Noob LCR build questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, this is my first post in the DIY speakers section. I have been reading articles for a few months, and would like to construct my first set of fronts. I am thinking about a set of sealed mains, like the SEOS Deltalite 12's, and a center like the SEOS Dayton DS4. I have (at least) two questions.

1) has anyone build the Dayton DS4 center in a long, wide cabinet, with the mid-woofers arrayed to both sides of the waveguide? This would result in a CC that I could more easily locate below the TV (mitusbishi WD-82742). Would I be giving up any significant performance by squishing the cabinet down like that, as long as I maintained the appropriate volume? If anyone has done this, I would love to see the material layout used.

2) Are the Deltalite 12's a good match for the DS4 Center? I see one used a Denovo 350 compression driver, and the other uses a 360. Are they close enough to provide good voicing similarity?

At this point, I can bend a bit more on cost in order to get a better end result, and/or easier construction. In spite of this I would not hesitate to build my own CC cabinet if the low/long configuration looks viable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Is above the tv an option? Or possibly do a phantom center?

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
like brian mentioned, if you go with a seos and don't sit wayyy off axis, two speakers can be used with a phantom center with good results. the deltalite 12 seos is a good option.

edit: there are other options in the works too. the measurements just haven't been posted up yet.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to keep a physical center, as I do have some off axis seating (it's not the main listening position) to the left. I also have some high frequency hearing loss, and I have noticed that a crystal clear center channel seems to help a lot with dialogue in noisy movie scenes. Having a "bright" tweeter like the horns used by Klipsch seems to help with that too.

Mounting above the TV would be a possibility, but would complicate the speaker mounting a fair amount. Because I intend to build a mounting platform/console for the TV and CC that will sit over the hearth at the end of the room, it will be easiest to locate the CC below the screen.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page