post #91 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

Nice! My 2nd favorite finish they did behind African Macassar Ebony. I had a set of RS450's and Bigfoot in Ebony and loved them.
I really like the ebony finish! I have a set of baby RS125's in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What was the name of this thread again? biggrin.gif

Moho here -- it was perfect for the house to go with ash floors, hickory cabinets throughout, oak trim, and many birch pieces of furniture.

This was the day they arrived years ago -- the downstairs family room they are currently in wasn't ready to accept them yet, but they simply had to be hooked up. Temporary setup that sat this way for almost 2 weeks. smile.gif

Every time I consider running a different speaker in the room, I go listen for a 1/2 hour or so. This seems to cure the itch to sell.
post #93 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
Aaron, I remember when you got those and those pictures specifically from the forum. Man audio is a small world smile.gif Glad you're still enjoying them! I really do need to pick up a pair eventually ...

Scott
post #94 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Wow, I really like that finish!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #95 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aaron, I remember when you got those and those pictures specifically from the forum. Man audio is a small world smile.gif Glad you're still enjoying them! I really do need to pick up a pair eventually ...

Scott

Sorry for the same 'ol boring material! biggrin.gif They are my go-to shots because I've only snapped a few of these things...only have one pretty bad pic of them in their current home because I use that area as a test bed, and there is always something going on that would screw up the pic. Currently have 5 Yorkville Unitys strewn about in front of the 6's...too much fun trying to diagnose an inop CD in one of the cabs I just got in; the CD works fine direct connected (the problem appears to be somewhere in the crossover board...which really $ucks trying to diagnose as the crossovers are chock full of components).
post #96 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

Sorry for the same 'ol boring material! biggrin.gif They are my go-to shots because I've only snapped a few of these things...only have one pretty bad pic of them in their current home because I use that area as a test bed, and there is always something going on that would screw up the pic. Currently have 5 Yorkville Unitys strewn about in front of the 6's...too much fun trying to diagnose an inop CD in one of the cabs I just got in; the CD works fine direct connected (the problem appears to be somewhere in the crossover board...which really $ucks trying to diagnose as the crossovers are chock full of components).

No they're great pics! Beautiful speakers. One of my friends up in Seattle has the same ones as you, they're great. We had a fun evening comparing his Emo XPA-1's powering them with a Melody MK88 tube amp. The Melody trounced the Emo's hands down. Great, now you're making me want to get a set again ... haha!

Scott

EDIT: Oh and to stay on thread topic, they threw a HUGE center stage! We watched many movies sans center channel and they did extremely well smile.gif
post #97 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Me either! Im an LS guy for life I think. cool.gif

As for how the LS-C performs, well I spent a few hours last night getting it integrated in the rig. As you know the mains already throw a HUGE soundstage, but with this center channel in the mix its like the 3 channels are one massive speaker. It just blends in so well and side to side pans are seamless. Its the perfect match to the big line arrays. smile.gif
+1

Cool, thanks Dogg! Looking at the pic, it seems kind of crazy that one little NEO3 can keep up adequately with the big line of NEO8's!

How do you like the center channel being at that height sitting on the cabinet? Where to place an LS-C is a dilemma I'm having. This isn't my main HT room and only has a 60" plasma for a screen; my cabinet is about the same height as yours and I would then have to place the 60" on top of the LS-C...this raises the screen higher than I want plus would look a bit goofy (without building some sort of extensions to the sides of the LS-C to make it appear wider), but I think it betters the option of trying to float this not-small center 2' out from the rear wall over the screen.
post #98 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No they're great pics! Beautiful speakers. One of my friends up in Seattle has the same ones as you, they're great. We had a fun evening comparing his Emo XPA-1's powering them with a Melody MK88 tube amp. The Melody trounced the Emo's hands down.
Scott

EDIT: Oh and to stay on thread topic, they threw a HUGE center stage! We watched many movies sans center channel and they did extremely well smile.gif

Must be Mike (Beatcoaster)? If so, it definitely is a small world. We chatted on Audiocircle a few years back...he was planning on building out a GR Research LS-C kit to replace his X-Voce; do you know if he ever got around to doing it? The kit is the direction I will probably go as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 
Great, now you're making me want to get a set again ... haha!

They seem to keep crossing your path...wouldn't doubt if you find yourself with a pair someday... smile.gif

Are you going to do one of Erich's kits? I remember you liked the LaScala quite a bit...these should be reminiscent of them, only better.
post #99 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Must be Mike (Beatcoaster)? If so, it definitely is a small world. We chatted on Audiocircle a few years back...he was planning on building out a GR Research LS-C kit; do you know if he ever got around to doing it? The kit is the direction I will probably go as well.
They seem to keep crossing your path...wouldn't doubt if you find yourself with a pair someday... smile.gif

Are you going to do one of Erich's kits? I remember you liked the LaScala quite a bit...these should be reminiscent of them, only better.

Haha yeah that was Mike. Super great guy. I don't think he ever ended up doing the center, had twins a short while later and then they started building a vacation property in Eastern Washington.

I am going to do the Tempest12 kit. I really really liked my La Scalas. If these can get close to the sound I had with the La Scalas then I'll be a very happy camper. If they're better than I'll be like my 2-year old on Halloween! Haha!
post #100 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool, thanks Dogg! Looking at the pic, it seems kind of crazy that one little NEO3 can keep up adequately with the big line of NEO8's!

How do you like the center channel being at that height sitting on the cabinet? Where to place an LS-C is a dilemma I'm having. This isn't my main HT room and only has a 60" plasma for a screen; my cabinet is about the same height as yours and I would then have to place the 60" on top of the LS-C...this raises the screen higher than I want plus would look a bit goofy (without building some sort of extensions to the sides of the LS-C to make it appear wider), but I think it betters the option of trying to float this not-small center 2' out from the rear wall over the screen.

Height wise it works for me, pretty much at ear level when sitting down. Tell ya one thing though, your 60in is gonna look extra small next this beast of a speaker! biggrin.gif
post #101 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 997
If I ever sell mine, not sure why I would do that...but I have no idea how I could get them to portland for you, haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #102 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
You know ... you guys could always build your own LS6. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #103 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

If I ever sell mine, not sure why I would do that...but I have no idea how I could get them to portland for you, haha

If you ever sell them let me know, I might possibly be interested. I work for a national distributor and do freight every day. I'm sure we could figure something out biggrin.gif

Scott
post #104 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You know ... you guys could always build your own LS6. wink.gif
Why would I wanna do that when I can just buy them.tongue.gif
Quote:

If you ever sell them let me know, I might possibly be interested. I work for a national distributor and do freight every day. I'm sure we could figure something out biggrin.gif

Scott
There's a set of Piano Rosewoods on Agon. Been there for a while too.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-av123-ls6-line-source-speakers-in-piano-rosewood-av123-onix-ls6-2012-12-30-speakers-78703
post #105 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Wow, I really like that finish!

Thanks beast! I really enjoy your BEM as well...they were my second choice when I pre-ordered mine. Weren't you able to pick up yours for something utterly ridiculous like $1700?

Have you guys seen there's a dude named Jerrin on the Emotiva forum that uses LS9's for fronts (I believe 3 of them), LS-9's for sides!, and LS-6's for rears! eek.gif
post #106 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:

Why would I wanna do that when I can just buy them.tongue.gif
There's a set of Piano Rosewoods on Agon. Been there for a while too.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-av123-ls6-line-source-speakers-in-piano-rosewood-av123-onix-ls6-2012-12-30-speakers-78703

Cuz this is DIY, brah! tongue.gif

Quote:

Thanks beast! I really enjoy your BEM as well...they were my second choice when I pre-ordered mine. Weren't you able to pick up yours for something utterly ridiculous like $1700?

Have you guys seen there's a dude named Jerrin on the Emotiva forum that uses LS9's for fronts (I believe 3 of them), LS-9's for sides!, and LS-6's for rears! eek.gif

I...... I must see this. eek.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #107 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He sure did! Probably didnt drive more than 10minutes to pick those suckers up either! Never did collect my finders fee. tongue.gif

Jerrin's a cool dude, was just chatting with him about the LS-C today.

Quote:

Cuz this is DIY, brah! tongue.gif
Oh yeah huh??!tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #108 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I...... I must see this. eek.gif

Me too! I've seen Jerrin post on the Emo forum but haven't ever seen his system...just spent 10 minutes searching for pics of it over there and came up empty handed.
Quote:

Jerrin's a cool dude, was just chatting with him about the LS-C today.

Eric, can you coax Jerrin into posting a few pics of his own personal LS-Fest so we can all drool on our keyboards?
Quote:

He sure did! Probably didnt drive more than 10minutes to pick those suckers up either! Never did collect me finders fee. tongue.gif.

That dirty dog! Funny how passing on the audio good karma works sometimes though. Early last year I was scoping out one of MKTheater's crazy upgrade deals when he was getting rid of his F-20 front-loaded horns. I coveted them badly as he went down to $100 plus was throwing in a 760-watt Ashly amp as well, so I called up a high school buddy that lived about an hour away from him and my buddy became the proud owner of a deal of a lifetime horn sub. I of course wished I could have scooped up on that deal for $100, but was happy for my bud being able to reap the good fortune...then this summer, my buddy made the drive back to Montana and ended up bringing me back 2 huge boxes of OC703 that James had thrown in to the already crazy good deal. Maybe Beast is going to hook you up someday? biggrin.gif
post #109 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too! I've seen Jerrin post on the Emo forum but haven't ever seen his system...just spent 10 minutes searching for pics of it over there and came up empty handed.
Eric, can you coax Jerrin into posting a few pics of his own personal LS-Fest so we can all drool on our keyboards?
That dirty dog! Funny how passing on the audio good karma works sometimes though. Early last year I was scoping out one of MKTheater's crazy upgrade deals when he was getting rid of his F-20 front-loaded horns. I coveted them badly as he went down to $100 plus was throwing in a 760-watt Ashly amp as well, so I called up a high school buddy that lived about an hour away from him and my buddy became the proud owner of a deal of a lifetime horn sub. I of course wished I could have scooped up on that deal for $100, but was happy for my bud being able to reap the good fortune...then this summer, my buddy made the drive back to Montana and ended up bringing me back 2 huge boxes of OC703 that James had thrown in to the already crazy good deal. Maybe Beast is going to hook you up someday? biggrin.gif

I'll shoot Jerrin a PM in a bit.

Actually Beast already hooked me up. He gave me and my buddies a DEMO and some brewski's. We're all square as far as im concerned biggrin.gif.
post #110 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll shoot Jerrin a PM in a bit.

Actually Beast already hooked me up. He gave me and my buddies a DEMO and some brewski's. We're all square as far as im concerned biggrin.gif.

That's right...I recall seeing that you were going to be out in his 'hood on business a while ago -- so audio karma came back around and it's all good! smile.gif It's always cool to experience other systems...that's something I don't get to do up here in the sticks.

What kind of work do you do Eric?
post #111 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's right...I recall seeing that you were going to be out in his 'hood on business a while ago -- so audio karma came back around and it's all good! smile.gif It's always cool to experience other systems...that's something I don't get to do up here in the sticks.

What kind of work do you do Eric?
I work for BMW. They have a factory and test track facility out in the Greenville area I got a chance to check out. cool.gif
post #112 of 126 Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I work for BMW. They have a factory and test track facility out in the Greenville area I got a chance to check out. cool.gif

That sounds like a job that doesn't $uck! Do you ever track the Viper? (I am doing my damnedest to continue the off-road excursion that this thread has become) biggrin.gif
post #113 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I just received Eric's request for pictures, but what I have is very limited as the wife and I are trying to sell our house and most of my stuff has already been moved out. My first pair of 9's were bought directly from AV123. I had ordered the 6's, but my GF at the time convinced me to splurge on the 9's instead and supposedly, I had the first order of BEM 9's. I also worked out an arrangement with Danny and Mark, to put custom crossovers in these before they shipped to me. However, due to several mildly worrysome emails from Mark and others, I changed my finish to piano black as he had them on hand. The following picture is right after I had received them and just put them in the den area (as the HT had not yet been built).

My father is now temporarily enjoying these (and "storing" them for us).

About a year and a half later, I found a deal on some Cherry LS6's for a great price ($2350), so I had to pick them up. Then several months later I ran into a truly smoking deal on some Moho LS9's ($2900) and luckily was in good enough shape I could pick them up. After listening for awhile, I didn't like the stock crossovers in the new Moho's so I decided to change it entirely and go external. Here are some of the parts I ordered. I still have to buy a couple more caps, but then I will be ready to build these out.

Long story short, the only pair currently at my house are the 6's (the moho 9's are also at my parents' house and are emptied out and awaiting the new parts, rewiring these things is NOT fun) , but they too will be leaving for storage soon. I'll try to get some pics of the moho 9's and the 6's this weekend if anyone wants some.

Once we sell our house and I build the new HT, I'd be happy to share pics of everything together. Honestly though, it will likely be a couple of years until everything is finished.
post #114 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
used to have jtr quintuples, L/C/R

currently running Yorkville U215's in L/R only

definitely setting up my center when i get the chance to. even though i have 2 more u215s sitting around, most likely putting in a u15 to make it easier on the eyes and for setting up.
post #115 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Jerrin, thanks for posting. That will be an amazing speaker system once it is all united into the same room! And quite eclectic as well with the Piano Black, Moho, and Cherry finishes. smile.gif I imagine you are going to go with a PB LS-C in the new room? How do you like the 4 IXL-18 IB in your current room? Going to do another IB in the new room? (If so, you'd probably have to double up on the drivers to keep the scale proper). wink.gif
post #116 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

used to have jtr quintuples, L/C/R

currently running Yorkville U215's in L/R only

definitely setting up my center when i get the chance to. even though i have 2 more u215s sitting around, most likely putting in a u15 to make it easier on the eyes and for setting up.

Back to the thread at hand...

Must not have an AT screen to use one of your spare U215's? Hard to beat 3 matching speakers up front.

I've been playing with U15's and feel the same way about the center (although it wouldn't matter if it was U15's or other speakers). The phantom center just doesn't lock the image on the screen for people at the sides of the room (not to mention that there is discrete coding for the center you are redistributing when going phantom).

Oh no, feel another derail coming on... Do you know where the crossover board is located on your U215's? I recently received 3 more U15's to go with the pair I had and one of them arrived with the HF not working. I unplugged the CD's lead from the board and found out it worked fine when given a direct signal...so my problem is either somewhere in the crossover/eq boards or perhaps a bad connection at the input panel. Doing research on the issue yesterday, I found out that the first gen U15's (of which these 3 turned out to be) have had many issues with their crossovers -- they were mounted at the bottom of the cabinet and are prone to damage from vibration/resonance -- 2007-up models had them mounted at the midpoint of the cabinet. One problem in particular are the chokes in the eq circuit that look fine but have disconnected from the board...this causes the MF to sound poor. I was wondering if this might be affecting diamonddelts as he is a bit critical of his. Again, no idea if the U215's even have a bottom mounted crossover, but with the heavily-populated boards that these things have and the rough environment that most of these are used in, it might not be a bad idea to give them an inspection anyway (saw some failures with later generations too).
post #117 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Back to the thread at hand...

Must not have an AT screen to use one of your spare U215's? Hard to beat 3 matching speakers up front.

I've been playing with U15's and feel the same way about the center (although it wouldn't matter if it was U15's or other speakers). The phantom center just doesn't lock the image on the screen for people at the sides of the room (not to mention that there is discrete coding for the center you are redistributing when going phantom).

Oh no, feel another derail coming on... Do you know where the crossover board is located on your U215's? I recently received 3 more U15's to go with the pair I had and one of them arrived with the HF not working. I unplugged the CD's lead from the board and found out it worked fine when given a direct signal...so my problem is either somewhere in the crossover/eq boards or perhaps a bad connection at the input panel. Doing research on the issue yesterday, I found out that the first gen U15's (of which these 3 turned out to be) have had many issues with their crossovers -- they were mounted at the bottom of the cabinet and are prone to damage from vibration/resonance -- 2007-up models had them mounted at the midpoint of the cabinet. One problem in particular are the chokes in the eq circuit that look fine but have disconnected from the board...this causes the MF to sound poor. I was wondering if this might be affecting diamonddelts as he is a bit critical of his. Again, no idea if the U215's even have a bottom mounted crossover, but with the heavily-populated boards that these things have and the rough environment that most of these are used in, it might not be a bad idea to give them an inspection anyway (saw some failures with later generations too).

definitely hard to beat 3 matching speakers up front, especially with these constant directivity speakers where i can definitely tell that there is nothing coming from the center.
i have rev 1 and rev 2 u215s, the rev 1's were mounted in the same slot as the horn, which is center of speaker, i have not opened the rev 2's up yet. Thanks for the heads up, if anything sounds weird, i will know why.

No AT screen, this is a living room, i'm lucky enough to have a 106" screen when needed. 2 spare u215s, guess i bought 2, too many.
post #118 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you ever track the Viper? (I am doing my damnedest to continue the off-road excursion that this thread has become) biggrin.gif
Not as often as I'd like to, but yeah the snake's seen its share of tracks. A couple of years ago we we're sponsoring a bunch of events for the BMWCCA. Can you say free track time?! biggrin.gif My avatar pic was taken at California Speedway (or whatever it's called now.)

Thanks for posting the pics Jerrin! cool.gif
post #119 of 126 Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Jerrin, thanks for posting. That will be an amazing speaker system once it is all united into the same room! And quite eclectic as well with the Piano Black, Moho, and Cherry finishes. smile.gif I imagine you are going to go with a PB LS-C in the new room? How do you like the 4 IXL-18 IB in your current room? Going to do another IB in the new room? (If so, you'd probably have to double up on the drivers to keep the scale proper). wink.gif

*laughs* Yes, I suppose it is quite eclectic given the different finishes. Thank goodness my wife doesn't mind. Though in the next room, I doubt it will be a big problem given the front will be all black.

I will be picking up a LS-C eventually. I've spoken to Danny several times about the CC and he always has told me that the best performing option will be the LS-C, unless possibly, if one has a perf screen.

I do love my IB. I have a line array under my screen. Next time, I'll be doing two manifolds. If I can get a few other people to join me for the order (so they will make these) , I'll go with 8 FI 21' drivers for the IB. If not, I'll probably use their 18s.
post #120 of 126 Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 12
Hello Guys

My room (dedicated room treated room) has AV123 Ref 3 all around (front + rears) w/o a center. I tried the Ref 100 center and didn't like it too much so I've been w/o the center for a few years.

At one point, I wanted to "upgrade" to the LS6 but I've heard the LS kind of speakers are more suited for far field. My main seats are 20 feet away but my kids usually seat on the floor around 6-10 feet away from the screen. What's your experience on near-field seating locations for the line array speakers?

My other dilemma is that the AV123 finish are way too nice to put them in storage. I have a ref.1 setup that stayed in boxes for 5+ years. The thought of putting the the BEM Ref3 in the same corner of the basement doesn't sit well at all.

Thanks
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs