center channel upgrade/repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Polk CS400i that is about 12 years old. Recently 1 of the 6.5 drivers has been making a crackling noise. I was thinking of replacing it with a new polk center channel, but would like to consider just replacing the 2 6.5" speakers. The enclosure is in great shape and as well as the wiring and binding posts.

Does it make sense to replace the entire unit just because 1 speaker is bad? Or should I just purchase some new 6.5"'s and have a better quality center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 835
you can't just plop any 6.5" drivers in there or the crossover won't work as intended and the drivers won't be match in spl.

if you can measure the thiele small specs for one of them, then finding another that is very close should be possible.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

LTD02,
In your experience is that worthwhile doing? From what you mention it would seem like the best thing would to contact polk for direct replacements. I have no measurement devices available.

thanks,
Justin
post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytsi View Post

I have a Polk CS400i that is about 12 years old. Recently 1 of the 6.5 drivers has been making a crackling noise. I was thinking of replacing it with a new polk center channel, but would like to consider just replacing the 2 6.5" speakers. The enclosure is in great shape and as well as the wiring and binding posts.

Does it make sense to replace the entire unit just because 1 speaker is bad? Or should I just purchase some new 6.5"'s and have a better quality center channel.

Crackling noise is pretty vague, but your speakers foam surrounds could be going bad. If the foam surround of the 6.5" speaker is what is going bad, you can replace the speaker surround.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Its not a a typical crackling noise and the surrounds look ok. The dialog sounds muffled and far away. I've narrowed it down to one of the 6.5 speakers in the enclosure. IT just does sound good and buzzs. I've since disconnected it and only have one of the drivers playing. Sounds cleaner, but not great.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM

could be that the crossover has crapped out, try to get a schematic and replace the parts for the crossovers with ones of the same value. fairly straight forward.

Its either that or a driver failure. you might be able to find the driver on ebay.

its probably not worth while to measure and design new crossovers for different drivers. the amount of time/money/trial and error it takes to make new speakers. you would be better off buying building a whole new center channel from an established design or kit. This kit would probably more than suit your needs http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.3c-center-channel-single-with-cabinet/
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I think I am going to wait it out and replace the center channel completely. Polk wants $90 for a new driver, which isn't too bad, but that could be put towards and upgrade instead. at this point I've disconnected the driver and its sounds much clearer with just a single 6.5" driver that works.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can also contact a company such as Parts Express. Sometimes they have drop-in replacements for some of the more popular speakers. If you do some Google searches, you may locate alternative companies with drop-in replacements.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I would recommend Madisound for a replacement driver. They probably know exactly who made the original driver and have one compatible with it.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page