Wanting to build a 'platform' sub enclosure. Serious noob. Medium budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and we are building a home theatre area into the mix. It will be approximately 900 sq. ft. (32'x28') of open area.

My 'idea' is to have a raised platform for one of the viewing couches, and I was thinking the platform would make a great area for a large sub enclosure.

One of the thoughts was to use a pair ( or 4? ) 8" drivers. I have been looking into the large enclosures, reading about tapped horns, and all kinds of other goodies. In my younger days I used to build car audio boxes (sealed and ported) but that was about 12 years ago. Very comfortable making boxes. I'm wanting to get back into it on the home audio side now, just for my own enjoyment. I enjoy tweaking designs, and I have a blank canvas at this point to build in.

My budget is in the $500-$750 range for subs and amp, wood I can get for almost nothing (I have connections). Already have a receiver I like to drive the other channels for 7.1 sound.

I was looking at the Tang 8" subs from parts express, but wasn't sure if there was a more efficient / better option at a similar price point.

Ok, have fun chewing up my idea. Serious newbie here, just looking for ideas.

CJax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Why are you limiting yourself to such small drivers?

There's some good discussion & sketches of platform / riser subs going on in this thread at HTS. It shows how you can use much larger drivers in a platform / riser.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

My thought on the smaller driver was that I am going to need to keep this 'hidden' as the wife doesn't want to see them. If I can build them into the cabinet and hide them that way it's helpful. I'd love to do 15"ers but I don't know how well a down-firing build would work in a large enclosure like this.
Am I off-base with this design plan? Also, wouldn't the larger drivers require a little more $$ and a larger amp? Again, trying to keep the budget realistic.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM

How tall will the riser be? If it's tall enough, you could put a couple bass horns in it. I'm not up on the horn info, but there are a couple that use 10 inch subs I think that would fit in a 10-12 inch high riser. You should get WAY better bass than from some 8s.

But sub boxes don't need to be huge. There are plenty of 15s that will play nice with a smaller ( 20x20x20 inches) cube or so.

And for budget, you could do a pair of 15s and an amp for your price range without too much trouble.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-469
post #5 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
It's going to take a bunch of those 8's to get much output in room unless you are building a horn. On the other hand, a pair of 15's firing up into the underside of the couch would have more output than a whole gaggle of 8's, cost less, and would also make for a fun seating position.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM

If you can fit 12"s either up or side firing: 4 Infinity 1260Ws ($57 ea) with an iNuke 3000 ($300 w/o DSP, $400 w/ DSP) or EP4000. That should have pretty good output, especially with their close proximity.
Or you could double up with 8 1260Ws and an iNuke6000 for $860. That should fend off the inevitable upgraditis virus for awhile.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM

I will point you to by build, I really like it. I think I have a litle more money into it than you want but not much.
I DID NOT DESIGN IT you will have to get ahold of Oaklahoma wolf for any teck type of questions there is a link to his build in my build.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358970/2-wolfhorn-sdx-s-as-a-riser
post #8 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjax View Post

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and we are building a home theatre area into the mix. It will be approximately 900 sq. ft. (32'x28') of open area.

I'd offer a suggestion, but I am too upset with you. Your open area is bigger than my whole house! mad.gif

OK, I'm just kidding (about being mad, your open area really is bigger than my house).

How much head room do you have and how much of that can you comfortable take up with a platform? How tall you can make your riser will dictate the suggested solutions.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #9 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the responses!

For starters, I have 9.5' ceilings, so I was thinking a riser in the rear sofa section would be optimal This will actually be in the center of the room.
As it's going to be laid out, the front and rear are 28' walls, and the sides will be 32'. Along the front 28' wall will be the projector screen. Along the back wall will be a wet bar / full kitchen area. I was planning on having my electronics along the left side wall to keep the front area more open and less distracting during viewing. Also makes it nice when we decide to have parties.
I'l have to get a pic up to describe this better.

My reasoning for the 8"ers was to keep the platform down to a single step if possible. I am all for a good horn build, as floor space is not an issue.
Another thought was to possibly build 2, putting one on each side of the room, standing vertical.

FUN4ME, I like that design idea. Considering 2 of those at the moment.

BeerParty, I know what you mean about space. We lived small for quite a while.
This place was our dream house. We built huge 6 years ago, but the inside was very unfinished. Easier to put up a SOLID exterior and structure, then finish everything inside with cash, than to have a huge mortgage on a puny finished house we hated. We are now in finishing stages on a cash only basis. I was lucky to squeeze this into the budget. The little lady was very generous on this one. We have finished everything but the 1800sq.ft. basement to this point. Now it's all framed in, just waiting for the HVAC and drywall to get done. Added 3 bedrooms, a workout room, a utility room, and a full bath, plus the entertainment room.

on the thought of the 12"ers, is there a good horn design (I still like the riser idea) that utilizes them in an up/down firing position/? The price point sure looks right for what I'm doing.

Thanks again everyone. Wish I'd found this place long ago. I''d probably be knee deep in toys at this point. smile.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Have a look at this link it will help you with riser height.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/505237/riser-height-calculator

Good luck
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page