Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Hi Ed,

Try this to capture screen shot: REW.jpg 80k .jpg file

Also I believe Bwaslo measured on-axis with the waveguide which might make a little difference, but prob not much.

Looks like the deltalite has a F3 80-90ish? Is that what your seeing/hearing also?

I forget what size cabs are the deltalites in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
For your screen shot technique, the functionality is built into REW - see here.

As far as your graphs, it looks to me like they confirm that you built the speakers properly, and then you measured them as you described. The questions is, what do you want to do or learn? (That sounds like a smart-alec response, but that's not how I mean it.)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hi Ed,

Try this to capture screen shot: REW.jpg 80k .jpg file

Also I believe Bwaslo measured on-axis with the waveguide which might make a little difference, but prob not much.

Looks like the deltalite has a F3 80-90ish? Is that what your seeing/hearing also?

I forget what size cabs are the deltalites in?

Nick (HF),
Big DUH moment for me on the screenshot capability (still pounding my forehead).

Yeah that F3 point would be consistent with what I hear (and expected). The volume is 2cu'

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

For your screen shot technique, the functionality is built into REW - see here.

As far as your graphs, it looks to me like they confirm that you built the speakers properly, and then you measured them as you described. The questions is, what do you want to do or learn? (That sounds like a smart-alec response, but that's not how I mean it.)

HF,

Hey I already learned an easy way to capture graphs - Thanks! Actually just sharing the status and where I'm at with my findings (to date).

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'll go ahead and bump this thread, because I had the chance to see (and HEAR!) these beauties last weekend. Craig (cuzed) was kind enough to have me over to his house to check out his theater. His setup, and especially the SEOS mains, really impressed me.

I'll keep this short, but my biggest takeaways were these:
High sensitivity means DYNAMICS! The peaks, even in content I know well, are so much bigger than I ever experience them at home.
But at the same time they're incredibly clean. Loud crashing glass on my speakers at home makes my ears hurt. Loud crashing glass at Craig's house sounds like loud crashing glass.
The Duratex finish really looks good. I'd never seen it in person before, and I was surprised how professional looking a speaker it makes. Between the finish, the nice looking grills, and the cool 3D logos he's made, Craig's L and R easily pass for commercially produced speakers.
The blending between the BUC and the L and R was perfect as far as I could tell.
Sitting way off to the sides sounds nearly the same as sitting right in the sweet spot. I've never experienced that before. It was actually a bit weird, as when I sit off to the left my mind expects to hear nothing but the left speaker. Not here. The image stayed almost dead center. I loved it.

Spending time in a real home theater makes me appreciate how much room I really have for improvement in my own setup. I really want a bigger screen now. The attention to detail visible in those speakers and in the entire room is really extraordinary.

I'll definitely be building some SEOS mains. The cleanness and loudness of the peaks in soundtracks is what sells me on them. Between that and the rock solid image from seat to seat, I can't see ever going to low efficiency, omnidirectional speakers for home theater again. I was initially a little concerned about horns. The only time I've really listened to horns before was with some fairly inexpensive Klipsch speakers. I heard a lot of honk in them, and I really didn't like them for it. I was listening specifically for that during this session, and I never heard even a hint of it. We listened to a wide selection of music, thinking it'd be a little more revealing. They still sounded great.

Thanks again to Craig and his family for inviting me into their home. And thanks for the good beer and the great conversation. I look forward to seeing you again. Next time I'll host, and you can give a listen to whatever SEOS designs I end up building!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

I'll go ahead and bump this thread, because I had the chance to see (and HEAR!) these beauties last weekend. Craig (cuzed) was kind enough to have me over to his house to check out his theater. His setup, and especially the SEOS mains, really impressed me.

I'll keep this short, but my biggest takeaways were these:
High sensitivity means DYNAMICS! The peaks, even in content I know well, are so much bigger than I ever experience them at home.
But at the same time they're incredibly clean. Loud crashing glass on my speakers at home makes my ears hurt. Loud crashing glass at Craig's house sounds like loud crashing glass.
The Duratex finish really looks good. I'd never seen it in person before, and I was surprised how professional looking a speaker it makes. Between the finish, the nice looking grills, and the cool 3D logos he's made, Craig's L and R easily pass for commercially produced speakers.
The blending between the BUC and the L and R was perfect as far as I could tell.
Sitting way off to the sides sounds nearly the same as sitting right in the sweet spot. I've never experienced that before. It was actually a bit weird, as when I sit off to the left my mind expects to hear nothing but the left speaker. Not here. The image stayed almost dead center. I loved it.

Spending time in a real home theater makes me appreciate how much room I really have for improvement in my own setup. I really want a bigger screen now. The attention to detail visible in those speakers and in the entire room is really extraordinary.

I'll definitely be building some SEOS mains. The cleanness and loudness of the peaks in soundtracks is what sells me on them. Between that and the rock solid image from seat to seat, I can't see ever going to low efficiency, omnidirectional speakers for home theater again. I was initially a little concerned about horns. The only time I've really listened to horns before was with some fairly inexpensive Klipsch speakers. I heard a lot of honk in them, and I really didn't like them for it. I was listening specifically for that during this session, and I never heard even a hint of it. We listened to a wide selection of music, thinking it'd be a little more revealing. They still sounded great.

Thanks again to Craig and his family for inviting me into their home. And thanks for the good beer and the great conversation. I look forward to seeing you again. Next time I'll host, and you can give a listen to whatever SEOS designs I end up building!

Matt,

Thanks for the kind words!
It was great having "pitviper" stop by for an afternoon to evaluate my speakers with various tunes / demo material, and just generally comparing notes on all things HT.
Definitely a good time.

For me this was the successful culmination of my speaker build, and I'm happy to share! This is about the 6th time I have had the chance to meet and become acquainted with a fellow AVSer in person. Lots of community and great people in this hobby. (Heck last fall I even got to meet Hanes in person).

I'm looking forward to seeing which SEOS direction Matt takes? As for learning from others and making improvements; I'm looking forward to experiencing Matt's LFE-IB setup.
Always something to be learned here. Matt - I'm glad you enjoyed your day!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I really must find a business conference in Chicago... wink.gif
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brad,
Sounds good - let us know and we'll fix you up!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

(Heck last fall I even got to meet Hanes in person).

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Cuzed2, Really nice looking mancave! While we all want the custom full fledged home theater most of us will never have one. I like these style of HT's because they show that great video and audio performance doesn't cost significantly more than a big screen and 5.1 system from Best Buy. Bravo to you Sir!

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

great video and audio performance doesn't cost significantly more than a big screen and 5.1 system from Best Buy

Yeah that's what we tell our wives until they find that box of receipts we've been hiding

p.s. Ha hanes, love that movie
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Cuzed2, Really nice looking mancave! While we all want the custom full fledged home theater most of us will never have one. I like these style of HT's because they show that great video and audio performance doesn't cost significantly more than a big screen and 5.1 system from Best Buy. Bravo to you Sir!

Thank You NWC!
It's been a lot of fun - I get down there every time I can.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 05-11-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Yeah that's what we tell our wives until they find that box of receipts we've been hiding

That's why I burn my receipts :-)

p.s. Ha hanes, love that movie

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

No why didn't I think of that? smile.gif
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

If Erich ever gets me the parts wink.gif I'm working on a 100db 3 way that's 12" tall and 40" wide and configurable for L&R biggrin.gif If it all works out it should be insane!
Parts list teaser?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nice build, do you have a link for where you bought the kit? I can't find it on the diysoundgroup site.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

Nice build, do you have a link for where you bought the kit? I can't find it on the diysoundgroup site.

The "big-Mal" center never made it to a complete kit. The NS6 drivers are NLA.

The Deltalight mains should be on the DIY site.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: NS6 drivers - you can still get them, but nowhere near as cheap as they were - via hoarders on eBay
Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Re: NS6 drivers - you can still get them, but nowhere near as cheap as they were - via hoarders on eBay

yep. i have 4 that i bought from Ebay. i paid exactly $93.50 with shipping for them. i was going to build a Big Mal myself but went in another direction.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hopefully somebody can help me....

I bought Brian's Big mal and I'm having a difficult time understanding how to wire the ns6s...

Are the centers wired parallel and the outers in series? Or is each pair wired parallel?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

Hopefully somebody can help me....

I bought Brian's Big mal and I'm having a difficult time understanding how to wire the ns6s...

Are the centers wired parallel and the outers in series? Or is each pair wired parallel?

I'm basically taking a guess here, as I don't know this speaker... But I believe they would be wired in series-parallel configuration. See sketch.
Hopefully someone else with knowledge of this speaker can back this up also.

measure twice, cut once...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspd View Post

I'm basically taking a guess here, as I don't know this speaker... But I believe they would be wired in series-parallel configuration. See sketch.
Hopefully someone else with knowledge of this speaker can back this up also.

aspd,
Excellent another "Big-Mal coming on-line!
Hold on; just as soon as I get the details to my photo-bucket account you will have your answer(S)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Each pair is wired in parallel.

You got the finished crossover with it right?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You ask and you shall receive! The details below were originally from Bill Waslo. I am assuming (hoping) that for the purposes of another Big-Mal build that he wouldn't mind me sharing....

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

You ask and you shall receive! The details below were originally from Bill Waslo. I am assuming (hoping) that for the purposes of another Big-Mal build that he wouldn't mind me sharing....

I have this schematic, but the crossover Matt built (which is amazing) has me scratching my head. It's easy to know what's happening on your own crossover network, however, when somebody else builds it, especially with all joints soldered on the bottom side of the board, it becomes difficult, especially for a hobbyist like me.

It has two separate terminals, one for the outer woofers and one for the inner woofers....
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 AM

I can't really see the pic (damn iPhone) but looks like each pair is in parallel..... And the outer woofers are after the inner with the added capacitor...

Thanks for your help everybody!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Inners are in parallel with each other as set (#1).
Outers are in parallel with each other and the capacitor as the other set (#2)

set one and set 2 are hooked to each other via series connection

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Matt (mtg90) built the crossover cool.gif

yes, he did a great job.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian