New mic option from the good folks at Minidsp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Woke up this morning to find the minidsp newsletter in my mailbox. They are soon to release the 2x8 minidsp in a box--the kit is no longer your only option. Same form factor as the unbalanced 2x4 unit, only grey instead of black. $180.

Also, they now are offering an omni-directional condenser mic that comes with it's own unique cal file. 133 db limit and measures down to 5 Hz. Offered for $75. Not sure how good of a deal this is, because I don't currently have a calibrated mic myself but it seems interesting at first glance.

UMIK-1

The UMIK-1 is an omni-directional USB measurement microphone providing Plug & Play acoustic measurement. From speaker & room acoustic measurement to recording, this microphone provides low noise and accurate results you can rely on. Forget about driver installation, OS compatibility and un-calibrated mics. The Umik-1 is a USB Audio class 1 device automatically recognized by all Operating Systems (Windows/Mac/Linux). It is provided with a unique calibration file based on the serial number to insure an accurate measurement. Combined with REW software or other acoustic measurement software, it is the perfect match for a plug&play measurement system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Cool mic because it's USB otherwise it wouldn't be special. But this way it appears you don't need phantom power.

You will be limited by cord length though. For me this would be a big deal cause I need about 20ft.
post #3 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
No problem with the cord. You can get an extension. I would need about the same length.

So would you still need an external sound card with this?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #4 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1203
It sure does look like a Behringer ECM8000, which also exists as the Dayton Audio EMM6. Not identical, but very close, quite likely using the same element. The quality control on the Behringer has deteriorated as of late, but the Dayton has a calibration file, and it's cheaper than the Behringer too. The UMIK claims 5Hz response, the Dayton only 18Hz, but that distinction is of little significance to most of us. The Dayton is on sale right now for $38.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill it looks like the Dayton xlr so it would require phantom power. This one is USB

post #6 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

This one is USB
OK, didn't notice that. So it's probably a USB version of the Behringer/Dayton, and considering it saves you having to have a separate USB/XLR that makes it worth the price for the convenience aspect alone.

post #7 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

it must not need a separate sound card either. i have never seen one with USB OUT before so that saves money as well. this looks like a great deal!

post #8 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

yep. just read the description. no sound card needed.

The UMIK-1 is an omni-directional USB measurement microphone providing Plug & Play acoustic measurement. From speaker & room acoustic measurement to recording, this microphone provides low noise and accurate results you can rely on. Forget about driver installation, OS compatibility and un-calibrated mics. The Umik-1 is a USB Audio class 1 device automatically recognized by all Operating Systems (Windows/Mac/Linux). It is provided with a unique calibration file based on the serial number to insure an accurate measurement. Combined with REW software or other acoustic measurement software, it is the perfect match for a plug&play measurement system.

post #9 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it must not need a separate sound card either. i have never seen one with USB OUT before so that saves money as well. this looks like a great deal!
I don't use a separate sound card, even the cheesy on-board in my shop laptop calibrates to dead flat with HolmImpulse.

post #10 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

my iMac needs one. no RCA in

post #11 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Isn't this mic the same as the dayton?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-808

Correct me if i'm wrong as I know nothing about mics.
post #12 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what?

post #13 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
It is a mic that basically has a USB ADC built-in.

Parts Express is offering a Dayton version of the same thing: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-808

It looks quite similar to the mic used in the OmniMic kit. It seems to undercut the OmniMic significantly given how easy REW is to use. OmniMic does provide some extra functionality.

It is due to be released in January. I plan on picking one up so I don't have to use my external USB soundcard and phantom power unit. I also won't need external power since it will just run on my laptop's battery.

Tux, it appears they both use a standard USB plug so you should be able to buy a longer USB cable. There is likely an upper limit on how long, but I've used 20ft USB cables with other devices.
post #14 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

For what?

the only way for me to measure right now is with an external sound card. I don't have a USB mic

post #15 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only
the only way for me to measure right now is with an external sound card. I don't have a USB mic
That's the point of having a USB mic, you don't need an external card or pre-amp.

post #16 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM

Liked: 24
well the correction graph sure looks better than the galaxy cm140.
it's only 1db down at 5hz. relatively flat until 5hz, whereas the cm140 is only flat to 100hz.

umik-1 correction:

galaxy cm140 correction:

post #17 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal9 View Post

That's because the Galaxy is C weighted. Chances are both use the ubiquitous Panasonic capsule or a knock-off of it.

post #18 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Cool (and typically innovative) idea from miniDSP. The only thing that would make it better for some uses is both on axis and grazing incidence cal files. But that's minor, and since most people don't (and shouldn't) do much in the treble based on listening position measurements a very minor nitpick.
Quote:

Huh? I promise your iMac has a built-in sound card.

I used to use an Audyssey mike straight into the mike-in on my MacBook in a pinch. That's good enough for most uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

It is a mic that basically has a USB ADC built-in.

Parts Express is offering a Dayton version of the same thing: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-808

Interesting. Though it's also worth mentioning that one can get a pretty good USB mike for free (and measurement software with tones for all eight channels, too) with an Anthem AVR, and Paradigm's PBK kit is I think around $100 with the same mike for those who prefer to see before they buy. I should send my Anthem mike to Cross Spectrum, to see how it compares with the Dayton EMM-6 I bought from Herb last year.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #19 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

i didnt realize i could use an Audyssey mic. How well would that work?

post #20 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 445
So... You can buy USB extensions? I didn't know that. I need one for the keyboard/mouse receiver on my HTPC. Its in a closet 12ft away.

That makes this mic pretty attractive to me. One less component to deal with.
post #21 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i didnt realize i could use an Audyssey mic. How well would that work?

Perfectly adequately for lots of things, such as for instance getting the the best blend between mains and subs. Not as well for designing speakers, or for EQ'ing very deep bass for people who are into that sort of thing.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #22 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Perfectly adequately for lots of things, such as for instance getting the the best blend between mains and subs. Not as well for designing speakers, or for EQ'ing very deep bass for people who are into that sort of thing.

hmm. i want one that works well using a minidsp for my subs

post #23 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

it's only 1db down at 5hz. relatively flat until 5hz, whereas the cm140 is only flat to 100hz.
umik-1 correction:

if its really this flat this is a super bargain considering the dayton emm6 response is nowhere near this good

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #24 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

hmm. i want one that works well using a minidsp for my subs

I've used one for that. It works fine. They do, IIRC, have some rolloff below 30Hz, but take that into account and you're good to go.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #25 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I used to use an Audyssey mike straight into the mike-in on my MacBook in a pinch. That's good enough for most uses.
Interesting. Though it's also worth mentioning that one can get a pretty good USB mike for free (and measurement software with tones for all eight channels, too) with an Anthem AVR, and Paradigm's PBK kit is I think around $100 with the same mike for those who prefer to see before they buy. I should send my Anthem mike to Cross Spectrum, to see how it compares with the Dayton EMM-6 I bought from Herb last year.
i have the anthem arc mic. don't think you could use the mic with rew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That's because the Galaxy is C weighted. Chances are both use the ubiquitous Panasonic capsule or a knock-off of it.
i thought the galaxy is supposed to be a mic preamp and just output all the signal it gets in line level to the soundcard?

post #26 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

***. Though it's also worth mentioning that one can get a pretty good USB mike for free (and measurement software with tones for all eight channels, too) with an Anthem AVR, *** I should send my Anthem mike to Cross Spectrum, to see how it compares with the Dayton EMM-6 I bought from Herb last year.
i have the anthem arc mic. don't think you could use the mic with rew.

I don't know about REW, as I've not used that program. I have used my Anthem mike successfully with the gold standard measurement program for hobbyists, FuzzMeasure. (Other top-tier measurement programs, such as OmniMic, come with a mike designed to work with the software.)

There's no technical reason, I wouldn't think, why the Anthem mike would work with FuzzMeasure but not with lesser programs.

True, the cal file is locked in a proprietary format. But I'm not too concerned about these. These Panasonic capsules and well-made knockoffs (basically that's what all value-priced measurement mikes use) are pretty good. For example, look at the comparison of the cal files for my Dayton EMM-6 (factory and Cross Spectrum Labs) here. If you don't want to click on the link, the gist is that not placing the mike with lab-grade precision will make more of a difference.

But if you're really, really concerned about the lack of calibration, here's a little secret: run Anthem Quick Measure in the ARC software, then without moving speaker or mike, run the same sweep in FuzzMeasure or a lesser measurement program. You can construct a good-enough "cal file" from the difference in the graphs, if you think they're warranted. Hey, you'e given me an idea for another blog post! smile.gif

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #27 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

But if you're really, really concerned about the lack of calibration, here's a little secret: run Anthem Quick Measure in the ARC software, then without moving speaker or mike, run the same sweep in FuzzMeasure or a lesser measurement program. You can construct a good-enough "cal file" from the difference in the graphs, if you think they're warranted. Hey, you'e given me an idea for another blog post! smile.gif

Cute idea.  Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #28 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I don't know about REW, as I've not used that program. I have used my Anthem mike successfully with the gold standard measurement program for hobbyists, FuzzMeasure. There's no technical reason, I wouldn't think, why it would work with FuzzMeasure but not with lesser programs.
True, the cal file is locked in a proprietary format. But I'm not too concerned about these. These Panasonic capsules and well-made knockoffs (basically that's what all value-priced measurement mikes use) are pretty good. For example, look at the cal files (factory and Cross Spectrum Labs) for my Dayton EMM-6 here. If you don't want to click on the link, the gist is that not placing the mike with lab-grade precision will make more of a difference.
i'm gonna have to try them back with rew once i get back home. your suggestion on the quick measure to create a calibration file is brilliant! tho i wouldn't exactly call rew as lesser program.

i did clicked on the link and get a 404

post #29 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i did clicked on the link and get a 404

Sorry, my fault. I inadvertently lopped an "l" off the URL (.htm rather than .html). It's fixed now in post 26.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #30 of 137 Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I got the same email as op. I ordered the mic earlier today. I guess ill do a review when it comes in. darn shipping was $20 btw
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page