BassThatHz Theater Build - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #811 of 948 Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
The best stuff to prevent finger prints is TopCoat http://ducora.com/SHOPSITE/page2.html

I use it on cars (exterior and interior), appliances, etc... The stuff is amazing...
Mine must have a layer of tin underneath cause magnets stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 948 Old 08-29-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Mine must have a layer of tin underneath cause magnets stick.
Tin is barely magnetic. It so weak that it might as well not be magnetic for all intents and purposes. If magnets stick to your "stainless steel" appliances they're not stainless steel.
post #813 of 948 Old 08-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
If magnets stick to your "stainless steel" appliances they're not stainless steel.
Bass' stainless steel appliances must be ferritic stainless steel.
post #814 of 948 Old 08-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I tried numerous SS polishes. Seems I always had water streaks or something to make it discolored. I didn't have much confidence in a suggestion from my sister-in-law. Wiped it down with olive oil. Problem solved. Unfortunately that's the only thing she's ever been helpful with.
post #815 of 948 Old 08-29-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cold working austenetic SS can cause it to become slightly magnetic. Or they used a different SS microstructure as Johnson636 suggested
post #816 of 948 Old 09-30-2015, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a new TV for the living room. Curved 4k 65".

My previous one was a 720P 65" plasma from 2004. It's been LONG overdue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12345.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	969953  
Patzig and AV Hack like this.
post #817 of 948 Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice!
post #818 of 948 Old 10-02-2015, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's passive 3D. Never tried that outside of a movie theater, but I must say "for a tv" it does pretty good 3D.
Better than the active shutter I have on my 1080P projector, hate those heavy glassess and flicker!!!
post #819 of 948 Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been working the Point of Sale system at work and handling various peoples bank and credit cards and I've noticed a new change to the Visa logo.
I have to recognize cards because I have to press the correct buttons for accounting purposes, so I notice these sorts of things.

The new logo is now either all-blue or all-white text-only it seems.
No more box or bars, and no more yellow anywhere to be found, not even a yellow swoosh anymore!

At first I just thought it was the local banks doing something silly, but after doing a google image search and visting visa.com I found that it was more than just local.

Here is what the newly issued cards look like as of 2015 and beyond.
I just got my visa reissued this week because my old one was wore out, and it too is black and white and they are doing mixed case now (no all-caps no more, for the most part it seems...)

If you ask me, I think the monkeys should just stop changing the damn logo! It would make all of our lives that much easier!
The old one was MUCH easier to spot. Bars = Visa, Circles = MC, AmEx = text. You could see it from across the room!!! ( What is visa THINKING!!! )

Interdasting...

The meme seemed to fit... LOL!

Rant Deactivated!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gfds1.jpg
Views:	1338
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1006041   Click image for larger version

Name:	change.png
Views:	1327
Size:	747.5 KB
ID:	1006049  
Shreds likes this.
post #820 of 948 Old 10-20-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agreed!
post #821 of 948 Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Potentially good news... with even the slightest amount of luck I could be getting a 1/3rd of a million dollars cash in the next 5 months here.

Which could mean buying another house and making a BIGGER and MORE bad-a$$ theater. (The one I wanted to make originally...)

It's all very theoretical at the moment, I'm also very pessimistic so to me none of it exists until the money is in my hands (Show me the money!)

It would also depend on me being able to sell this place; or at least rent it out for like $2300 a month so that it pays for itself.

Or I could just sit on the money for a few years and play it safe, beefy up the house and lock-in on a 10 year fixed rate while the economy is low and make some huge down payments before it goes higher-rate.

This theater is good, but it was never really was my ideal one.
Decisions... Decisions...
post #822 of 948 Old 11-28-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Potentially good news... with even the slightest amount of luck I could be getting a 1/3rd of a million dollars cash in the next 5 months here.

Good luck BTH. Hope it works out for you.
post #823 of 948 Old 11-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Daaayamm... Tell us how to make those dolla's!
post #824 of 948 Old 11-28-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Aren't 30yr rates still super low? Imo, their is no need to take a risk, just pay your 30 like a 10yr. If hard times come, hope they don't but you never know, it's easier to make the lower 30yr payment.
post #825 of 948 Old 11-28-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 509
redo the theater and hide all those damn boxes lol

then sit on the money
kaiforce likes this.

That's not science! - Cyborg

My Theater Build

Items for Sale:
Falcon Vision Horizon 120" AT Screen $750
post #826 of 948 Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Daaayamm... Tell us how to make those dolla's!
I'm the owner of a company that sells products and services geared to mostly the top 25%ers of the 1st world-ers.
The type of people that come in and drop 40-100k and don't think anything about it... (there are some very rich clients.)
The sad part is that I can't even afford our own products (I want one though!), but I don't tell them that...

Prior to that I worked for the government; since it was a 24/7/365 sensitive compartmented information facility I also required a Restricted security clearance with Special-Access SCI constraints, in any case... one of the highest/higher non-MIL/non-LEA clearances that get issued to civilians.

The level is defined based on the risk of disclosure of the protected information, which in this case would be:
Mass public mistrust and mass financial loss of an elected government body. (A big leak sounds pretty grave... and it would be.)
It sounds like I might do jail-time if I leaked lists snowden-style (ya think?)

In addition to that, what I was doing was/is considered a controlled-activity, which is government-speak for illegal, which means: that if a normal unauthorized person attempted to do what I was doing (regardless of location or status), they would be arrested and criminally charged.
Heck even if they were a police officer they'd be arrested, even if they were a political leader with YankeeWhite clearance they'd be arrested on site etc etc.
Simply because: they don't have the needed authorization. In fact, they would be the last people on earth to be authorized simply because: they just don't NEED it to perform their JOB. Simple as that. That is the whole point of special-access. (Compartmentalization of information and duties!)

It would be the military-equivalent as if a solider started unloading shells on civilians, they simply aren't Authorized to do that stuff!
Nothing to do with their clearance level at all... Authorization and Clearance are two separate things! (Many people don't get that until you explain it.)

and once they did get out of prison they would never find another job willing to take them in, as it
is considered societally-unethical to perform a controlled-activity without authorization/governance from the same government who would otherwise arrest you for doing it. (It almost sounds like circular logic.)

Only a handful of people are issued this particular role (roughly 0.0000023% of civilians... if that.)
There is good reasons why it is so low/rare:
1) The less people involved, the better. Understandably.
2) You need the necessary education / skills they desire.
3) You need a clean background; no criminal records existing or pending in the FBI/CIA and RCMP/CSIS databases (at a minimum). Do you pay your taxes? Bankruptcies? Bad Credit History? If you have ever lived or visited a questionable country, even once, that alone could be reason-enough to reject you from consideration.
4) They look for honesty and discretion, and how easily you succumb to external influences / pressures. To see if you'll break, to see if you'll leak, to see if you'll mishandle tasks.
5) Just be in the right place at the right time when they are looking for shoes to fill... (this one is beyond your control.)
6) They monitor every move you make when on-site (at a minimum.) It doesn't just end with the interview process! It's continuous...
Add all those things together and that would reject a LOT of people from even being considered for Clearance+SA or the job/role.
Out of those that do qualify, they only select the most-suitable candidate too. (Durr! of course they would... why settle for 2nd place.)

I had a co-worker who couldn't handle his own unethicalness, and he killed himself. The government should really be FAR more careful in their screening/selection process of employees for this place, mental evaluations should be required, but apparently they aren't...

If you ask me, the government is playing with fire here. People are getting hurt, the government should really stop doing what they are doing, it's not very ethical (and they know it!)

Not only that, but the compartmentalization and isolation can get to you after a while. Not everyone is mentally-capable of being able/willing to be locked inside a hyper-secure facility, and still maintain their sanity over months, years, decades...

Add the two together and it is just a bad combo for some people (IMO at least, but what do I know...)

Pays well (that's how I built my theater), but we were treated worse than toilet cleaners there; place suffers from too many low-IQ's and sociopaths running things (a bad combo).
I was young and stupid when I chose that path... (DOH!)
After ten years of that, I threw in the towel.
[I realized I just said a whole lot, without really saying anything... LOL by design!]

I'm glad I did because now I get 7 months of paid vacation a year, and I set my own damn work schedule / pay rate... and I can sleep with myself at night.

Anyhow... thanks for the ear at least.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 12-01-2015 at 01:29 AM.
post #827 of 948 Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I can somewhat understand what you are saying. I have a close friend that is Marine vet, he was in the 1st Gulf war 1990/91.
He shared that as a Marine soldier there, he had to take lives. Not one or two. But many. It was the enemy and he was doing his job. But seeing and doing what he went through sticks with you, and takes a strong mind to return to a state of normalcy after his tours were done.
He doesn't talk about it, and lives a civilian, normal family life now.

I didn't serve, and am eternally grateful what those that have done for us. But on the other hand I have lived a fairly simple life and am grateful I haven't had to see many things that I have to unsee, things that would keep people up at night or give nightmares.

Good for you that you moved on and can thrive.

SI HST-18 DIY Subwoofer / Sony VPLHW40ES / Onkyo TX-NR636 /
post #828 of 948 Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post
I can somewhat understand what you are saying. I have a close friend that is Marine vet, he was in the 1st Gulf war 1990/91.
He shared that as a Marine soldier there, he had to take lives. Not one or two. But many. It was the enemy and he was doing his job. But seeing and doing what he went through sticks with you, and takes a strong mind to return to a state of normalcy after his tours were done.
He doesn't talk about it, and lives a civilian, normal family life now.

I didn't serve, and am eternally grateful what those that have done for us. But on the other hand I have lived a fairly simple life and am grateful I haven't had to see many things that I have to unsee, things that would keep people up at night or give nightmares.

Good for you that you moved on and can thrive.
I wasn't in any armed service overseas, I didn't kill anyone (but it WAS about only 2 notches down from that... IMO at least.)
I could only imagine how bad a Seal or Marine or even drone-pilot must have it.
I was just a public worker, but what really "got to me" is that we weren't doing things to terrorists or even bad-guys,
we were/they-still-are doing ungood things to our own good-people from the inside. IMO that is ALMOST worse or as-bad-as killing bad guys overseas.
Let's just say I've had more than one sleepless night...

I've read the precise criminal code too, and they wrote the law with a conditional clause in it: "Prohibited, without authorization." That allows them to legally "sneek" conditional exceptions in with the if-authorized, giving the conducting person essentially a lawful type of amnesty if you will...
Really it should be "Prohibited." end of sentence (at least IMO...)

Essentially what we were doing there was/and-still-is causing the economy to slowly financially collapse.
The kicker is, that this entire program is publicly-disclosed and not only that, publicly-accepted or brainwashed as normal and good for them. Which makes me even more afraid for this human race when you zoom out and look at us in totality... this will not end well for the commoners.

I'd say it is closer in relationship to that of an Armageddon silo operator. He gets the job of sitting there waiting for the phone call, then he pokes the button; and they practice this.
When his provisions run out, he comes up to the surface and breathes in the green-glowing-air just like the rest of us have. Possibly the weirdest job to have.
However, they sleep well because they never actually do it for REAL. Unlike Marines etc etc etc.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 11-30-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #829 of 948 Old 12-13-2015, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I've decided to sue the government for damages.
We will see where this goes...

I already know they are as greedy as the Grinch, all take take take; no give.
Not expecting to get far with them; in fact I'm expecting the old deny-and-reject scheme from them, so predictable...

The same government that already gave me $50k worth of hush money.

As of this week, they were willing to give me an additional $50k worth of hush money to "settle out of court", not nearly enough to cover the damages.
See you in court Grinch... consider it my way of saying: Merry Christmas!

I might walk away 100% empty-handed as a result of this court action, if the judge doesn't side with me on it, but I'm willing to take the chance.
Actually, if the court decides against me I could owe THEM money here. Whatever man... Let's dance!
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #830 of 948 Old 12-18-2015, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OMG, I just noticed that someone from the government facility that I worked at posted a high res picture of their access card on the internet. How stupid are they? (As dumb as Bob Lazar apparently. LOL!)
I just reported him to security. He violated a government issued and signed security oath. OH SNAP!
I didn't want to be a whistle-blower/rat but I felt obligated to call it in, now he is gonna get in BIG trouble in a few hours from now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b7e528a9adc2.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1127122  
post #831 of 948 Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Even if it was just a mistake, which it probably was, that's a hugely stupid mistake. I know in the military we're prohibited by regulation to make copies of our ID/CAC cards. You did the right thing, and any consequences he bears are entirely on him.

Also, your picture reminds me of the line from Blazing Saddles when they hit a toll booth, "Someone's gotta go back and get a ****load of dimes!"
post #832 of 948 Old 12-20-2015, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just in case you think I'm making this all up. Picture or it never happened!

Email:

Auto reply:

It happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post
Even if it was just a mistake, which it probably was, that's a hugely stupid mistake. I know in the military we're prohibited by regulation to make copies of our ID/CAC cards. You did the right thing, and any consequences he bears are entirely on him.
I'm not too worried because... even with a valid ID an imposter wouldn't get far past the gate.
They can read your plate from a mile away with night vision and regular vision before you even reach the gate. (You ain't getting nowhere son!)

Even if you put a gun to my head and took my car it wouldn't help you get in, as some of the deeper levels are locked via biometrics with security guards watching behind bulletproof walls and are armed, with a hole for only their barrel to peak out (three strikes and you're out! Him=1 You=0). The guards know you in person, and only 1 person at a time is allowed past the checkpoint, not multiple strangers; and there isn't just 1 checkpoint like this, there is like 10, each one getting more restrictive the deeper you go.

At the deepest level of asset containment the employees themselves don't even know what the passcode is! (so your gun to my head isn't gonna do you any good now is it?), the security guard has to contact two managers and both mangers have to give the passcodes willingly, both of which are randomly generated and single-use only and expire every 60 seconds. Neither the guard nor you knows it. Nobody is getting nowhere without authorization, that's how authorization works!

Every security thing you can think up, they have, then also the counter-measures things for those things too (and then more...)
Like Mission Impossible x10.

If you had to choose, it would be far far easier to just rob a rich old lady and go to a warm island for 100 years. More people have been successful doing that, you see it in the news all the time...

This is why I laugh every time I see a movie or person comment about breaking into some secure place like Area 51 or whatever...
You'd have to be 100% delusional to think you'd get anywhere important, let alone get back out undetected. Even Tom Cruise couldn't get in. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1613
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1131282   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1588
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1131290  

Last edited by BassThatHz; 12-20-2015 at 06:20 AM.
post #833 of 948 Old 12-20-2015, 05:45 AM

When I hit my 20 in a few years, I'm going to hit you up for a job. Your secret squirrel stuff is intriguing.
post #834 of 948 Old 12-20-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I might walk away 100% empty-handed
You better hope you get to walk away! lol
post #835 of 948 Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I hit my 20 in a few years, I'm going to hit you up for a job. Your secret squirrel stuff is intriguing.
Most of it is soul zapping, you might be better off staying away to be honest.

But if you really want to, this is probably the easiest way: Just type a location and hit search.
https://www.clearancejobs.com
Once you get in somewhere, then at least you will be on their radar and not a nobody.

You have no idea how annoying it is going through multiple layers of security every day before you even get to your desk or before you get back home; day after day, month after month, year after year.
In some cases the facility would go into lock-down and you wouldn't be allowed to go home for a while.
Imagine having to lie to your wife as to why you missed picking up the kids, missed dinner and didn't get home until midnight; on top of all the other junk you have to deal with, she won't think highly of you when you are making dinner by yourself in the middle of the night making noise at their expense. She'll think you are cheating on her too! Then she will cheat on you for real. etc etc etc
Some people find it easier just to stay single-forever and have only causal relationships, if even that... as it is just another security risk.

Depending on what you are doing, and what you have seen, it often times drives people to drink heavily. Imagine working on a new guidance system for a warhead to blow humans up more-efficiently than ever before.
How would it make you feel inside?
Would you even be able to live with yourself?

Sometimes the scientist just sees a test tube and money deposited in the bank account every few days.
They don't see the engineered Ebola virus designed to kill the whole planet off.
Some of these peoples IQ's are so-high, that they are actually dumb. LOL!

Very rarely does the government use stuff for generating sunshine, rainbows and flowers. 99% of it is war-machine tech.
Some good things like: CPU's and fiber optics eventually trickle down to the consumers level.
They hoard all the cutting edge tech for themselves (but you probably knew that already.)

I didn't care what I was doing as long as the money was deposited.

I'm damaged-goods like Miley Cyrus, I'm not a good role model to look up to; and neither were my parents.

Be a Walmart greeter, find something that is actually useful instead.

Don't say I didn't warn you...
and be careful what you wish for, you might just find it!

Last edited by BassThatHz; 12-22-2015 at 05:05 AM.
post #836 of 948 Old 12-22-2015, 04:42 AM

@BassThatHz This sounds like it's from a movie!
post #837 of 948 Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 AM

Oh, I've already been involved with a lot of that. I've seen that link, but I'll dig through it and see what I can find.
post #838 of 948 Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 175
post #839 of 948 Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Several entrepreneurs I know have divorced the US and moved out of the country.
The rest of the world is so underdeveloped and cheap it sort of makes good business sense.
The only downside is that everything is traded in USD, and so all other countries have to deal with heavy exchange rate hits and expensive shipping.
Look at the cost of AV systems in Australia for example... not cheap at all.

Some countries have no corporate or income taxes, cheap land, and laws are slack.
Perfect conditions for establishing a large monopoly and making that paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknhomeaudio View Post
@BassThatHz This sounds like it's from a movie!
I like your taste in movies.
Which movies would those be?
When I was a kid, my dad had one of those all-channels hacked sat systems. I've seen years worth of PPV for free, from G rated all the way to XXX (thanks Dad, you hippie! )
That was before things like: netflix, high speed internet, google and used ebay disc sales... were a thing.

Quote:
Oh, I've already been involved with a lot of that. I've seen that link, but I'll dig through it and see what I can find.
Ok...
So what level of secret squirrel are you looking, exactly?

As you know, the government can be very one-sided. They are either full and aren't looking for nobody, or you aren't what they are looking for, but in both cases they never tell you anything; you can go your entire life without knowing you are even a "potential" candidate.
The thing is, the pool of fish they can select from is rather large too, there are several-millions of peoples with existing & accredited clearances to pick from.
Out of roughly a million people, only 1 person will be selected. That said, the position could range from: toilet cleaner (cool) to site commander (somebody's gotta do it!) LOL
post #840 of 948 Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I like your taste in movies.
Which movies would those be?
When I was a kid, my dad had one of those all-channels hacked sat systems. I've seen years worth of PPV for free, from G rated all the way to XXX (thanks Dad, you hippie! )
That was before things like: netflix, high speed internet, google and used ebay disc sales... were a thing.

Just your typical Mission Impossible, or Bourne Identiity type movie lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page