Kef C60 cabinets what to do with them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 4 days ago my dog knocked one of my Kef C60 off of its stand, falling about 3 feet or so. I place the speaker back on its stand and tested the speaker and everything seemed to be in order.
This morning as I was listening to Saxaphone Colossus the same speaker that fell stopped working. I took the driver out to see if there were any obviously broken connections, there were none.
I spoke to a gentleman at a speaker clinic and I was quoted $250 cdn to rebuild the crossovers which is more than the speakers are worth.

I have searched extensively and have found nothing of value, are there crossovers I could purchase to replace the C60 crossovers?

So here is my question to you chaps. Could I roll my own speakers using the C60 cabinet? Its more a of learning experience than a practical measure but I figure it could be fun!
If so what would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Are the drivers ok, test them in the other cabinet to double check.

If it is a crossover issue take some pictures of the front and back and post them here. Easiest thing would be to figure out what went bad on the crossover and replace it.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well it looks like one of the caps has burst, I really have no interest in fixing it.

I was thinking about keeping the cabinet and tweeter while using a new driver and cross over. Probably parts express. Any ideas?
post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanbeerboy View Post

Well it looks like one of the caps has burst, I really have no interest in fixing it.
I was thinking about keeping the cabinet and tweeter while using a new driver and cross over. Probably parts express. Any ideas?

Why not?

It's going to be really unlikely you can salvage a speaker out of the tweeter and cabinet.
That's basically designing a new speaker from scratch, and crossovers are no easy task.

If it's just a capacitor or two then you're better off replacing them.
You can get caps cheap from PE if you can figure out the values. That's why MTG was asking for some pictures I believe.

If you're hesitant about soldering I can recommend you a really cheap iron, ( I used an 8 dollar DealExtreme one for my 4Pi build) or some tips on how to do it properly.

I'm no expert but I'm sure some of the "veterans" will offer a similar opinion

Cheers
post #5 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Hello, I have followed attentively to your comment as I am a current KefC60 Owner which driver stoped to worked. I have tried the speaker cone in another driver and its working. I have took apart the driver from the cabinet and it seems that something went on inside. I would like to ask you if you could please have a look at it as I am trying to fix it.

Thank you
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page