New mic option from the good folks at Minidsp - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 137 Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I wonder how this mic compares to the Dayton omni-mic system or the XTZ room analyzer system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 137 Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Ordering today...very fortunate/happy to have a plug n play option that will work perfectly with REW.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #93 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Check the MiniDSP forum first to see what's going on with this mic. They had a great product and then started screwing around with it. Not to say it's still not a great mic, but apparently they are not aware of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra.

I pre-ordered mine when the original mics went out of stock. When I finally got it, the cal files were screwed up. Now there's something with the mic sensitivity. The 3rd (?) batch is higher sensitivity and lower SPL. With their current track record I would be leery that they screwed something else up when they did that.

I'm not trying to discourage anybody from buying one, just be aware. It does integrate very nicely with REW. I never used REW before and it was a snap to set up.

Tim
post #94 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Lovely. Of course I just ordered it- literally- 30 seconds ago. eek.gif

James

post #95 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

See here for the proposed resolution (the last post, currently): http://www.minidsp.com/forum/18-umik-questions/8678-low-quality-design-or-faulty-mic-

I'm sure someone who is much more inclined in this area than I can explain if their "fix" is feasible.

I seem to have radar for walking into this nonsense.

James

post #96 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I already emailed them and demanded a cancellation/refund of my order if a good mic/calibration file cannot be shipped from the jump. I simply have neither the time nor the expertise to play games with this stuff and I'm already nearly infuriated with my stupid luck.

James

post #97 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

See here for the proposed resolution (the last post, currently): http://www.minidsp.com/forum/18-umik-questions/8678-low-quality-design-or-faulty-mic-

I'm sure someone who is much more inclined in this area than I can explain if their "fix" is feasible.

I seem to have radar for walking into this nonsense.

James
What jumps out at me in that thread is the use of an external card. The beauty of a USB mic is that you don't need one, or a mixer, and the less hardware and cables involved the better off you are. I use HolmImpulse with the stock el-cheapo on-board card in my Toshiba Satellite. It calibrates to dead flat from 5Hz to 20kHz, including the amp, which I had in the loop at unity gain when I calibrated.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #98 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Correct and precisely why I chose this option. I wanted to plug a mic into my laptop and a cable into my AVR and be ready to go.

I can't wait to find out that my laptop's soundcard or something else won't work with REW/outputting tones.

James

post #99 of 137 Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm not at all familiar with the details of calibration mics. I bought it based on the first batch, which was raved about. Soon after I got mine, people found the calibration files were screwed up. New calibration files were put online. Then they changed the accuracy (I think it said accurate to 15Hz, now it claims 20Hz, iirc).

Now there's something with the noise floor and sensitivity.

These things may not make all that much difference to the casual user (or maybe they do, I have no idea), but I think it's important to be aware. Apparently the mic is pretty accurate without a cal file, so take it fwiw.

Tim
post #100 of 137 Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
One thing that I find disturbing is that the old cal files have changed. If I click on the link in the e-mail they sent me for either mic I have, the cal file is different than the original. The value for nearly every frequency is different and it only goes down to 20hz whereas the originals go down to 4.6hz. What a bummer.
post #101 of 137 Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 15
Now I'm lost! I've been looking at laptops and I'm just about ready to buy one that I will be using for REW. Have been trying to wrap my head around the REW but I know I won't begin to understand it until I start actually using the software and now this pops up with the UMIK-1.

I don't know what to do. Should I get this mic or one of the other ones? I know so little about this stuff and I wanted to get this mic because it seems that it's the easiest one to use. Again, I don't know what to do.

Al
post #102 of 137 Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Now I'm lost! I've been looking at laptops and I'm just about ready to buy one that I will be using for REW. Have been trying to wrap my head around the REW but I know I won't begin to understand it until I start actually using the software and now this pops up with the UMIK-1.

I don't know what to do. Should I get this mic or one of the other ones? I know so little about this stuff and I wanted to get this mic because it seems that it's the easiest one to use. Again, I don't know what to do.

Al

As a minidsp mic owner I would tell you to get one of these and be done with it:
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html

Minidsp customer service has been a bit of a mess as of late and I wished I would have gone with the above.

As for REW, just follow the step by step posted in the audio theory sub forum. Easy peasy. Definitely make sure you buy a laptop that has HDMI.
post #103 of 137 Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

As a minidsp mic owner I would tell you to get one of these and be done with it:
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html

Minidsp customer service has been a bit of a mess as of late and I wished I would have gone with the above.

As for REW, just follow the step by step posted in the audio theory sub forum. Easy peasy. Definitely make sure you buy a laptop that has HDMI.

Thanks!
I nearly got a laptop this morning but decided to give it a litlle more time to do some more research.

Al
post #104 of 137 Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The situation currently is more complicated than most here probably are aware of... I don't really want to repeat myself in every forum and the saga of the second batch is a long one, so you might want to read the most recent 8 threads over on their UMIK help forum if you already own a UMIK from the second batch (what they are now calling RevB).... and especially the last 20 or so pages of the dedicated sticky UMIK thread over at HTS. I have my doubts about all the calibration files for both first and second batch UMIKs that have been released... if one is to believe the DevTeam, the third batch of UMIKs, which is what's now shipping, has all the issues of the past corrected but that remains to be seen as they've played that card a few times now only to lead to more disappointing revelations. They have not been forthcoming with releasing info they have about known issues until they are pressed very hard and then only half the story comes out... not very confidence inspiring to say the least.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #105 of 137 Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM
a|F

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Assuming I won't get much help from them, who can I send it to for a decent, inexpensive calibration?
post #106 of 137 Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Cross Spectrum Labs... they will do a basic calibration for $55 which includes return shipping, however you must pay to have it shipped to them. You'll have to contact them first. To find out more about their methods and their other calibration services go here.

However if you know your UMIK is from the second batch, you should be aware that (due to badgering by several of us second batch UMIK owners) they will be making a revised board available to be soldered in to replace the current flawed board... this board has yet to be manufactured. It isn't known with any assurance whether this will affect the freq calibration or not (it will definitely affect sensitivity factors as well as noise floor issues and those 1kHz spikes and overtones)... so to be on the safe side you might want to consider waiting until you install the revised board before paying to have a professional calibration done... that is IF you own a second batch UMIK (serial # 0190-0539)

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #107 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
IMO the good folks at MiniDSP should send new mics to all of the customers in the second batch. I'll return mine if they ship me one that performs as it should. I didn't pay to have to make internal repairs to the mic. What happens if I did attempt to make the delicate repair and screw it up? They should have tested the mics before shipping. As far as I'm concerned, they sent me a defective product. If the faults can be corrected with a simple download, then I can live with that. Otherwise, either a new mic or a refund.

I'm not interested in waiting weeks for them to get this resolved. They should stand behind their product. I tired of waiting for manufactures to do the right thing. It took AE a year and a half before I got my TD15M's.
post #108 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post

IMO the good folks at MiniDSP should send new mics to all of the customers in the second batch. I'll return mine if they ship me one that performs as it should. I didn't pay to have to make internal repairs to the mic. What happens if I did attempt to make the delicate repair and screw it up? They should have tested the mics before shipping. As far as I'm concerned, they sent me a defective product. If the faults can be corrected with a simple download, then I can live with that. Otherwise, either a new mic or a refund.

I am sympathetic with your position, and I agree that anyone with a bad mic should be entitled to a refund if that is what they want. But this is a product for DIYers, so I don't think it is unreasonable to offer the board swap if buyers are willing to do it. Who knows, the time and money saved could have positive benefits for everyone.
Quote:
I'm not interested in waiting weeks for them to get this resolved. They should stand behind their product. I tired of waiting for manufactures to do the right thing. It took AE a year and a half before I got my TD15M's.

That did stretch out much longer than I had hoped, too. My order was finally completed last week when I got my phase plugs. But it was a group buy, so it wasn't quite like placing a "normal" order. On the plus side, we did eventually get top-quality products. I've seen buys with other companies take even longer, and result in defective products or nothing at all.

I'm glad that there are small manufacturers making and selling innovative products. However, the buying experience is often not as good as buying a proven product from a more service-oriented, higher-volume vendor. Caveat emptor.

-Max
post #109 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I asked for a refund last Wednesday and it's been in a paypal "hold' for five days. I don't know what's going on with my money, but good luck to everyone else.

Perhaps I'll re-visit the idea when things get settled.

James

post #110 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

I am sympathetic with your position, and I agree that anyone with a bad mic should be entitled to a refund if that is what they want. But this is a product for DIYers, so I don't think it is unreasonable to offer the board swap if buyers are willing to do it. Who knows, the time and money saved could have positive benefits for everyone.
That did stretch out much longer than I had hoped, too. My order was finally completed last week when I got my phase plugs. But it was a group buy, so it wasn't quite like placing a "normal" order. On the plus side, we did eventually get top-quality products. I've seen buys with other companies take even longer, and result in defective products or nothing at all.

I'm glad that there are small manufacturers making and selling innovative products. However, the buying experience is often not as good as buying a proven product from a more service-oriented, higher-volume vendor. Caveat emptor.

-Max

Maybe the lesson learned is that, if possible, you should go with an established company. Who knows....I might just have to write this off and order a new mic from Cross Spectrum. http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html
Their mic isn't that much more expensive. Actually it might be about the same cost when you factor in shipping. They're also a domestic company.
I planned on purchasing the minidsp too but, after this experience, I'm entertaining alternatives. http://www.waf-audio.com/ Unfortunately I'll have to wait awhile and not be an early adopter because I'd rather not repeat the minidsp experience.

Like AE, the folks at minidsp could garner more sympathy if they'd keep their forum up to date with regular updates on problems or delays. It takes very little effort to maintain a consistent forum presence. I know of other small manufactures that are active on their own forums and audiophile forums.

After my AE experience, I believe that group buys are a gamble and you're probably better off going with vendors that have stock on hand. Like how are you supposed to retain enthusiasm for a diy project when it takes so long to get the parts?

-Roy
post #111 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the lesson learned is that, if possible, you should go with an established company. Who knows....I might just have to write this off and order a new mic from Cross Spectrum. http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html
Their mic isn't that much more expensive. Actually it might be about the same cost when you factor in shipping. They're also a domestic company.
I planned on purchasing the minidsp too but, after this experience, I'm entertaining alternatives. http://www.waf-audio.com/ Unfortunately I'll have to wait awhile and not be an early adopter because I'd rather not repeat the minidsp experience.

Like AE, the folks at minidsp could garner more sympathy if they'd keep their forum up to date with regular updates on problems or delays. It takes very little effort to maintain a consistent forum presence. I know of other small manufactures that are active on their own forums and audiophile forums.

After my AE experience, I believe that group buys are a gamble and you're probably better off going with vendors that have stock on hand. Like how are you supposed to retain enthusiasm for a diy project when it takes so long to get the parts?

-Roy

+1.

With every passing year I get a little bit more "guardedly optimistic" which is code for: "pay a bit more for a more secure product or service" and every time it seems I leave that mind-set I get burned...not terribly so, but enough to make thy hand smack thy forehead.

It's not to decapitate minidsp, they largely seem to be a reputable company offering good product...I'm just apparently too late in this case, of course.

James

post #112 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM

The thing that bugs me is that they released the device prematurely and not ready for prime time. Also there's an apparent lack of quality control. It seems like they would/should pull a few mics out from each shipment from their supplier and check if they met the specs.

-Roy
post #113 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

The thing that bugs me is that they released the device prematurely and not ready for prime time. Also there's an apparent lack of quality control. It seems like they would/should pull a few mics out from each shipment from their supplier and check if they met the specs.

-Roy

Funny, when I said this about MiniDSP over a year ago nobody wanted to hear it. Ah well. It's a shame these mic's aren't better, as an all-in-one calibrated usb mic would be excellent.
post #114 of 137 Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM

As sideways as things have gone with the UMIK, I wouldn't let that put you off the miniDSP. I've got 2 UMIK's and a 2X4. All work extremely well. I'd like to hear from some other first batch owners, as both my UMIK's are first batch, but as far as I can tell there is nothing or very little wrong with those first batch mics. I've compared both of mine against my ECM8000 from cross spectrum and it comes out close enough that I no longer feel the need to go through the hassle of setting up the ECM.

As for the miniDSP, I ordered one in the not too distant past and it arrived in a timely fashion and has performed flawlessly since I got it. At this point, I'd say any problems the company is having is limited to the UMIK's.
Quote:

-Roy
post #115 of 137 Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

As sideways as things have gone with the UMIK, I wouldn't let that put you off the miniDSP. I've got 2 UMIK's and a 2X4. All work extremely well. I'd like to hear from some other first batch owners, as both my UMIK's are first batch, but as far as I can tell there is nothing or very little wrong with those first batch mics. I've compared both of mine against my ECM8000 from cross spectrum and it comes out close enough that I no longer feel the need to go through the hassle of setting up the ECM.

As for the miniDSP, I ordered one in the not too distant past and it arrived in a timely fashion and has performed flawlessly since I got it. At this point, I'd say any problems the company is having is limited to the UMIK's.

If you ignore the QC, support, and shipping issues, sure!
post #116 of 137 Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

X2. My experience with them was less than stellar. I ended up cancelling my Mini DSP and UMIK. Kind of like a clone purchase. Some have been lucky, some not so much. For me, risk to reward wasn't worth it. I ended up with the UMM6 from CSL and have been happy.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #117 of 137 Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:

For the UMIK, I completely agree, for the miniDSP I do not.
post #118 of 137 Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the UMIK, I completely agree, for the miniDSP I do not.

Do you want to see pictures of my miniDSP with components missing and others soldered so bad they're raised off the board? I only have 7 of 8 channels working, though they did send me the missing component (ferrite inductor), I just haven't had time to replace it. They even said it should have never passed their QC with that missing, yet somehow, it did.
post #119 of 137 Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Do you want to see pictures of my miniDSP with components missing and others soldered so bad they're raised off the board? I only have 7 of 8 channels working, though they did send me the missing component (ferrite inductor), I just haven't had time to replace it.

I never said it wasn't possible to have a poor experience, nor did I question whether or not you yourself had one. A poor experience is possible with any company large or small. I merely disagreed with your characterization of the entire company since they generally have done, and do a much better job with miniDSP, than they have done with the UMIK. Do I really need to place a YMMV or explain this after every post? rolleyes.gif
post #120 of 137 Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never said it wasn't possible to have a poor experience, nor did I question whether or not you yourself had one. A poor experience is possible with any company large or small. I merely disagreed with your characterization of the entire company since they generally have done, and do a much better job with miniDSP, than they have done with the UMIK. Do I really need to place a YMMV or explain this after every post? rolleyes.gif

How about the fact they launched a product advertised to eq down to 10hz that was mostly useless below ~30hz? The multiple revisions of the original minidsp to deal with low io voltages? as a whole, they're not that fantastic of a company. At least they did end up sending me the inductors, maybe i'll replace that now.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page