Here's some more photos, including the finished product:
Well, it's all set up and running now. Audyssey works fine, I think--I'll find some testing software and see what my frequency response is looking like. Watched HTTYD last night (well the end fight scene anyways) as soon as I got it running. Had never seen the movie with a system that can play real deep (my outgoing sub is an Outlaw lfm2 ex (name?--whatever their best one is). Results were inconclusive... it definitely can dig down low and play loud but the real deep stuff seems to get a bit uncontrolled. Then again, maybe some breaking in will smooth things out a bit. Or maybe it's just HTTYD--everything else I popped in seem to be much more controlled and tight. Master and Commander, Finding Nemo and watched all of TDKR, which sounded AWESOME!
To answer your question FOH, no, I did not... is that just to make sure the drivers can handle the amp or to see at what point I can go to? More details on The Kracken... uh, well the manifolds are 26x22x22, made out of 3/4" MDF. With some pine or something for some bracing. The driver side panels are two pieces of MDF glued together. Used a router with a DIY circle cutting jig for the cut-outs. I was initially going to take the finish to a gloss, but there was additional smoothing out to do and they look pretty awesome as they are, so, if I ever decide to make them look more pertiful, I'll put some more wood filler and do some more sanding. As they stand now, I used 60 and then 220 grit sandpaper with both the belt sander and then palm sander, put on some spray primer, coat of flat paint, sanded with the 220 then 600 wet sanding (which, holy cow!!--that was like magic) and then put another coat of paint on. They got a bit scratched up getting installed so I think I'm at least going to put another coat of paint on.
The next part of this project is to replace the fans in the amp, as they are a bit loud. Oh, and find a speaker connection wall plate that doesn't suck. I'm using banana plugs and both sides (inside and outside) can't both fit in at the same time. Hmm... actually, I have spade connectors, maybe I'll swap out the backside with those.
OH!--and by the way, whoever designed the tee nuts I got (or all of them if there's only one type in the type that just hammers in) needs a slap in the face!
Why. the. hell... do the "claws" face the wrong way! They strip out when there's any decent amount of torque applied!! I was on the LAST TWO when they started stripping out, that turned the last 15 minutes of the jobs into a 2+ hour nightmare.