Quad UXL-18s K2FAST4U's Build Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is my first DIY build. I have been lurking around the forum for a while and I have learned a lot. My current set up is a HSU VTF-15H. The HSU does well but with my large living room ~8000ft^3 and my love for bass it doesn't quite keep up. When I was in CA for training edoggrc51 was nice enough to demo his quad LMS Ultras for me. His set up is killer. I knew after that I wanted something similar. I was going to do 2 Ultras then maybe add 2 more later. Then I started reading a few UXL threads. I thought well I could do 4 UXLs for around the same price as 2 Ultras. So I decided to go that way. I went with 2 20" cubes and a dual opposed 20x24x30 cabinet. I did double baffle rears and triple baffle fronts. I used MDF and PL. Also a nail gun is a life saver. I will be powering these with a FP10000Q clone amp. MiniDSP and REW will be taking care of the EQ'ing.

I will be finishing these up next weekend. I'm going to use Duratex paint and magnet grill covers. I should have my 4th UXL by next weekend just in time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Good call on the UXL's!! Good looking build!!! I'm sure it's gonna blow the house down! hahaha

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 24 Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Everything looks to be in order smile.gif
post #4 of 24 Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Looking great! Subscribed for listening impressions to come. They're going to blow you away, pun intended. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Got the first sub finished late last night. I will get some more pictures today and hopefully finish the other two.

post #6 of 24 Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Nice! Fire that baby up!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #7 of 24 Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 722
screw the pictures, go listen! Then take some pics biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #8 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Presents for the family and presents to myself biggrin.gif

Nothing like a dual opposed UXL sub as an end table!!

I got everything hooked up and working last night. Ran audyssey on my 4311 but didn't get time to run REW or mess with the MiniDSP. I will get to that over the weekend when I have more time. I watched some clips from TIH with subs at -5db's and it sounds awesome!! No problems at all with keeping up. There is just so much headroom. Also now all the seats have about equal amount of bass(I was expecting this with multiples but wow!!) The ULF is so much more intense. When Hulk is mashing the abomination with the police car you can feel the ULF unlike before with the HSU that scene was lacking a lot. I had my wife come watch a few clips with me and I was grinning ear to ear. She asked why are you smiling so much. I said do you even have to ask. I will get some charts up this weekend.

post #9 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Love it. Can't wait to read more impressions and check out some freq response measurements. So you are running the FP10000Q in 4 channel stereo in 4 ohm?

post #10 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Love it. Can't wait to read more impressions and check out some freq response measurements. So you are running the FP10000Q in 4 channel stereo in 4 ohm?
Channel 1&2 bridged with drivers wired in series 8ohm on the dual opposed. Channels 3&4 going to the singles 4ohm. Sub1 out on the 4311 to the dual opposed and sub2 out to the singles. I'm running the MiniDSP with the Stereo 2 way advanced plugin.

post #11 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2fast4u View Post

Channel 1&2 bridged with drivers wired in series 8ohm on the dual opposed. Channels 3&4 going to the singles 4ohm. Sub1 out on the 4311 to the dual opposed and sub2 out to the singles. I'm running the MiniDSP with the Stereo 2 way advanced plugin.

The 4 channel 10Q is working out well for your setup. smile.gif How do you like the amp overall? I just got my FP14, but haven't had much chance to play with it, let alone listen or really crank it up.

post #12 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The 4 channel 10Q is working out well for your setup. smile.gif How do you like the amp overall? I just got my FP14, but haven't had much chance to play with it, let alone listen or really crank it up.
Amp is awesome to say the least. It drives the UXLs hard with no problems. The speakon connectors were different but they are growing on me. Makes for a clean look on the cabinets with them flush mounted. I'm sure you will enjoy the new amp. When are you going to get the other 4 daytons? So you can run 4 per channel smile.gif

post #13 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 11
Looking great!!!
post #14 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2fast4u View Post

When are you going to get the other 4 daytons? So you can run 4 per channel smile.gif

My guess is late December or early January. Yep, the plan is to run 4 per channel in 4 ohm stereo. 1100 watts to each, perfect! biggrin.gif

post #15 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

I have cabinet noise on the dual opposed box at certain frequencies(sounds like something vibrating against something else). Maybe the driver basket against the cutout? I will play around with REW some more and try to pin point the frequency. Anyone have any other ideas on what could be causing this?

post #16 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to get rid of the cabinet noise by tightening the driver. Here is a graph. I'm still working on it. I need to get rid of the null at 80hz. Mostly flat to 12hz. Not to bad for my first time with REW and the MiniDSP.

post #17 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Was this taken with the mains on? If not I'd check that, that 80hz dip might smooth out based on xover point.

That's also an ugly dip at 11hz. Have you played with phase at all?

The rest actually looks pretty decent and is set up nicely to apply a house curve.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #18 of 24 Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that curve overall looks pretty good. I would for sure look at phase with the mains and/or adjusting the xover point. What filters have you applied so far?

Glad to hear you got rid of the cab noise. It's usually something simple like that. smile.gif

post #19 of 24 Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think that curve overall looks pretty good. I would for sure look at phase with the mains and/or adjusting the xover point. What filters have you applied so far?
Glad to hear you got rid of the cab noise. It's usually something simple like that. smile.gif
I first ran audyssey, then ran a sweep and let REW generate filters for the MiniDSP. That is as far as I have got. I think audyssey is setting the levels on my subs about 6dbs low. I will run a full sweep and then I should know for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Was this taken with the mains on? If not I'd check that, that 80hz dip might smooth out based on xover point.
That's also an ugly dip at 11hz. Have you played with phase at all?
The rest actually looks pretty decent and is set up nicely to apply a house curve.
The mains were on and crossed at 100hz. I have not messed with phase at all except what audyssey has done.

post #20 of 24 Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Audyssey sets my subs 6-8DB low too, it's crazy. I always whip out my RS meter after and have to bump the levels back up. I typically run them 6db or so hot though after EQ. cool.gif Take a look and see what filters REW has applied. What SPL targets and max adjustments/parameters have you defined in REW?

post #21 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Audyssey sets my subs 6-8DB low too, it's crazy. I always whip out my RS meter after and have to bump the levels back up. I typically run them 6db or so hot though after EQ. cool.gif Take a look and see what filters REW has applied. What SPL targets and max adjustments/parameters have you defined in REW?

SPL target set to 75dB. Range 10 to 150Hz. Max boost 9 dB and flatness 3 dB. I was able to spend some more time today with REW and MiniDSP.

I was able to clean everything up but the null at 11Hz. Same 1/12 smoothing.

post #22 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nice work!

-Greg

post #23 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Man your response cleaned up great!
post #24 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Man your response cleaned up great!
Thank you. I changed the cross over to 90Hz, added a hpf at 12Hz to free up some amp power along with some other filters to clean everything up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Nice work!
Thank you. I enjoyed reading your thread and it was one of the main reasons I went with the UXL-18. Great work on your build.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page