Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hello all,

Today I'm installing my 2 manifold 4 x Dayton DCS450-4-18 IB sub in my house. I'm driving them with a Crown XLS 602 amp; subs in each manifold will be wired in series, so each manifold is 8 ohms. The back end is going into my bass-ment (har!).

Question: As I do not have the highly heralded Behringer feedback destroyer (...Yet?), I will simply be using the Audyssey EQ in my Onkyo 806... my question is, Audyssey won't do something stupid like cut off the bass at the -3db point, will it? I once heard murmurings of Audyssey destroying bass in the DIY subs (didn't really dig into the issue though and couldn't find the thread I thought I recalled--"Audyssey killing your bass" or something or other) and was wondering if that was why and/or if it will do that at all. Assuming that that part is NOT true, I also recall hearing that Audyssey EQs only down to 10hz--is that correct?

Here's a pic of the manifolds:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
If anything it may add a lot of boost significantly below the -3dB point.

It can be great in many rooms and systems, however a bit unpredictable with issues such as this. Be careful.

Have you ran free air excursion testing on your drivers, with your amp? If so (hopefully, it's a valuable tool), can the config handle all the amp has on tap? How does the driver behave just before,... and as it encounters it's limits? Free air, this is easy, as it doesn't blow you away. Once mounted, excursion testing becomes a noisy proposition.

Any more details on the IB?

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's some more photos, including the finished product:

Well, it's all set up and running now. Audyssey works fine, I think--I'll find some testing software and see what my frequency response is looking like. Watched HTTYD last night (well the end fight scene anyways) as soon as I got it running. Had never seen the movie with a system that can play real deep (my outgoing sub is an Outlaw lfm2 ex (name?--whatever their best one is). Results were inconclusive... it definitely can dig down low and play loud but the real deep stuff seems to get a bit uncontrolled. Then again, maybe some breaking in will smooth things out a bit. Or maybe it's just HTTYD--everything else I popped in seem to be much more controlled and tight. Master and Commander, Finding Nemo and watched all of TDKR, which sounded AWESOME!

To answer your question FOH, no, I did not... is that just to make sure the drivers can handle the amp or to see at what point I can go to? More details on The Kracken... uh, well the manifolds are 26x22x22, made out of 3/4" MDF. With some pine or something for some bracing. The driver side panels are two pieces of MDF glued together. Used a router with a DIY circle cutting jig for the cut-outs. I was initially going to take the finish to a gloss, but there was additional smoothing out to do and they look pretty awesome as they are, so, if I ever decide to make them look more pertiful, I'll put some more wood filler and do some more sanding. As they stand now, I used 60 and then 220 grit sandpaper with both the belt sander and then palm sander, put on some spray primer, coat of flat paint, sanded with the 220 then 600 wet sanding (which, holy cow!!--that was like magic) and then put another coat of paint on. They got a bit scratched up getting installed so I think I'm at least going to put another coat of paint on.

The next part of this project is to replace the fans in the amp, as they are a bit loud. Oh, and find a speaker connection wall plate that doesn't suck. I'm using banana plugs and both sides (inside and outside) can't both fit in at the same time. Hmm... actually, I have spade connectors, maybe I'll swap out the backside with those.

OH!--and by the way, whoever designed the tee nuts I got (or all of them if there's only one type in the type that just hammers in) needs a slap in the face!

Why. the. hell... do the "claws" face the wrong way! They strip out when there's any decent amount of torque applied!! I was on the LAST TWO when they started stripping out, that turned the last 15 minutes of the jobs into a 2+ hour nightmare.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Here's some more photos, including the finished product:

Well, it's all set up and running now. Audyssey works fine, I think--I'll find some testing software and see what my frequency response is looking like. Watched HTTYD last night (well the end fight scene anyways) as soon as I got it running. Had never seen the movie with a system that can play real deep (my outgoing sub is an Outlaw lfm2 ex (name?--whatever their best one is). Results were inconclusive... it definitely can dig down low and play loud but the real deep stuff seems to get a bit uncontrolled. Then again, maybe some breaking in will smooth things out a bit. Or maybe it's just HTTYD--everything else I popped in seem to be much more controlled and tight. Master and Commander, Finding Nemo and watched all of TDKR, which sounded AWESOME!
To answer your question FOH, no, I did not... is that just to make sure the drivers can handle the amp or to see at what point I can go to? More details on The Kracken... uh, well the manifolds are 26x22x22, made out of 3/4" MDF. With some pine or something for some bracing. The driver side panels are two pieces of MDF glued together. Used a router with a DIY circle cutting jig for the cut-outs. I was initially going to take the finish to a gloss, but there was additional smoothing out to do and they look pretty awesome as they are, so, if I ever decide to make them look more pertiful, I'll put some more wood filler and do some more sanding. As they stand now, I used 60 and then 220 grit sandpaper with both the belt sander and then palm sander, put on some spray primer, coat of flat paint, sanded with the 220 then 600 wet sanding (which, holy cow!!--that was like magic) and then put another coat of paint on. They got a bit scratched up getting installed so I think I'm at least going to put another coat of paint on.
The next part of this project is to replace the fans in the amp, as they are a bit loud. Oh, and find a speaker connection wall plate that doesn't suck. I'm using banana plugs and both sides (inside and outside) can't both fit in at the same time. Hmm... actually, I have spade connectors, maybe I'll swap out the backside with those.
OH!--and by the way, whoever designed the tee nuts I got (or all of them if there's only one type in the type that just hammers in) needs a slap in the face!

Why. the. hell... do the "claws" face the wrong way! They strip out when there's any decent amount of torque applied!! I was on the LAST TWO when they started stripping out, that turned the last 15 minutes of the jobs into a 2+ hour nightmare.

Good looking system man!!! I guess you see why most of use HATE T-nuts? hehehehe

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! I actually had no idea they were so awful.. or hated. I thought they were supposed to be some godsend. It's a good idea, the design just needs some tweaking.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page