BassThatHz Theater Build - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 310
This was 114dbC to 110dbC at the inside wall, approximately 120dbC at 3ft from the sub.

It goes right through the 12inch thick walls like it's rice-paper (well not quite but...)

The walls are heavy enough that all the resonances are completely damped out, so all you hear are the "pure bass tone" fundamentals.
You can't tell what song it is unless your deeply familiar with its bassline signature.
Which is sort-of a good thing, because it makes the neighbor's job of locating the sound source far more difficult. hehe biggrin.gif

I haven't metered it, but it sounds like 55dbC at 50ft; and that's just 1 out of 10 subs.

With all 10 subs going I anticipate 120dbC continuous in-room, and 65dbC continuous outside (all bass); not super-loud but loud enough to possibly be annoying (like say, if you're trying to sleep or etc).

So I'll definitely have to add another layer of OSB; which might knock out another 3db (if I'm lucky)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Man, I saw this thread when you first started it.. and regretfully I didn't subscribe thinking it was such a far fetched idea that it would just die on the proverbial idea vine (silly me)... i got caught up in the last 2-3 days, thanks for the ride... this thing is ridiculously nutz in such a good way eek.gif - looking forward to seeing the finished product, and at the pace you've been tracking,, it won't bee too long..

post #243 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Looking through this thread and how much has been done I have come to the realization that I am a Lazy Ass!

Today I am going to force my-self to actually accomplish something.....ehhhh, maybe tomorrow. tongue.gif

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #244 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
man o man! That much copper wire would have already been stolen around here!

Freaking people are tacking copper wire out of control boxes to our farm pumps!

Looks like it is coming along nicely!

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #245 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I can't stop looking at all that shiny copper wire.......

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #246 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

man o man! That much copper wire would have already been stolen around here!
Freaking people are tacking copper wire out of control boxes to our farm pumps!
Looks like it is coming along nicely!

Just connect some 240 up to the pump casing, the crackheads will learn their lesson. tongue.gif

Crap the projector mount doesn't fit. mad.gif 1.5inches too long. I guess I'll have to drop the box down a bit more.
post #247 of 747 Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using my rear speakers here to find the sweet spot.
I think I found it.
4ft from the side wall and 2ft from the front wall.

Keep in mind my room is completely untreated at the moment.
Everything is a hard surface, with no furniture, and only a small patch of carpet.

They are not nearly as good as my B&W front speakers, but they do ok to scare you during horror movies and action flyovers etc etc.
This is roughly 4000 peak-watts here.

I always liked this bass track.
In-room hair-trick time! LOL biggrin.gif
post #248 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Status Update: 40% finished insulating the columns.

You can already hear a difference in the acoustics.

post #249 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Status Update: 51% done insulating the columns.

ZeGhostbear likes this.
post #250 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
This room looks like it will be killer when complete! I am so envious, looking forward to not moving every 2-3 years so I can start an over the top room.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

post #251 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Looking good. Are you going into the insulating with an acoustic game plan?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #252 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another Major Milestone Achieved: Got the projector mounted properly.

I'm glad that there is no light bleeding all over the place, the ceiling will have black fabric where it is blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Looking good. Are you going into the insulating with an acoustic game plan?
The insulation is part of the acoustical treatments.
post #253 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Which projector is that?
post #254 of 747 Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's 1/5th output: 6.2kW's out of 35kW's. This is what 2 out of 10 subs sounds like; gettin' er all dialed in. No room problems to be found thus far.

Actually this is 1/40th system according to the amp LED's.
It's 1/16th of the clone's full power; that's pretty loud for just that much eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Which projector is that?

It's a 1080P DLP. It's just an el-cheapo W1000+ nothing special.
post #255 of 747 Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 52
See you're to the point of enjoyment a little! Just curious if you have any hum from what you have hooked up so far? I noticed you had to run some power kinda close to speaker wires in some locations so just thought I'd ask since I had some places similar to yours. I have a hum but have gotten it to go away only to return which makes me believe it's in cable management not wire runs thank god! My mains and surrounds are a lot more sensitive as well so may be a little harder for me to completely eliminate it but will try my damnedest one of these days.

Looking good and really reminds me of my build in a lot of ways! Power, subs, power, subs, and more power! No other way to do it when dealing with a whole separate structure from ground up!!! Really wish you could have gotten free 400 amp service like us down here in the US to drive all your gear. Amazing how power companies will turn down such usage on their time/wire they would have to provide for many years of income. They would only allow you to jack up your electric bill equaling more money for them over and over again!!!

I know you've talked about your mains and are happy with them but one of these days you need to demo some real high sensitivity LCRs and surrounds way YOU will see the difference! I was HOOKED on paradigmn speakers even when I had klipsch running in my theater. Then one day I finally just bit the bullet and bought two JTRs for demoing purposes before committing to buy 13 of them and I'll never look back. There are just so many differences once being able to play ALL of the speakers at insane volume levels!

Just some thoughts to add to your never ending build. Looking good and keep it up man!
post #256 of 747 Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Really wish you could have gotten free 400 amp service
There are three 10kV transformers directly across from my house. Does anyone know how many amps that is?
That would be sweet if my sound system blew that up. haha smile.gif
In fact, I could have sworn that my sound system blew up the block transformers at my old place, at least once or twice. I would often see power guys working on the lines tongue.gif

400amps? We ran roughly 100ft of 2AWG cable in my backyard just for the 100amps.
How much you you think a 200 or 400amp wire of that length would cost? What would that even be 0000AWG? eek.gif
Your PoCo in KY does private-land backyard wiring of 400amps for free? eek.gif WOW

If I trip a 100amp breaker, I'll have no choice but to re-upgrade the line. Like a second 2AWG line etc.
Quote:

Just curious if you have any hum from what you have hooked up so far? I noticed you had to run some power kinda close to speaker wires in some locations so just thought I'd ask since I had some places similar to yours. I have a hum but have gotten it to go away only to return which makes me believe it's in cable management not wire runs thank god! My mains and surrounds are a lot more sensitive as well so may be a little harder for me to completely eliminate it but will try my damnedest one of these days.

I won't know until I get some light bulbs in there to complete the circuits and be drawing power. All the romex is 10 or so inches away, and when they do cross it is perpendicular.
If any did leak, I would expect the crossovers in the speakers to filter out almost all of it.
post #257 of 747 Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Can I move in with you? biggrin.gif
post #258 of 747 Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have 200amps in my Theater already.

Now that I think about it. Each hot wire at 120volts of #2/3 wire supports 100amps.
So I could technically run 10 clones at -4db into 40 subwoofers without tripping the breaker, if I balance them across both legs (as I'm doing now).

Additionally, most breakers can support multiple times that current for brief moments of 1 to 30 seconds.
post #259 of 747 Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought you only had 1 one hundred amp line ran out there when you posted the pics of it. 200 is a lot better but, Yea, they upgraded the transformer in my yard and pulled the old 75' 200 amp line and replaced with 400 amp line. All I had to pay was electrician to hook up meter base and meter base itself. I can put a strain on the system with all 3 heating/cooling units running and theater playing music full tilt.
post #260 of 747 Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought you only had 1 one hundred amp line ran out there when you posted the pics of it. 200 is a lot better but, Yea, they upgraded the transformer in my yard and pulled the old 75' 200 amp line and replaced with 400 amp line. All I had to pay was electrician to hook up meter base and meter base itself. I can put a strain on the system with all 3 heating/cooling units running and theater playing music full tilt.

How many megawatt-hours are you drawing holic?

You must have a really big house, mine is only 3400sq ft.
2700sq ft of it is heated by gas with a 99% efficiency-rated furnace (just installed it yesterday actually).
The other 700sq ft is electric heat.
The main stove is also gas, but I'm looking to create a second kitchen (not sure what that will have yet, maybe electric).
The roof is R59 in the main house; the two newly renovated area's of the house are R70; the walls are R20 to R28 in the new reno areas. (So pretty efficient.)

The furnace fan in the winter is the only major power draw in my house (and dryer when drying). In the summer the two small AC units (Main + Theater) added to that.
All of which share the two 200amp hot legs, basically it is just coasting along, not strained at all.

For appliances I have 2 fridges, a mini-DF, heated bubble tub and lighting. (No welding.)
4 TV's, one of which has a small AVR, 600watt divided into 6.

I will be adding a hot tub and pool in the future, so I may have to re-review things at that point. Maybe two 300amp legs.

Obviously the neutral wire is the limiting factor, it is only 1 conductor, but everyone's house has that limitation, that's not something specific to just me.

Just for comparison, my old house had:
A 59% efficient heater, 1 electric stove, my sound system, the 4 tv's, 2 fridges, 4 large deepfreezes, a small pool pump, dry/washer, 1 central AC (59%) and 4 window units, a hot tub, various lighting, and two 24/7 desktop PC's.
All of which was running on two 200amp hot legs as well, and it seemed totally fine with the load. But my electric bill was $400 a month for 4 megawatt-hours.
post #261 of 747 Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 14
BassThatHz - looking good on your build - should end up being a great HT.
That is sure a lot of bass power.
I am way behind you in that area (only one JTR captivator S2, and one Epik Conquest), and may never get close.
My HT is only 19' x 16'.
However, if I ever get the itch to add more, my house has plenty of capacity, and the breaker panels are on the other side of the HT back wall.
I have no clue what the guy I bought the house from was planning to do in the house, but there are two separate service lines coming into the house, each one 800 amps, for total of 1,600 amps.
There plenty capacity left over for some serious bass additions (considering adding another Captivator S2 or an Orbit Shifter).
post #262 of 747 Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

How many megawatt-hours are you drawing holic?

In the summer months with the pool running and all three AC units running we use around 7000kw/hrs per month. I think I did the math right. Does that sound correct?

You must have a really big house, mine is only 3400sq ft.

Na, not really. House is 3000sqft but built a completely seperated theater with bath,laundry,kitchen/bar, and media room. That's why yours reminds me of mine. There are only a few of us that actually have theaters outside of our main living space.

2700sq ft of it is heated by gas with a 99% efficiency-rated furnace (just installed it yesterday actually).
The other 700sq ft is electric heat.
The main stove is also gas, but I'm looking to create a second kitchen (not sure what that will have yet, maybe electric).
The roof is R59 in the main house; the two newly renovated area's of the house are R70; the walls are R20 to R28 in the new reno areas. (So pretty efficient.)

The furnace fan in the winter is the only major power draw in my house (and dryer when drying). In the summer the two small AC units (Main + Theater) added to that.
All of which share the two 200amp hot legs, basically it is just coasting along, not strained at all.

For appliances I have 2 fridges, a mini-DF, heated bubble tub and lighting. (No welding.)
4 TV's, one of which has a small AVR, 600watt divided into 6.

I will be adding a hot tub and pool in the future, so I may have to re-review things at that point. Maybe two 300amp legs.

Yeah they will both draw pretty good. We don't use the hot tub too often but the pool adds a lot that's why I tested with everything turned on in the summer. I actually have more of a noticeable dim in a couple of room lights in the main house than near the theater. Don't know why as the feed wire(400amp) comes in right next to the house panel where the theater panel is another 12' away. Who knows. That's all I can do though is make a couple ceiling lights dim but still thought that was impressive after all the trouble of upgrading the power.

Obviously the neutral wire is the limiting factor, it is only 1 conductor, but everyone's house has that limitation, that's not something specific to just me.

Just for comparison, my old house had:
A 59% efficient heater, 1 electric stove, my sound system, the 4 tv's, 2 fridges, 4 large deepfreezes, a small pool pump, dry/washer, 1 central AC (59%) and 4 window units, a hot tub, various lighting, and two 24/7 desktop PC's.
All of which was running on two 200amp hot legs as well, and it seemed totally fine with the load. But my electric bill was $400 a month for 4 megawatt-hours.

Yeah we have all kinds of stuff running 24/7 and don't use much more than that during winter months when have gas flowing.

Well. Looking good! And now have me thinking of changing my seats to rows of 3 enstead of 4. Rarely will more than 9 people be in there so having three sweet spots may be the way to go. Been buying seats from Roman so can use them in either config with what have now. Too expensive to buy at once so only bought 4 at first and have them setup as two rows of love seats.
post #263 of 747 Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Another Major Milestone Achieved: Got the projector mounted properly.

Oh man, you just committed the cardinal sin. Once you mount the projector, the progress will slow down to 1/10th of the current pace. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #264 of 747 Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Oh man, you just committed the cardinal sin. Once you mount the projector, the progress will slow down to 1/10th of the current pace. biggrin.gif

Status Update: I'm very close to being done, I only have a few things left to do, as follows:

Critical path:
1) Build the wood amp shelves.( I have the rails and bracing finished already.)
2) Cover the columns with cloth.
3) Finish the audio post wiring.
4) Move all my gear into position and connect everything together.
Then it will be 100% usable.

Not critical path:
5) Finish the decorative wood trim stuff.
6) Increase the soundproofing of the attic hatch and entrance doors.
7) Paint touch-ups.
8)The theater seats will have to wait until later, I need to service the reno debt by a few grand firstly.
9) Buy/Install a 2-split AC unit (late Spring/early Summer).

At this point, it is pretty much a game of hurry up and wait. So close, yet so far away.

As far as audio equipment goes. I'd like to:
1) Get the PureSine UPS I was talking about.
2) Buy a 2-ch pre-amp for music-mode.
3) Fix my center channel conundrum.
4) Replace my two aging SDX-15 subs with something even better.
5) Buy a second LMS Ultra.
6) 3D projector with glasses
7) Migrate from 7.x to 11.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz View Post

I have no clue what the guy I bought the house from was planning to do in the house, but there are two separate service lines coming into the house, each one 800 amps, for total of 1,600 amps.
That doesn't seem right, I think your counting it wrong, 99.999% of homes only have two legs per panel. Most 400amps@240v services are done with two 200amp-240v panels. So you might have 800amps@120v across 4 legs.
You have to take the cover off and count the legs and the size of the conductors; comparing it to an AWG chart to see what it can actually handle.
Anyone claiming 3 Phase power and/or 1600amps anywhere in North America, I'd be highly doubtful of. Almost nobody has that, except for Bill Gates.
post #265 of 747 Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

That doesn't seem right, I think your counting it wrong, 99.999% of homes only have two legs per panel. Most 400amps@240v services are done with two 200amp-240v panels. So you might have 800amps@120v across 4 legs.
You have to take the cover off and count the legs and the size of the conductors; comparing it to an AWG chart to see what it can actually handle.
Anyone claiming 3 Phase power and/or 1600mamps anywhere in North America, I'd be highly doubtful of. Almost nobody has that, except for Bill Gates.

On the outside of the house are two main breakers, one for each incoming line.
Each incoming line has a breaker for 800 amps (about a 200 foot run from transformer).
Inside the house are two panels, each with its own line coming in from outside the house, from its own disconnect breaker.
Each line is 4/0 AWG 600 Volts (3 phase 4 wire, each conductor is size 0, 3 live wires plus 1 bare neutral wire.)

Each panel has capacity for 32 breakers.
The first panel is utilizing all 32 slots, with breakers totaling 390 amps of 120 volts and 80 amps of 240 volts.
The second panel is utilizing 24 slots, with breakers totaling 350 amps of 120 volts and 70 amps of 240 volts.
If you convert the 240 volt to 120 volt equivalent, you would have 550 amps of 120 volts (390 + 2*80 = 550) for the first panel, and 490 amps of 120 volts (390 + 2*70 = 450) for the second panel.

Running calculation for each breaker panel - 200 ft run from the transformer to the house, with 4/0 AWG cable, 120/208 volt 3 phase 4 wire service with a 600 amp load for each panel, gives a 10 volt drop (13.6 volt for 800 amp load).

I admit that I am not an electrician, however, it does look to me like this house really has 1,600 amp service.

Someone more knowledgeable, please chime in if it looks like my understanding is wrong.
post #266 of 747 Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
It's ... Beautiful. smile.gif Love following this thread. Kind of makes me think of "what if" and "someday".

Also makes me think that something like a separate outbuilding might be better than a basement theater. Maybe even the 2nd story of a barn/garage thing. Although putting all my subs up in the air might just broadcast the sound that much better.

Wait, I have it. Build an underground bunker seperate from the house! Maybe people will think I'm a "doomsday prepper" instead of a sound/movie nut.
post #267 of 747 Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Status Update: Bought 1300sqft of fabric today. Hopefully it is enough to cover it eek.gif

I bought it at a thrift store for 15cents a square foot, an amazing deal.
It's amazing what you can find in such places.

Inside layer:

Outside layer:
post #268 of 747 Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Gotta love thrift store finds. One time I pulled an Adcom gfa-555II out of a local goodwill, it's probably what started me down this dark dark path about 11-12 years ago now that I think about it. I've always dreamed of finding a pioneer SX-1980 at a thrift store, but that'll never happen.
post #269 of 747 Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz View Post

On the outside of the house are two main breakers, one for each incoming line.
Each incoming line has a breaker for 800 amps (about a 200 foot run from transformer).
Inside the house are two panels, each with its own line coming in from outside the house, from its own disconnect breaker.
Each line is 4/0 AWG 600 Volts (3 phase 4 wire, each conductor is size 0, 3 live wires plus 1 bare neutral wire.)

Each panel has capacity for 32 breakers.
The first panel is utilizing all 32 slots, with breakers totaling 390 amps of 120 volts and 80 amps of 240 volts.
The second panel is utilizing 24 slots, with breakers totaling 350 amps of 120 volts and 70 amps of 240 volts.
If you convert the 240 volt to 120 volt equivalent, you would have 550 amps of 120 volts (390 + 2*80 = 550) for the first panel, and 490 amps of 120 volts (390 + 2*70 = 450) for the second panel.

Running calculation for each breaker panel - 200 ft run from the transformer to the house, with 4/0 AWG cable, 120/208 volt 3 phase 4 wire service with a 600 amp load for each panel, gives a 10 volt drop (13.6 volt for 800 amp load).

I admit that I am not an electrician, however, it does look to me like this house really has 1,600 amp service.

Someone more knowledgeable, please chime in if it looks like my understanding is wrong.

That's definitely not 3 phase, that is still split-phase, just two hot legs there. Looks like just two 400amp@240v panels to me (based on the 4/0 cable there).
I'd have to see a picture of the other panel and the panel outside to fully confirm that.
That is STILL a tonne of power however, 4 times more than my house is wired for...
post #270 of 747 Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
You will want to make sure that cloth is acoustically transparent if you are using it for such things.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page