post #182 of 189 Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

I just used the "stock" crossover design. I'll let Tuxedocivic answer if there is a need to cross them differently. They sound great to me, so that's all I need to know.

I'm not sure what you mean on the impact. Are you asking if these kick more than the ADP's? Absolutely. I really notice it on surround music (SACD).

I built the ported version of the Fusion Max, and I crossover at 100 Hz. I used that xover before with Paradigm Titan v3's too...the room's modal response requires me to. 

While a 10" seems "capable,"  it's only capable (as a pro driver) of gaining sensitivity (98dB). To get sensitivity and low extension, one would have to give up size, as one does with the Sentinels (96dB). The Alpha 12 Zephyr extends down to bass guitar range at 37Hz, but its sensitivity drops to 95.5dB.

post #183 of 189 Old 06-18-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

I built the ported version of the Fusion Max, and I crossover at 100 Hz. I used that xover before with Paradigm Titan v3's too...the room's modal response requires me to. 

While a 10" seems "capable,"  it's only capable (as a pro driver) of gaining sensitivity (98dB). To get sensitivity and low extension, one would have to give up size, as one does with the Sentinels (96dB). The Alpha 12 Zephyr extends down to bass guitar range at 37Hz, but its sensitivity drops to 95.5dB.

So you are saying that in order to get a woofer to extend down low, and also have decent sensitivity, you would have to use a smaller woofer? I would expect this to be the opposit. Would a woofer such as the JBL2225 be able to extend down as low as Alpha 12 Zephyr and still have some decent efficiency?
post #184 of 189 Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I think he meant "give up size" to mean you'd have to go with a bigger speaker. Which is true. The Fusion Pure/Max are a high SPL small package design. But they're bass limit is about 80hz. If you want more bass and keep the sensitivity, then you gotta go bigger.
post #185 of 189 Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
You have my attention now!
How did you like these compared to your Paradigms?
What was the efficiency of these compared to the fronts you made?

I am very curious as to how these would compare to my Paradigms.If they would be as good or better I think it is DIY time! I am thinking of maybe going with these first for my height channels...

tia,
Ron

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #186 of 189 Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

You have my attention now!
How did you like these compared to your Paradigms?
What was the efficiency of these compared to the fronts you made?

I am very curious as to how these would compare to my Paradigms.If they would be as good or better I think it is DIY time! I am thinking of maybe going with these first for my height channels...

tia,
Ron

Hey Ron,

What Paradigms do you have? I had pretty close to entry level.

That being said, these blow away my paradigms. These may be too much for height channels. They run pretty well with my main. Surprisingly well...

I've been exploring using an 8" woofer models for height/wides. Many project before it, though.

Java
post #187 of 189 Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

Hey Ron,

What Paradigms do you have? I had pretty close to entry level.

That being said, these blow away my paradigms. These may be too much for height channels. They run pretty well with my main. Surprisingly well...

I've been exploring using an 8" woofer models for height/wides. Many project before it, though.

Java
I have the Studio 80 v2... Which are going up for sale in the morning. I was browsing Craigslist and found a pair of La Scalas for $500 so I just picked them up. They will become my mains and I am still looking at these as a possibility for my other 6 channels.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #188 of 189 Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hello, I'm looking to build some surrounds to compliment my system, I have a pic of the one I'd like to make, I remember finding this in a previous thread, just wondering as I have 4 klipsch KG 5.5 towers ( 2 in front, 2 in rear ) that are ported, as well as a klipsch rw-12 that's ported, if I want to build a set of these for sides and or rear surrounds, or would I be better building something else with seos to image better with my klipsch towers, I also use a Klipsch KV-4 center channel. Thanks for the help!
post #189 of 189 Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Hey Chad,

Real hard to predict how the SEOS will work with the Klipsh. I would assume that they would be similar, since both are horn loaded.

I was real concerned (probably over concerned) about matching my surrounds to my mains. I went with the same waveguide and a vary similar CD as my mains.

Candidly my surrounds are overkill. They could easily be fronts. But, I'm very happy with them. Tux did a great job on the design.

Last, relook on where I netted out on the box design. Instead ongoing with a wedge design, I just used a flatpack box with a flat screen tilt mount. Much easier and gives some flexibility on the angle.

Good luck
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page