Has anybody seen this type of driver before? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM
eXa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Look at the previous pictures and drawings and explanations. One crude easy way to put it is that the entire Sd of the back cone is compressed into the ventinghole that goes through the outer cone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Ignore the front driver. Look at the chamber for the rear driver. It is sealed except for the front opening. Examine the size of the chamber when the back driver is at its forward and backward limits. The chamber changes volume, with air being moved in and out through the front opening.

If the volume of air moved per mm of excursion is greater than that which would have been moved by a dustcap the diameter of the throat opening, effective SD is increased.

Interesting concept, but not entirely novel. And the additional limits the design places on suspension and thus excursion negates any benefit the increased SD attained.

post #63 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can we entirely forget the front cone? Isn't it pressurizing/rarefying the air in the chamber at the same time as the back cone? I just don't see any massive benefits justifying the added complexity/cost/size.
post #64 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 11
a math equation smeared across two voice coils.
yep.
you have to have valid math to get a patent .. because nobody owns math, a patent is there to represent the math - not the person executing the math.
..and if you lay those two coils on top of eachother, they would get twice as sophisticated or twice as dull?

a room that wants one would need to be more interiorly priced.
because with the toy on the front of the cone, the setup would need to look like some display, much like setting up christmas decorations.

one example might be building a circuit without a circuit board and wrapping all the bare metal in a wrap with glittered ribbon on it.
(take that phase)

and how about talking without feeling like i am feeding something to the moderators as a per slice of pi

i'm not dressing in camoflauge to play hide and seek with those people.
i've got two halfs of an equation .. and i try to own both of them.
(illegal to take 'em away too)

it's called me, myself, and whatever tf you are doing.

look at the gyroscope in your toe.

and dont forget we are chiseling into rocks for THE time line, looking at the sky out into the galaxy.
(and somebody to say maybe we are underground somewhere inside earth because there isnt enough evidence that we are not underground.)

because the only way to turn on the 'wire' of any cell phone walkie-talkie devices under your skin from the 1960's - 1980's is to be listening for it.
thoughts go well with the shape of numbers on the clock.
post #65 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
eXa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

Can we entirely forget the front cone? Isn't it pressurizing/rarefying the air in the chamber at the same time as the back cone? I just don't see any massive benefits justifying the added complexity/cost/size.

*sigh* This is exactly what has been previously explained in this thread...
The front of the rear cone is sealed of from the back of the front cone.
post #66 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
eXa

Quote:
Originally Posted by anwaypasible View Post

*snip* random gibberish *snip*.

Lol! biggrin.gif
post #67 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXa View Post

*sigh* This is exactly what has been previously explained in this thread...
The front of the rear cone is sealed of from the back of the front cone.

Please explain the huge benefits to the peons.
post #68 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM
eXa

Its already explained both in this thread and on the CoDrive site... now go do some reading.

(And i agree with previous statement. A normal 15" seemes like a better choice, atleast in theory.)
post #69 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Hello peon... guess what! No benefit that we can discern here, other than its inventor being able to brag that they possess a valid patent; I'm sure that comes in handy at cocktail parties. As for the mechanics and how it operates, just do yourself a favor and think about it some more since it's already been explained to death. It's up to you to figure out how it works, I know you can do it!
Quote:

Please explain the huge benefits to the peons.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #70 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

I do see how it works, what I wanted to hear from the resident geniuses is how this design is a great idea from a performance perspective. Forcing the Vd from a 10" driver through the small "port" in the outer driver seems, ... odd.
post #71 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Lol! biggrin.gif
I vote for either a Washington or Colorado resident:p

YID DIY
post #72 of 75 Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM
eXa

Quote:

I do see how it works, what I wanted to hear from the resident geniuses is how this design is a great idea from a performance perspective. Forcing the Vd from a 10" driver through the small "port" in the outer driver seems, ... odd.
I agree, that was my my initial thought too. If it has any decent amount of xmax i would think that chuffing could be a problem. If this 12" is to have the Sd of a 15" and "compete" it needs to have the xmax of good 15" drivers too.
And im imidiatly thinking about the JBL W15gti since they both have similar motors. But if it hasnt got the xmax to compete, and the W12GTI moves just as much air, then there is no point really.
post #73 of 75 Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Lets face it, they are wasting a good motor design on a bad cone design.
Quote:

I agree, that was my my initial thought too. If it has any decent amount of xmax i would think that chuffing could be a problem. If this 12" is to have the Sd of a 15" and "compete" it needs to have the xmax of good 15" drivers too.
And im imidiatly thinking about the JBL W15gti since they both have similar motors. But if it hasnt got the xmax to compete, and the W12GTI moves just as much air, then there is no point really.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #74 of 75 Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM
eXa

Well, i wont be that pessimistc before i atleast see some tests. None of us has neither tested it nor seen any tests? But i am abit sceptical yes.
post #75 of 75 Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Well, i wont be that pessimistic before i at least see some tests. None of us has neither tested it nor seen any tests? But i am abit skeptical yes.

Good point being made. Pessimistic? Just being realistic is all that's needed here.

It's an argument oft cited, "just listen and see". The inherent physics involved dictate the limitations here. From all I can see, there's no uncharted territory here.

A previous post, in bold for clarity;
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Perhaps further exploration of the designers inclinations can be the genesis of some real beneficial technology.
This particular iteration however, no dice. Reading, ... I got to "bass speed", or however it was termed, and began to skim much more quickly. I don't appreciate the ambiguity of the tech page cut-away images and explanations etc. Seems purposefully a bit too "smoke and mirrors" for me.
Sound reproduction has characteristics. Here, given the wavelengths inherently involved with bass reproduction, yes .... it does seem as if they're creating an ill-conceived solution to a non-existent issue. Need more displacement? Add more drive units. Space confined? Use a 54mm Xmax RE. Either approach costs significantly less than the aforementioned product.
CoDrive, keep choppin' that wood. Hell, they got Keith Yates attention ..... eek.gif

I do however, applaud the experimentation.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page