Quad Dayton Audio HF 15" build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had some problems with my SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer bottoming out in some movies, portshuffing.

I was thinking about buying another one, when my acoustician (spelling? smile.gif ) told me a DIY build would get me more output and probably better sounding too, for less money. I was sceptical at first about building something that could outperform a PB13-Ultra, but started to read up on how to build.

We decided to go with the Dayton Audio HF 15" elements. Four of them in 2 subs with ~255 liters/each of net volume, before adding element and bracing inside of the box. For power we chose the Inuke DSP6000. It gives ~1100RMS W in 8 ohm/channel resulting in about 550W per element.

Here are a few pictures I took from the build:

And here are they after 3 layers of paint. My Audiovector K3 signatures look like toothpicks wink.gif

And how do they sound? Well, after Audessy and some use of the Inuke DSP, I got a flat response from 100Hz down to 25Hz, with a small housecurve in the lower 20's. The sound from these are _amazing_. Outperforming the PB13-Ultra in both SPL, depth and quality of the sound. These integrate so much better with my fronts and center, seamless.

Here is a unsmoothed graph (before using a housecurve) from REW with a calibrated mick and loopback calibration on the soundcard. The dB-scale is as you can see, not calibrated. The volume was about as high as I use when listening to music. I don't expect it to look exactly like that tough when watching movies at 85dB+. Not at 5hz wink.gif

At this volume I had under 1% distortion from 10Hz to 80Hz, REW won't show distortion under 10Hz.

You will have to excuse my english smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 13
Looks real good. What do you think of the iNuke? I have a non DSP one n order (back order). I decided not to pay for the DSP because of the 20Hz limit.

post #3 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I think it's great, especially for the money it costs.
I took a chanse here, knowing about the 20Hz lower limit. But as you can see, I got support from the room again after 10Hz.
So as long as I put a little housecurve at 20Hz, it doesn't fall that much below 20Hz.

It does sound alot, so I put it in the other room = problem solved smile.gif
post #4 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Awesome job Jonas!!! They look intimidating in the room!
post #5 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you smile.gif

And I will agree on that, they are kind of mean looking wink.gif
post #6 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Jonas. First of all, excellent work. Secondly, I am curious as. To the size of the room and whether or not your room is sealed, or open to other roooms.

Also, do you mind sharing the dimensions of your enclosures?
post #7 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Jonas. First of all, excellent work. Secondly, I am curious as. To the size of the room and whether or not your room is sealed, or open to other roooms.
Also, do you mind sharing the dimensions of your enclosures?

Thanks smile.gif

The room is 620cm x 345cm x 217cm in the cellar. It is closed to other rooms.

The enclosures dimensions are: 104cm x 67cm x 42cm. Built with 22mm MDF, double 22's on the baffle. They are filled with rockwool with the correct density, leaving 10-15cm around the elements.

If you would like to see the entire room, you could take a look in my build thread. It's in swedish, but I beleive the pictures says it all smile.gif
The first pictures are from when we bought the house, 2 years ago, the ones in the middle are my first setup and the latest pics are from when I built it again from scratch with the help of my acoustician.

http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87691
post #8 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post

Thanks smile.gif
The room is 620cm x 345cm x 217cm in the cellar. It is closed to other rooms.
The enclosures dimensions are: 104cm x 67cm x 42cm. Built with 22mm MDF, double 22's on the baffle. They are filled with rockwool with the correct density, leaving 10-15cm around the elements.
If you would like to see the entire room, you could take a look in my build thread. It's in swedish, but I beleive the pictures says it all smile.gif
The first pictures are from when we bought the house, 2 years ago, the ones in the middle are my first setup and the latest pics are from when I built it again from scratch with the help of my acoustician.
http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87691

Excellent, I will read through your build thread. I am sure you are enjoying movies in the room now smile.gif
post #9 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 546
How did you get all those dowels to line up with the holes in the top piece? Or did you drill all the way though the top piece with it clamped on the box?
post #10 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 109
very well done.

i bet your thinking of some diy speakers now arent you?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #11 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post

Did you use Behringer UCA202 sound card by any chance?
post #12 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Great job on your boxes, that bracing looks incredible. What did you use as a template for the bracing panels? Glad you are enjoying them as well!

Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

How did you get all those dowels to line up with the holes in the top piece? Or did you drill all the way though the top piece with it clamped on the box?

A friend of my works as a carpenter, every piece is mounted like that and glued. It fits 100% perfect when you draw it in CAD. Then a machine takes care of the rest wink.gif I haven't used any spackle or sandpaper, it's so impressive to see the machines at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

very well done.
i bet your thinking of some diy speakers now arent you?

As a mather of fact, I am... My Audiovector isn't really made for my kind of listening (high volume...). It's either that or something like Procellas P6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Did you use Behringer UCA202 sound card by any chance?

I don't know where the soundcard's from, but it's sold from sofsci.com. It comes with a calibration file for the individual mic. Don't know how accurate it is, but probably good enough for a amateur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Great job on your boxes, that bracing looks incredible. What did you use as a template for the bracing panels? Glad you are enjoying them as well!
Andrew

Thanks! Template? I don't really know what your asking for, but my initial idea was a "flag" bracing like this one:

Then my carpenter friend came with the idea of the bracing we decided to use. He just drawed it into the CAD-program.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, didn't realize you had access to a CAD! Awesome, you are a lucky man. tongue.gif

With access to equipment like that, I don't think I'd ever stop building. eek.gif

post #15 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

The chanse is, I wont tongue.gif:cool:

I have some space left in my back right corner me I my acoustician's going to take a look at. I still have som decaytime at 24Hz we might build more for.
I have gone from 1600ms to about 500, but it would be great to get even lower. I just might have to ask my friend to cut out some more material smile.gif
post #16 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Great use of absorption and diffusion!

JSS
post #17 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Great use of absorption and diffusion!
JSS

Thank you smile.gif

I owe it all to my acoustician, he did a great job. The bass is so tight now with the short decaytimes.
I just have to get rid of my Audiovectors....the tweeter on these are a bit "too much" for my taste. Works with pop, but not metal and classic.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 705
I should have known you liked metal when I saw the swedish reference. Nice to have more metal-heads around smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #19 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Refused - New noise = one of the best. biggrin.gif

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page