Single Fi Q18 ported or Two Fi IB315's in IB for ~1600CF (215SF) Dedicated HT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IT'S A 215 SF Dedicated HT! NOT 1600! It's 1600 CUBIC foot room!!! LOL I've edited the title but it may not update...

I'm in the design phase of my dedicated basement HT found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437601/im-baaack-this-time-with-a-new-project

The room to be built will be 12.5' wide, 17' long and the ceiling is at 7.5' above the floor. I plan on only a single large reclining couch and bean bags for when kids come over. I may try to squeeze in a second row but that's not in the design at this point. I have the space to do an IB but since it's more expensive, would it be worth it?

I've been researching and am intrigued by what I've found on the impact an IB configuration has on the sub-stage. At the same time, it's limitations are in placement options and that it will cost a bit more. For arguments sake and for how the HT will be financed, let's just say the Q18's enclosure and the construction of the IB Manifold/wall reinforcement will cost me the same amount of $. Let's also assume that both designs can be powered by an EP2000 amp and the same EQ device (not decided on yet). So it basically comes down to driver cost and the pros/cons of each alignment...

Here's a breakdown of what I'm thinking:

Single Fi Q18 in a slot ported enclosure to specs - $334

Pair of Fi IB315's in a manifold and reinforced wall - $448

Difference (assuming amp/EQ and enclosure costs remain the same in either option) = $114

Would the pair of 15's in an IB produce $114 worth of cleaner, lower effortless bass?

Also of note is that my receiver (currently) is a Yamaha HTR-6130 but will most likely be replaced with a 7.1 unit with HDMI 1.4 and Audyssey features. My center speaker is a Pioneer Elite S-IW571L and my mains and surrounds are Pioneer Elite S-IW671-LR's. My mains will most likely be upgraded eventually but for now that's what I've got to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Or I'm open to other driver/enclosure suggestions to meet my budget and work well in my room with the speakers I have... What about getting the Behringer B1800D-PRO and be done with it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just from a flexibility pov I would go with the single sealed 18" Q. I just ordered 4 of them but will be using a ported enclosure. You can always add another driver in the future to help with nulls. The clear displacement advantage goes to the pair of 18" IB3's. Which would have more output in your room is difficult to answer. There are too many variables to consider to do anything but guess.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I am leaning towards the single Q18 as it will provide me with more room layout and location flexibility and the option to easily build another later on. With that said, would the Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP be enough power for one Q18 and provide the needed adjustments without needing to get a separate EQ?

post #5 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

The iNuke1000DSP will work fine.

I am headed on a similar route and choosing 4-Q18"s and the iNukeDSP6000 for power. I wish I had it built but I had another project ahead of it.

Edit: I just looked at your room. Man I wish I had a dedicated room like that. smile.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I had emailed Fi about something's and mentioned my HT. the reply email I got mentioned a customer from Florida going with 4 Q18's and a knock-off Behringer amp but he couldn't remember what the brand name was... Is that you?

post #7 of 16 Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Yessir. smile.gif I did end up choosing the iNuke6000DSP though.

I know that Scott hasn't started building mine if you wanted to piggy back on that run.

Chris
post #8 of 16 Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm waiting on some financial stuff to free up before I order my Q18. I'm really hoping I can place the order next week...

I am however a bit concerned with some AVS and HT-Shack member's experience's with this sub. I know to take some of their stories with a grain of salt but it still has me nervous spending over $300 on a subwoofer if it's going to give me the results their experiencing.

post #9 of 16 Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Can you elaborate on who had a bad experience and what made it give you concern?
post #10 of 16 Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Ace,

I f you are waiting I have a Q18 that I bought to test last year. It has the high qts, black Fi logo, cooling, high xmax and shorting ring options. Pretty much loaded out it was over $400 after shipping. I plan to sell it for quite a bit less when I am done testing it. I have one more set of measurements to do and then I'm done with it. Shouldn't be more than another 2-3 weeks maybe sooner. PM me if interested.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I tried finding the thread with the guy that built a single ported one but I can't seem to locate it. I was on my iPhone about to fall asleep when I was reading it and I'm on my PC now but can't track it down. He was experiencing extremely underwhelming output and it may have been due to his equipment but the thread ended. I want to say it was on the HT-Shack forum and from a while ago. I've also seen a few posts here on AVS about people mentioning better drivers since Fi is truly a Car Audio driven (pun intended) company and therefore better drivers can be found for HT use. I'm intrigued though by read the "$700 Playhouse Sub" thread which was my main start at looking into the Q-series ported.

Ricci, I'm interested but don't I want LOW Qts for HT use ported?

post #12 of 16 Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Definitely link me if you can find it. I would put money on his issues being user error. I have not been underwhelmed by any of the Fi built drivers I have owned or installed for others. It is true that Fi has a high degree of focus toward the car audio crowd, but many of the drivers we all use are from primarily car audio manufacturers. What I like about them is they will custom build for your application including the HT environment. I have met Scott and spent some time picking his brain. He is a great guy and knows his craft. I am also a fan of his business practices when it comes to sourcing his materials from US manufacturers. I will say this, be aware of the bias that exists in this industry. One could have a bad experience due to user error. Others may have different motives. With that said, I want you to get what you will be happy with and meet all of your goals. If the Q doesn't fit the bill, something else surely will.

If you are going ported you will want one without it. I am the guy that doesn't like to buy used drivers. The only exception I have ever made was the 8330 that Erich had.

Edit, I misspoke and deleted the Qts comment. I did not have a full understanding of the impact of Qts and how that related to enclosure selection. You are right in that the high Qts option will be optimized in a sealed enclosure. If you want to go ported, like I am doing, I would not use one with the high Qts option.

Chris
post #13 of 16 Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

So the one you have that your testing would work wonders in a large ported enclosure with 500W going to each VC? PM me your price on it. I usually don't buy used driver's either and am curious how extensive and therefore how potentially "brutal" your testing would be to have me concerned about using it... If your price is reasonable based upon us both not liking to buy used drivers, we may have a deal. I'd ask to receive the testing results tho! biggrin.gif

post #14 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ace, that sub wouldnt work for you as it has the High QTS feature, which is made for sealed applications, where as the standard QTS is derived for ported applications.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Shawn,
Actually the higher qts may benefit him in this particular app, which is much different than the typical car audio vented system. For very large low tuned ported enclosures used in HT low qts drivers often require a smaller air space to avoid peaking near tune than will allow sufficient port area without the vent becoming unmanageably long. In these types of EBS enclosures a little higher qts sometimes works out better.

Do you have the specs for the high qts driver to tell just how much higher the qts is and how the other parameters shift so that the system can be modeled? FI doesn't list how any of their options impact the electrical parameters.

post #16 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Where should I begin to start modeling a large enclosure for a single Q18? And at what tuning frequency should I go for? My mains go well below 80Hz but I'd like to keep them above 63Hz if I can so they don't break up at 85-90dB's (which is my preferred listening level with 105dB peaks). Also, my listening position from the middle of the port of the sub enclosure will be about 10 feet to 12 feet away which leaves wiggle room for placement.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page