72 hours. ~$1000. Lotta Fantastic New Bass for the Living Room!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
DIY Speakers and Subs > 72 hours. ~$1000. Lotta Fantastic New Bass for the Living Room!!!
bodhisafa's Avatar bodhisafa 08:21 PM 11-28-2012
popalock,

He is referring to his own build (dual front facing cabs)rolleyes.gif

lukeamdman's Avatar lukeamdman 11:55 AM 11-29-2012
biggrin.gif
popalock's Avatar popalock 01:23 PM 11-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

popalock,
He is referring to his own build (dual front facing cabs)rolleyes.gif

Oh, thanks luke...

Wait a second? You aren't luke.

luke's build was one of my primary sources of inspiration for my LMS-U build. I'm very familiar with his subs, the cabinet that house them and the various videos he's made showing his walls flexing...

However, I wasn't aware that he had people speaking on his behalf?

Thank you for your input and the "rolleyes.gif".
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 06:56 AM 01-22-2013
Just wanted to add that I swapped out my Crown XLS 2500 for a Crown xti 4002 after getting some bizarre clipping from the 2500. Not really terribly surprised, either- I was asking a lot out of what it is.

The 4002 is outstanding: sending ~2,000 w's to either cab @ 2ohms and having zero problems with even the toughest of material.

James
BassThatHz's Avatar BassThatHz 09:53 AM 01-22-2013
The only problem with the XTI's is that they overheat when pushed hard. Other than that they actually do a good job at remaining absolutely silient for several hundred watts of output.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 11:38 AM 01-28-2013
^ Oh, I haven't run into that, thankfully. But then again, I stop at the 125-130db range, lol.

I have pushed them hard enough, long enough, though to the point where the fans REALLY kick in. Completely inaudible of course during that kind of output, but you can clearly hear them if you reduce the volume considerably.

I'm very happy with the 4002, thus far.

James
Linkwitz Riley's Avatar Linkwitz Riley 09:36 AM 01-30-2013
Looks great...I'm thinking about doing a very similar build, but I'm going to wait until the Dayton Audio Ultimax 15" driver debuts in a month or two before I decide. They would have to be awfully good to change my mind from Quad 18s though!
Linkwitz Riley's Avatar Linkwitz Riley 06:16 AM 03-20-2013
James, now that you've lived with these new drivers/subs for a while, what's your long term impression of the HOs? Have you been able to notice any difference in sound due to the drivers breaking in? Have you tried to do any additional equalization (LT, Crown's DSP, Behringer unit)? Everyone says these drivers have ridiculously good midbass but some have said that ULF could be better. I know you said you were pretty pleased with your initial results...just wondered if you had tried tweaking anything. I think I've decided to go with this driver as well..just have to wait until PE gets some more back in stock. Any tips for those of us still contemplating a build with these? (enclosure volume chosen, encl. materials, bracing, power requirement, eq, etc.)? I value your feedback...thanks!
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 08:48 AM 03-20-2013
thanks for the compliment linkwitz. As for the drivers sounding any different since the build...not really. What has affected the sound more than anything has been re-orientating them towards the center to accommodate my new 84" screen...

Sooner than later I'm going to grab a mini dsp usb mic and find out what I'm getting, but on the whole I'm still enjoying terrific output and response- even in their current, less-than-ideal configuration. Personally, I'm very cautious about subjective opinions on how subwoofers sound, to be honest- but I also realize it's all we have sometimes. With graphs out there showing significant in-room output well below 15hz with multiples of these, I really doubt there's a lot of merit for those claiming these do not offer terrific low bass...again, especially with multiples. Getting into the single digit 130db hz club is something many of us simply do not desire nor chase for many reasons, with my personal leaning being that it represents such a miniscule amount of available content that seems to erode a ton of value when weighed against the cost, time, and space requirements. YMMV.

As far as those considering a build, with diysoundgroup now offering great 18" cabs you merely assemble and finish them to your liking there's now a fantastic, stackable option for those who do not wish to go all the way with a bona-fide, ground-up DIY dual-build. If you do decide to go for a complete build, I'm quite happy with about 3.5 ^3's per cab...I know others have gone up to 4', sealed with some builds with great success.

Build-wise, I have found that a cab constructed of furniture graded plywood or baltic birch with a double front baffle, front to back bracing between the drivers, and a single 3" cross brace behind either driver creates a fantastically rigid, resonant-free cabinet. I realize others spend more time, money, and materials on bracing but I have yet to find that there's any real sonic benefits to it. To each, their own, though.

As far as amplification goes, I'm still very pleased with my Crown xti 4002- I find its 1600 watts per cab more than ample for my requirements...most could probably get by with even less/more economically for their space/listening habits.

Good luck with your build, I'm certain you will satisifed with the results.

James
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 06:37 AM 08-21-2013
just a note about a room change, here. I'm using my PJ outside during the summer on the weekend for movie nights, so I built a new component cabinet and pushed the subs back out towards the corners and it has- like I've found in the past- Improved the room response. About a 3-5 db increase in output meaning I'm using less amplifiers and the room just sounds better, in more spots, overall.

I doubt I will bring the screen back, simply too much of a sacrifice in the audio dept...I think it looks a lot better too. Shouldn't be in this house too much longer anyway.

Before:

After:

James
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 06:55 AM 08-21-2013
Looks great James. You should start a thread in the 'Whats your configuration' section as well. cool.gif
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 07:18 AM 08-21-2013
ha ha, I think I did a long long time ago...much different arrangement that's prolly good for a laugh by now. smile.gif

James
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 10:39 AM 08-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Looks great James. You should start a thread in the 'Whats your configuration' section as well. cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

ha ha, I think I did a long long time ago...much different arrangement that's prolly good for a laugh by now. smile.gif

James

Definitely! smile.gif

And although the new positioning looks great and with some nice corner loading wink.gif ... I would swap the positions of the left and right with the subs. Wider soundstage and greater stereo separation with subs positioned in the preferred 'thirds' room length.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 01:10 PM 08-21-2013
thanks Scott. Yeah the problem is I also have wides that went back in, lmao. And I cannot tell you how much better the bass is with the subs out there. Really sounds better, across the room. Plus I'm only about 15' wide up there, prolly has something to do with it.

James
Willie's Avatar Willie 01:23 PM 08-21-2013
The artwork and large pot give the space a little flair and draw the eyes away from the subs. I am thinking if I show my wife the pic of your setup she won't push back on adding subwoofers of similar stature .

Nice.

Willie
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 06:32 AM 08-22-2013
^ thanks. I pretty much wrecked all of that with the return of my wides...go figure. smile.gif

James
popalock's Avatar popalock 09:48 AM 08-22-2013
Really really digging the updated look. Looks like something out of a magazine.

Did you ever end up picking up the mini Mic? How are you liking it?
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 09:54 AM 08-22-2013
thanks popa, amazing what a little breathing room can pull off.

I balked on the mini mic as right when I was about to order was when all of the hoopla started with the bad cal files...or something like that???

Has that all settled down? Haven't checked in a good while. Also, isn't there a US vendor who offers a calibrated mic for a few more bucks? I''m forgetting the name, crap. Kinda went off the radar with me for awhile but I still want to get into it.

James
Mike-ht's Avatar Mike-ht 10:33 AM 08-22-2013
Cross•Spectrum Labs has the calibrated mics. http://www.cross-spectrum.com/
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 10:34 AM 08-22-2013
^ thanks, that's it. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Well after viewing the link I may have been thinking about something else, as I thought the mic (that I was remembering) wasn't the mini dsp or dayton version but if all has been worked out it doesn't matter anyway.

James
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 10:46 AM 08-22-2013
Quote:

thanks Scott. Yeah the problem is I also have wides that went back in, lmao. And I cannot tell you how much better the bass is with the subs out there. Really sounds better, across the room. Plus I'm only about 15' wide up there, prolly has something to do with it.

James

Oh duh! I totally forgot that you were running wides too. Lol!

Well in that case, carry on sir. smile.gif
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 12:46 PM 08-22-2013
^ Yeah but I tell ya it REALLY punches the above look in the gut. I'll post a pic and see what people think.

James
Mike-ht's Avatar Mike-ht 01:31 PM 08-22-2013
They used to carry the Behringer ECM800 as well, but stopped due to QC issues. That may have been what you are thinking of.

Quote:

^ thanks, that's it. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Well after viewing the link I may have been thinking about something else, as I thought the mic (that I was remembering) wasn't the mini dsp or dayton version but if all has been worked out it doesn't matter anyway.

James

Ozzie Isaac's Avatar Ozzie Isaac 02:55 PM 08-22-2013
Out of curiosity why go with the cross-spectrum mic? Looking at miniDSP they provide a cal file for their mics.

From the minidsp store:
Unique Calibration File Download
All UMIK-1 are calibrated with a unique calibration file. To download the calibration, look for the 7 digit Serial Number found on the body of the microphone.

1) Enter the serial number in the below form (700-XXXX format) to download the specific calibration file.

2) In your browser, click on File - > Save from your browser to save as a .txt extension.
nfraso's Avatar nfraso 04:35 PM 08-22-2013
Cross-Spectrum will calibrate to 5Hz, from their PDF MiniDSP only calibrates to 10Hz: http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product%20Brief%20-%20Umik.pdf

I think you also get 0°, 45° and 90° with Cross-Spectrum.
JohnDean's Avatar JohnDean 02:02 PM 08-28-2013
You don't happen to have a cutlist for these cabs do you? I've wished I built these instead of my dual opposed since I finished the first one.

Also with the mic talk. What's the difference between the miniDSP and Dayton's USB version both from Cross Spectrum?
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop