Bought Energy Veritas mains and center. Need a sub and amp to DIY. Taking suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I pulled a trigger and purchased Energy Veritas 6.2 mains along with a 5.2 center. These will be driven by a Denon 2112CI. I have the skills and the tools needed to build a DIY sub. I come here for advice on which driver and an amp to pick up to match the Energy speakers.

The output will be roughly 50/50 HT and 2.0 music. I want a sealed setup for the sub.

Initial sub chiice is one 15 inch Dayton Titanic Mk III from parts express 800 watts RMS @ 4 ohm http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-420&scqty=1

For the amp I choose Crown XLS 1500 amp http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=245-502&scqty=1. Will I run into any issues using a pro amp for a HT application? Any special cables or adapters? I figure with this amp I will also have headroom.

Price for the 2 is $600 from parts express. This is roughly my budget, which can be upped if I get a significant performance upgrade.

With that said is this a good combo? I'm open for tips/advice/suggestions for everything: (amp, driver(s), planning, install)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
sealed subs tend to need some eq to bring up the lower end.

one budget amp with dsp is the behringer inuke3000dsp. 620 real watts per channel at 4 ohms. easy to use and very flexible eq is built in.

an alternative driver is the rss460ho 18". works well in 3.5-4.0 cubic feet sealed. ricci put one on the bench, usable excursion to 20mm. triple shorting rings. decent looking.

a little over your budget for one sub, but the upgrade path is in place for the second sub (only need to buy the driver) and everybody doubles down. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

sealed subs tend to need some eq to bring up the lower end.
one budget amp with dsp is the behringer inuke3000dsp. 620 real watts per channel at 4 ohms. easy to use and very flexible eq is built in.
an alternative driver is the rss460ho 18". works well in 3.5-4.0 cubic feet sealed. ricci put one on the bench, usable excursion to 20mm. triple shorting rings. decent looking.
a little over your budget for one sub, but the upgrade path is in place for the second sub (only need to buy the driver) and everybody doubles down. :-)

Thanks! Parts express folks seem to love those Titanic subs.Did you recommend the 18 incher due to more cone area? I dig the amp and its EQ. Would it be safe to run 1 sub in bridged 4 ohm mono? Is that too much power? Alternatively, is it safe to run that amp in 4 ohm stereo with the second channel unoccupied (only 1 sub). I apologize if these are obvious noob questions.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
"Thanks! Parts express folks seem to love those Titanic subs.Did you recommend the 18 incher due to more cone area?"

the 460 will probably sound a hair better on the top end with its higher sensitivity and better inductance control. it will also have higher low end spl because it can move more total air.

"I dig the amp and its EQ. Would it be safe to run 1 sub in bridged 4 ohm mono? Is that too much power?"

it should be fine, so long as you don't get stupid running 10hz sine waves through it in free air.

edit: you can also limit the voltage in the dsp in order to prevent putting too much power through your driver.

one per channel is very safe power, almost underpowered. i was just suggesting a conservative approach.

"Alternatively, is it safe to run that amp in 4 ohm stereo with the second channel unoccupied (only 1 sub)."

yes it is safe. our preference for symmetry causes lots of folks to ask this question, but this is one place where our intuition fails us.

"I apologize if these are obvious noob questions."

no worries. questions are questions. the foolish thing would be not to ask.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 726
I'll ocmment in on the XLS1500 if you go that route. The Drivecore series all have the ability to accept RCA and XLR, so no need for adapters. The Drivecore is also perfect as it's input sensitivity is able to handle readily the pro/consumer argument. I ran a 1500 and a 2000 for some time and loved them. I am actually looking at another couple drivecores to replace my XPA-5 to gain the available gain controls I lack right now. truly wonderful amps, but as LTD suggested the Behringer is a wonderful piece of equipment and the onboard EQ is an added plus for sure.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I did more research on using pro audio gear in HT and got a little discouraged reading the various discussions about the voltage differences and whatnot. Little disappointed, as I really wanted a pro amp, but at this point I don't want to spend more time researching how to properly use/tweak this pro audio gear for HT. With that said I bought a Dayton 1000 watt plate amp, and bought LTD02's recommendation on that Dayton 18 inch RSS460 HO.

I usually forget to take pictures of my work, but I may post a build log. This will be my first sub build. This is also my first HT upgrade in a decade. I'm very excited about my system, which will be arriving throughout this and next week smile.gif

Denon 2112CI receiver
Energy Veritas 6.2 mains
Energy Veritas 5.2 center
Dayton RSS466 HO 18 inch sub (sealed build)
Dayton 1000 watt sub amp

I may use use my old Fluance speakers for surrounds
post #7 of 8 Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 726
That was kind of what I was alluding to above with the drivecore series and their ability to do very well with consumer gear. Nonetheless, the plate amp you got will work just fine.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #8 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I personally think that Dayton 1000 watt plate amp will work great for that Dayton 18HO! Keep us updated on the build, I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page