.
post #649 of 747 Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The XSP-1 has arrived. It sounds as good as the 105. (I can't tell the difference.) and it sounded good right out of the box,... unlike the 105.
Haven't tested it's 3hz response yet, but charts show it is -0db at 5hz so I ain't too worried because that's all I require.

I'm so glad it didn't degrade the sound quality, now I have a volume knob I can touch. wink.gif

Had to rewire all xlr cables, and move two amps.

post #650 of 747 Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 342
You should give the Senn 800's a try! I had a chance to check them out about 6 months ago and bought them on the spot. I've powered them with all sorts of different amp combos and as of now, I like my woo WA6-SE the best. and I also like my Creative ZxR soundcard. Pretty decent!
Did you see the sales going on since Emotiva bought Sherbourn? They were having a fire sale on everything Sherbourn. there is still some decent stuff left but the big PA7-350's (XPR-7) are gone.. almost 2K off! I also got a PRE-1 to try out. I can't even use any of it but man a good deal is a good deal. Maybe there is something left that interests you.

http://www.sherbourn.com/

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #651 of 747 Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 101
So you got the XSP-1 for audio for 2 channel listening?

Just confused was all. Was looking at getting a preamp in the future and looked at so many I am lost again.
post #652 of 747 Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

You should give the Senn 800's a try! I had a chance to check them out about 6 months ago and bought them on the spot. I've powered them with all sorts of different amp combos and as of now, I like my woo WA6-SE the best. and I also like my Creative ZxR soundcard. Pretty decent!
Did you see the sales going on since Emotiva bought Sherbourn? They were having a fire sale on everything Sherbourn. there is still some decent stuff left but the big PA7-350's (XPR-7) are gone.. almost 2K off! I also got a PRE-1 to try out. I can't even use any of it but man a good deal is a good deal. Maybe there is something left that interests you.

http://www.sherbourn.com/

I cried a little missing the 7x350 frown.gif Still Considering the 150x7 though. I'll probably think about it too much and miss that as well.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #653 of 747 Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I informed them that they just attempted to breach into the National Security Administration network; I then listened to the sound of them sharding in their pants. Which they did. biggrin.gif

I will see to your Microsoft, and raise you several FBI agents. biggrin.gif
PWNED

Sorry I'm late to this party but I have some experience with this one.

Here's how the scam works.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/were-windows-anatomy-cold-calling-scam-6C10631331
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-guy-get-mad-and-trash-pc/
They have a very convincing script and actually identify themselves as Microsoft or a Microsoft partner. MANY people are fooled, including my own brother, who is not an idiot but also not a computer guy.

This scam has been going on for several years now, Microsoft knows all about it, in fact it originated from one of Microsoft's actual partners.
http://www.hyphenet.com/blog/microsoft-gold-partner-busted-for-running-telephone-scams/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/230431/Microsoft_Warns_of_Internet_Phone_Scam.html

The BBB knows all about it.
http://www.bbb.org/blog/2013/07/bbb-alerts-residents-to-microsoft-tech-support-scam/
So does the FBI, FTC, CRTC and all the other acronyms. They have phone numbers, IP addresses, email addresses and everything they could possibly need yet the scam continues. In fact it's getting worse. A couple months ago I was getting this call twice a week (I'm in Canada) from different call centers (but all with Indian accents). The problem is the the script is SO effective that the scam is being adopted by more and more call centers.

Isn't anyone getting busted? Well... kind of but not really.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/12/how-windows-tech-support-scammers-walked-right-into-a-trap-set-by-the-feds/2/
Despite the fact that this scam is so well known and the hour long investigative journalism shows have done features tracking down the perpetrators and actually handing the info over to the authorities, there isn't much being done. In the extremely unlikely event that these cases ever see the inside of a courtroom it is usually a civil case, not a criminal charge due to problems with international jurisdiction.

In other words, I don't think anyone will be PWNED by you or the FBI and I seriously doubt they messed their pants. They know very well nothing is going to happen. Do a quick search for the Microsoft phone scam and you will see hundreds( if not thousands) of articles. Not many (if any) arrests.

Sorry about the OT (since this topic was brought up so long ago) but this is a serious issue that everyone should be aware of. It was limited to a handful of countries (Australia, Canada, etc) in the past but it sounds like it's leaking into the US now too.
halo71 and andyc56 like this.
post #654 of 747 Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I tried some extreme SPL with the XSP-1, it's actually an improvement.
I believe this is because it has enough voltage output headroom to fully saturate the clone amps (or any pro amp) with twice the power to spare, whereas I had the 105 completely maxed out at 100 and still wanted more....

I was able to tickle the -4db lights out of 4200watts, with a pre-amp Active 100hz HF filter applied to my tops, that's a lot of mid and tweeter power. It's amazing how close to clipping you can get!!!! eek.gif

Now it's time to hook up those 109db/w SEOS's biggrin.gif LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

So you got the XSP-1 for audio for 2 channel listening?
Just confused was all. Was looking at getting a preamp in the future and looked at so many I am lost again.

Correct. You also have to use it for movie-mode, but that's an unintended side-effect of having it hooked to your mains.
post #655 of 747 Old 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OMG Moment!

I had to create a spreadsheet to manage my interconnects and device upgrades, because it was too much for me to fit all of this inside my head anymore! eek.gif
Can you believe it?

Current Config State:
5.2 XLR/RCA mix, 29.8kW
2ch Active, 3ch Passive, 8 Active Subwoofers
14 XLR Cables, 3 RCA cables

Device in XLR in interconnect out XLR out interconnect
XTi4k1 1 DCX1 (L Low) 1 IT8k (L Low)
XTi4k2 1 DCX2 (R Low) 1 IT8k (R Low)
FP10k1 4 A DCX1 (A, L High), B DCX1 (B, Sub FL), C DCX1 (C, R High), D DCX1 (D, Sub FR) N/A N/A
ICE1k1 0 Oppo105 (C) N/A N/A
ICE1k2 0 Oppo105 (SR & SL) N/A N/A
IT8k 2 XTi4k1 (L Low), XTik2 (R Low) N/A N/A
EP4k 2 DCX2 (Sub FR), DCX2 (Sub FL) N/A N/A
DCX1 2 A XSP1 (L), B XSP1 (R ), C (Empty) 6 A FP10k1 (A, L High), B FP10k1 (B, Sub L), C FP10k1 (C, R High), D FP10k1 (D, Sub R), E EP4k (Sub R), F EP4k (Sub L)
XSP1 2 Oppo105 (L & R) 4 XTi4k1 (L), XTi4k2 (R ), DCX1 (L), DCX1 (R )
Oppo105 N/A HTPC (USB) 2 (8) XSP1 (L), XSP1 (R ), ICE1k1(C ), ICE1k2 (SL), ICE1k2(SR)

Transitional Config: 26 XLR Cables
+$1700
5.3 Full XLR, 35.2kW
3ch Bi-Amp Active, 2ch Passive, 8 Active Stereo Subwoofers
26 XLR Cables

XTi4k1 1 DCX1 (L Low) 1 IT8k (L Low)
XTi4k2 1 DCX2 (R Low) 1 IT8k (R Low)
FP10k1 4 A DCX1 (L High), B DCX1 (R High), DCX1 (C High), D DCX1 (C Low) N/A N/A
FP10k2 4 A ClnBox2 (SL), B ClnBox2 (SR), C DCX2(C LFE) , D DCX2(D LFE) N/A N/A
IT8k 2 XTi4k1 (L Low), XTik2 (R Low) N/A N/A
DCX1 3 A XSP1 (L), B XSP1 (R), C ClnBox1 (C ) 6 A FP10k1 (A, L High), B XTi4k1 (L Low), C FP10k1 (B, R High), D XTi4k2 (R Low), E FP10k1 (C, C High), F FP10k1 (D, C Low)
DCX2 3 A XSP1 (Sub L), B XSP1 (Sub R), C ClnBox1 (SW) 6 A EP4k (Sub FR), B EP4k (Sub FL), C (FP10k2 C SW), D (FP10k2 D SW)
ClnBox1 2 Oppo105 (SW), Oppo105 (C) 2 DCX2 (SW), DCX1 (C, C)
ClnBox2 2 Oppo105 (SL & SR) 2 FP10k2 (A & B)
XSP1 2 Oppo105 (L & R) 4 DCX1 A(L), DCX1 B (R ), DCX2 (Sub L), DCX2 (Sub R)
Oppo105 N/A HTPC (USB) 2 (8) XSP1 (L), XSP1 (R ), ClnBox1(C ), ClnBox1 (SW), ClnBox2 (SL), ClnBox2(SR)

Future State:
+$4000
7.3 XLR, Full clone power 53.6kW
3ch Bi-Amp Active, 4ch Passive, 10 Tri-Channel Active Subwoofers
35 XLR Cables

XTi4k1 1 DCX1 (L Low) N/A N/A
XTi4k2 1 DCX2 (R Low) N/A N/A
FP10k1 4 A DCX1 (L High), B DCX1 (R High), DCX1 (C High), D DCX1 (C Low) N/A N/A
FP10k2 4 A ClnBox2 (SL), B ClnBox2 (SR), C ClnBox3 (RL), D ClnBox3 (RR) N/A N/A
FP14k1 2 DCX3 (A), DCX3(B) N/A N/A
FP14k2 2 DCX3 (C), DCX3(D) N/A N/A
FP14k3 2 DCX3 (E), DCX3(F) N/A N/A
DCX1 3 A XSP1 (L), B XSP1 (R), C ClnBox1 (C ) 6 A FP10k1 (A, L High), B XTi4k1 (L Low), C FP10k1 (B, R High), D XTi4k2 (R Low), E FP10k1 (C, C High), F FP10k1 (D, C Low)
DCX2 3 A XSP1 (Sub L), B XSP1 (Sub R), C ClnBox1 (SW) 6 A DCX3 (A), B DCX3 (B), C DCX3 (C ), D EP4k (Sub FR), E EP4k (Sub FL)
DCX3 3 DCX2 (A), DCX2(B), DCX2 (C ) 6 A FP14k1 (LFE), B FP14k1 (LFE), C FP14k2 (LFE), D FP14k2 (LFE), E FP14k3 (LFE), F FP14k3 (LFE)
ClnBox1 2 Oppo105 (SW), Oppo105 (C) 2 DCX2 (SW), DCX1 (C, C)
ClnBox2 2 Oppo105 (SL & SR) 2 FP10k2 (A & B)
ClnBox3 2 Oppo105 (RL &RR) 2 FP10k2 (C & D)
XSP1 2 Oppo105 (L & R) 4 DCX1 A(L), DCX1 B (R ), DCX2 (Sub L), DCX2 (Sub R)
Oppo105 N/A HTPC (USB) 2 (8) XSP1 (L), XSP1 (R ), ClnBox1(C ), ClnBox1 (SW), ClnBox2 (SL), ClnBox2(SR), ClnBox3(RL), ClnBox3 (RR)
post #656 of 747 Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Your charts seem harder than reality to me. It would be more effort to do the chart and follow it along than just figure out and do it in real life. I would never bother with such a thing; I am not that organized.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #657 of 747 Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Your charts seem harder than reality to me. It would be more effort to do the chart and follow it along than just figure out and do it in real life. I would never bother with such a thing; I am not that organized.

When you start having a whole bunch of connections, you just about have to write something out, or you will end up leaving some out or running it wrong. I do the same thing with my system.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #658 of 747 Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Must be a difference in personality type

-

post #659 of 747 Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How would you do that when you have 16 devices, and just three of them having 9 interconnections each... and what about the other 13 devices? wink.gif
Easier said than done.

Also, when a mistake would cost you anywhere from $50 to $400.

I'm also a software developer, so I'm accustomed to managing millions of rows and thousands of fields and variables. wink.gif
post #660 of 747 Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Have you thought about getting the XMC-1 when it comes out?

I dont know much about the Emotiva lineup but was looking at that device and was astounded by the features it has. I am not able to try out all the latest and greatest AVR's so I would just have to take a gamble. But wanted to know what you thought. PLUS I would only use this AVR for HT. Would be nice to have another setup for 2 channel listening but this will do for now.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs