DIY Bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried doing a search for "bookshelf" and a few other items and I get a lot of threads with info I don't need. haha

I need a pair of bookshelf speakers and was looking to spend $100 or less. Yes cheap I know but it's what I want to spend right now. I started looking at Crutchfield, etc for new ones and then scanning local CL for used to try and get something decent for less. That's when the DIY thought hit me and I never even realized AVS had a DIY speaker forum!!

I want to hook them to a Sony receiver(don't have model in front of me) mainly to stream iTunes music through them. I believe the receiver is rated at 100w per channel. I realize there is more info to the receiver but I am at work right now and don't have the info(i will update when I get the info). I am not looking for concert hall sound but something a little better than the clock radio/iphone charger/speaker system I have now would be good. wink.gif

I am a woodworker so I just need components and a plan and even after an hour of looking around online I realize I have no idea where to start. So much info out there. I was hoping you folks could point me in the right direction to start.

I look at these as a starting point and depending how it goes my HT could use some new speakers so if all goes well maybe I can upgrade them to get better performance for less $$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Look into some overnight sensations or hit makers https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

if you are going to build your own cabs thh components fall in your budget
post #3 of 12 Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Erich has the Overnight Sensations kit w/flat pack enclosure too. A pair will put you over your budget but will save time and making sawdust.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/small-kits.html

Cheers

post #4 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I looked at both and for some reason the Hitmakers are jumping out a little more as more bang for the buck. The area these are going in is a fairly large area and it seems the Hitmakers may be a little better for that. Would they be?

The link for the Hitmakers shows it comes with cabinets but it also shows as unavailable. So I started to try and figure out what components I would need and build a bill of material. Seeing as I have next to zero electronics knowledge I was stuck on the first item I looked at. The capacitors and whether I should use film & foil or metalized poly. Also looking at the schematic I am a little lost on some of what the components should be.....so it seems I need a crossover 101 lesson....where is a good place to find that?

Maybe I can try and put together the bill of material and have someone check it to see if I got it right.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add....here is the receiver I will be using.

Sony STR595
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 459
If you're patient, the hitmakers should be in stock soon.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM

double_b
The Hit Makers are a near field studio monitor design, and may not serve your purpose.

More links to spark your inner DIY:
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forumdisplay.php?6-Speaker-Project-Gallery
http://www.zaphaudio.com/

Cheers

post #8 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys15 View Post

double_b
The Hit Makers are a near field studio monitor design, and may not serve your purpose.
Why?

YID DIY
post #9 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Look up "Encore" speakers at the project pages of Parts Express.. They are nice!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

OK. I took the first step. I ordered a soldering station. biggrin.gif I'll be practicing my soldering skills before I start on a speaker build.

I also did a little more research on the crossover schematics and the reading of them I think I have a handle now on what I'm looking at. I'm getting pretty excited about this. haha

I do have questions still on which speakers to start with. As I stated above I like the idea of the Hitmakers but someone stated that may not serve my purpose. As someoen else asked why it wouldn't I didn't get an answer. But I am also looking at the MTM version of the Overnight Sensations but I am not sure my receiver will drive them. Any comments on whether it would(info on receiver is in an earlier post).

I am trying to get an idea in my head now as to what the cabinets should look like. The idea of being able to make something similar to building furniture that is functional.....awesome.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Looks like your receiver is rated for 8 to 16 ohm speakers (from the back panel drawing). The OS MTM and hitmaker dip down to 6 ohm (someone please verify). Your receiver may have trouble driving them.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #12 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 459
First, the hitmakers aren't required to be nearfield speakers. They're fine.

Second, I don't know what impedance profile of either of them look like, but dipping to 6ohms is fine. Mayny 8ohm speakers dip down to even 4ohms in the commercial world. If you can dig up the z curves for each speaker I can tell you better.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page